Retired #11: David Zaharakis - Survivin'

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 11. David Zaharakis

Was at the game, counted 6 goals but missed the first goal after half time as we went out to watch some cricket. Was hoping it was him that kicked it, sounds like he did! 32 disposals wouldn't surprise me either, he was busy all day. Used it well on most occasions and his run and carry will excite the faithful. Just so happy with his effort.

Was at the game, counted 6 goals but missed the first goal after half time as we went out to watch some cricket. Was hoping it was him that kicked it, sounds like he did! 32 disposals wouldn't surprise me either, he was busy all day. Used it well on most occasions and his run and carry will excite the faithful. Just so happy with his effort.
thanks everyone for the feed back any news on other players?:thumbsu:

Zaharakis makes Essendon selectors take note

The 30-possession, seven goal performance of Bomber recruit, David Zaharakis, in Sunday's practice match between Bendigo and Geelong has coach Adrian Hickmott predicting an Essendon debut in the near future.

Hickmott says the emerging midfielder impressed coaching staff with his work rate and gutsy performance against a VFL team almost entirely made up of Geelong listed players.

“David was one of the stand outs on the weekend, he continually pushed back hard, ran through the lines and created space out there,” Hickmott said.

“It was good to see his work rate at its peak, he went the extra mile to help his team-mates out when it counted. He played the majority of the game in the mid-field, but also pushed deep in the forward line and got some goals.

“He has done everything we’ve asked of him and if he keeps this form up he will apply pressure to the coaches for a spot in the senior team.”

The 19-year-old - who was selected in the 2008 National Draft with pick No.23 - had a big impact on the game despite the Bomber’s 48-point loss.

Hickmott also acknowledged the promise of other emerging young Bombers and said he thought many of them were starting to grow in confidence.
“Michael Still was certainly an improved player taking 10 marks for the game, Bryce Carroll showed newly found poise and Irish recruit Michael Quinn's skills looked sharp under pressure,” he said.
“Darcy Daniher was another who impressed. He played on Tom Hawkins, who kicked a few goals but Darcy looked to have the better of him on the day. As development coach, Darcy would defiantly be a name that I would be putting up for senior selection.”

8 possesions, 3 marks in his first quarter of AFL football. Very early days, but I am firmly on the bandwagon. :thumbsu:

Daniel who?

Best Essendon debut for at least ten years. Hurley's best debut for 10 years only lasted a week the poor bloke.

Absolutely sensational.

Finally looks like we're getting some quality back into our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I hope a lot of you have learned your lesson and will in future refrain from second guessing Essendons's draft picks. Fantastic debut. 17 Kicks, 4 Handballs, 10 Marks and 4 Tackles... I LOVE HIM!!!! And I am sure the 3,749 Dream Teamers and 5,103 SuperCoaches agree.

His great kicking skill was demonstrated straight away in the first quarter, and definately preferred kicking over handballing, which was great to see. Our fowards should be happy when they know Zacka is the one kicking to them.

Did miss a couple of shots at goal, but I am putting that down to a little bit of nerves at this stage.

Did miss a couple of shots at goal, but I am putting that down to a little bit of nerves at this stage.

Absolutely. Those shots on goal need to be put down as a positive -- both were very gettable and from the near future onwards he will get them.

Getting himself those shots on debut and his 7 VFL goals are the best signs we could hope for, at this stage, for him being a genuine goal kicking mid. I don't want to get carried away, but the signs are definitely good. And that makes me jittery. In a good way.

Well I hope a lot of you have learned your lesson and will in future refrain from second guessing Essendons's draft picks. Fantastic debut. 17 Kicks, 4 Handballs, 10 Marks and 4 Tackles... I LOVE HIM!!!! And I am sure the 3,749 Dream Teamers and 5,103 SuperCoaches agree.

His great kicking skill was demonstrated straight away in the first quarter, and definately preferred kicking over handballing, which was great to see. Our fowards should be happy when they know Zacka is the one kicking to them.

Settle down there mate. One hot day doesn't make a summer. Our drafting has been shocking for many years. Starting to look like we've got it right the last few (time will tell) but the last 10 years of drafting has been very ordinary.

Zaharakis speeds ahead

DAVID Zaharakis has wasted no time roaring into the football fast lane.

