Retired #11: David Zaharakis - Survivin'

Remove this Banner Ad

Inside mid, he is a consistent player when Woosha get's him to hunt the footy and spread from stoppages. He gets lost playing on the wing...

Zaharakis has become a bit underrated - by Essendon fans and even more so by the general public. He's not a genuine A-grader but he's still a quality footballer that can do real damage and was able to sustain a high level of play for about 15-16 games in the last 2/3rds of the season.

If he can bring that same level to the entire season he'll start to get more recognition again. He's exactly what you want in your 4th or 5th best midfielder. If we can build our midfield quality to the point where he is our 4th or 5th best then we will be looking really good.

It was almost like he got over some kind of physical niggle after about round 6. To be honest, didn’t really see that vein of form+consistency coming. Long may it continue!

Zaharakis has become a bit underrated - by Essendon fans and even more so by the geeneral public. He's not a genuine A-grader but he's still a quality footballer that can do real damage and was able to sustain a high level of play for about 15-16 games in the last 2/3rds of the season.

If he can bring that same level to the entire season he'll start to get more recognition again. He's exactly what you want in your 4th or 5th best midfielder. If we can build our midfield quality to the point where he is our 4th or 5th best then we will be looking really good.

I think this is the point about Zaharakis.

Put the team around him that results in him playing as a B-grader in a structural sense and he is as dangerous a B-grader as there is. I mean that. He shreds teams running on the outside, finds heaps of the ball kicks it beautifully and kicks goals.

It creates a real issue for an opposition. Merrett is a better player, for example, but he doesn't necessarily have the same impact on the way we score that Zaharakis does. Do you risk Merrett getting away from you on the outside (and forward of centre) or do you clamp down on Zaharakis knowing that 5/10 games you can stop him?

There was a time when it seemed that he could be more but we've come far enough to know that he doesn't have the inside game to be an a-grade which is fine because we're developing a lot of other options.

Last edited:
I agree that overall he's a B grade player. But the thing about Zaka is that his top games are A+.

Read an article earlier this year that listed the current players to have 30 possession + 4 goal games. There is only a handful and he is one of them.

I agree that overall he's a B grade player. But the thing about Zaka is that his top games are A+.

Read an article earlier this year that listed the current players to have 30 possession + 4 goal games. There is only a handful and he is one of them.

His impact is massive when he's allowed to roam free. That Gold Coast game is a perfect example. 38 touches, 15 inside 50's including 3 goal assists and 5 clearances. 15 inside 50's is a crazy high number.

Its the exact reason why we need him to be lower down the pecking order. He can't have that same impact when the attention is on him. He doesn't have enough tricks to break the hard tag. That doesn't mean that he can't be a damaging player.

Stephen Hill is a good comparison for what they do on the field. He looks great - as long as the opposition aren't right into him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still no official word on him? I’m concerened that Worsfold’s kick to the leg report is actually a completely broken leg :drunk:

He’s super important to our midfield, especially if the penny’s finally dropped with him that he needs to bring more energy defensively.

Stitches on his forehead, no concussion. Fine to play next week.

David Zaharakis and Jake Stringer both had minor concerns in the match, but Crow said neither had any lasting affects from their respective head and eye injuries.

“David Zaharakis came off bleeding to the head. He had stitches (and) they’re fine.

“He didn’t show any sign of concussion, played out the game and he’ll be available this week.
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2018-04-10/skins-injury-update-rd-4

Zaka is our new Stanton. For some reason he is continually bashed here. Tries harder than most our boys week in, week out. Gets his hands on it consistently. Might be limited in some areas but gives his best...always and that is all you can ask from your players. May not be a brilliant Robbie Flower type but I bet if we had a really good midfield around him he would look better.

He has his issues but he has been our best player so far this year.

One of the few that looked like they gave a glory be today.
I think saying he's been our best player this year is a step too far. He's been decent, but not the best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back