Retired #11: David Zaharakis - Survivin'

11 - [PLAYERCARD]David Zaharakis[/PLAYERCARD].jpg

Contract Status: Unrestricted Free Agent 2021
Last Game Played: Round 19, 2021 (omit)

Injury Status: n/a

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he's still a damaging player but not the type of player to turn matches on his own, and his natural style isn't to be all crash and bash like a Selwood.

His two blunders in quick succession in the third quarter - burning Walla and then stuffing what should have been a simple pass to (I think) Brown - were absolute killers for momentum and in fact were basically the last yelps we gave before Port steamed clear.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
His two blunders in quick succession in the third quarter - burning Walla and then stuffing what should have been a simple pass to (I think) Brown - were absolute killers for momentum and in fact were basically the last yelps we gave before Port steamed clear.

Both were absolute gimme goals if he executed from memory.

The Camel

Rookie
Aug 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I think he's still a damaging player but not the type of player to turn matches on his own, and his natural style isn't to be all crash and bash like a Selwood.

Hmmm... that's on extreme end of expectations of him. I don't think anybody is asking that. I also see no evidence of him being "damaging". He burns possession more often than not. I look at someone like Shane Edwards as what he SHOULD be (or could have been).

Zaharakis' football career mirrors his work in the media... Occasionally looks good but offers nothing of substance.

Does anyone know his contract status?

Can we trade him somewhere and pay part of his salary? Is there a place that would take a soft half forward (which really is his best position, let's not kid ourselves) who's lost their pace?
Freo? They take anything don't they?

Schnitzengruben

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
He's someone I hope we can ship off to GC. Even for free; just to alleviate cap space.

Zaka is one of the main reasons I'd like player salaries to be public.

Question. When zaka pulls the pin, who will be remembered as the better player, Stanton or Zaka? For me, is Stanton by the length of Flemington straight.

But it outlines our supporters who gave it to Stanton and Zaka has gone through relatively unscathed.

Rednblak

Debutant
Feb 1, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Question. When zaka pulls the pin, who will be remembered as the better player, Stanton or Zaka? For me, is Stanton by the length of Flemington straight.

But it outlines our supporters who gave it to Stanton and Zaka has gone through relatively unscathed.
zaharakis has stagnated since 2011

He just finds ways to have ripper performances every now and then. Tonight would be a good time to do so.

Colonelmot

Senior List
Jul 20, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Our most experienced player with 13 possessions. Where is he playing? Defence? Is he completely out of form or being misused or just a peaheart? He's been in losing teams for so many years now.

RearNaked

Premiership Player
Oct 4, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
TEAM MIR!!!!!!!!!
Playing out of position? Has always been a wingman and has spent a fair chunk there this year, has been moved back occasionally when we are desperate or he isn’t getting a kick on the wing which was the case tonight

Been played down back the majority of the time I’ve seen him

We can't carry high paid senior players that pick and choose when they have a crack.
Then this statement is applicable to 21 of the players tonight.

Back