The speedy 19-year-old midfielder celebrated his AFL debut last weekend by yesterday being named the AFL's Round 2 NAB Rising Star.
Zaharakis made the step up to the big time in stunning style when he gathered 21 possesions, including a game-high seven inside-50s plus 10 marks, amid the Bombers' 38-point win over Fremantle at Etihad Stadium.
The teenager held his first media conference as an elite level player yesterday and could barely disguise the thrill of it all.
"It was nothing I expected, just to go out there and get a game in Round 2 was great, I didnt even think about getting the Rising Star (nomination). It's a pretty good feeling right now," he said.
"I didnt get any sleep Sunday night, I was re-living the game in my head, it was awesome to be out there and playing with Essendon, the team I've barracked for my whole life. I just still keep replaying the game over and over, probably like a hundred times now.
"Waking up Sunday morning I was really nervous and excited. Once I got out onto the ground I felt pretty comfortable especially after I got those first two kicks. The boys during the week said to just try and get an early touch in the game, so when I got that I felt pretty comfortable."
Zaharakis is originally from Eltham Football Club, which also wears his beloved Essendon colours.
The previous weekend the youngster, who was taken with the No.23 pick overall in last year's AFL Draft, put up an irrestible case for senior selection when had 33 possessions and kicked seven goals for Bendigo Bombers amid a nine-goal belting against Geelong in their VFL practice match.

Come the real thing a week later, he wasted no time in making himself at home.
"As soon as I ran out onto the ground I stood in the middle and just looked around into the stands for a bit, but as soon as the game started I had to concentrate. I was just thinking wow, this I actually happening, this is a dream come true," he said.
By quarter-time in his debut Zaharakis had racked up nine possessions.
"Early on there was certainly a bit of pressure to get the ball, to try and get quick kicks away but I found myself in space quite a few times which allowed me to slow down, calm myself and kick the footy," he recalled.
"I watched the tape of the game yesterday with my designated coach. It wasnt the perfect game, a few things I need to work on but a few things that were good."
Zaharakis and Irish teenager Michael Quinn prvided excited pointers to the future for Bombers fans, a fact that didn't entirely surprise Bomber assistant coach Ashley Prescott.
"Zaharakis had a tremendous first game and showed a lot of composure with the football. What I really like about him, is his hardness at the ball, that he stays low and takes the tackles, some of those kicks inside 50's were fantastic too," Prescott said after the game.
"It probably wasnt a huge surprise because he has a lot of composure and a lot of time for the ball. I felt that he was always going to make the adjustment from VFL to AFL because he doesnt get ahead of himself and as we said he has so much composure."

Zaharakis wins Round 2 Rising Star nomination
essendonfc.com.au

David Zaharakis, who debuted for Essendon on Sunday, is the Round 2 NAB Rising Star.

The 19-year-old starred for the Bombers with 21 disposals and 10 marks in the match against Fremantle and, speaking to media this morning, couldn’t wipe the smile off his face.
“It was nothing I expected, just to go out there and get a game in Round 2 was great, I didn’t even think about getting the rising star. It’s a pretty good feeling right now,” he said.
“I didn’t get any sleep Sunday night, I was re-living the game in my head, it was awesome to be out there and play with Essendon, the team I’ve barracked for my whole life. I just still keep re-playing the game over and over, probably like a hundred times now.
“Waking up Sunday morning I was really nervous and excited. Once I got out onto the ground I felt pretty comfortable especially after I got those first two kicks. The boys during the week said to just try and get an early touch in the game, so when I got that I felt pretty comfortable."

Zaharakis was brought into the side, after a 33-posession, seven goal game in the VFL the previous week.
“As soon as I ran out onto the ground (on Sunday), I stood in the middle and just looked around into the stands for a bit, but as soon as the game started I had to concentrate. I was just thinking wow, this I actually happening, this is a dream come true,” he said.
“Early on there was certainly a bit of pressure to get the ball, to try and get quick kicks away but I found myself in space quite a few times which allowed me to slow down, calm myself and kick the footy.
“I watched the tape of the game yesterday with my designated coach. It wasn’t the perfect game, a few things I need to work on but a few things that were good."

Settle down there mate. One hot day doesn't make a summer. Our drafting has been shocking for many years. Starting to look like we've got it right the last few (time will tell) but the last 10 years of drafting has been very ordinary.
Dont rain on our party Knackers. The last 10 years mean SFA!!!

Just looks a perfect fir for our side.

Clean and quick link man.

A good challenge for him on Saturday night, personally I think he'll jump at the opportunity to take on some of Carlton's bigger names.

THe exact game I was hoping for.. solid but not brilliant tonight..showed he can handle the heat of these games..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back