Retired #11: David Zaharakis - Survivin'

Remove this Banner Ad

See my post after the game complimented Zaharakis' running power during the game - It's been regularly posted that his kicking has been disapoointng in 2017.

Agree - his running was quite good through most stages (dropped off a bit towards the end of the game, though that could be said about every player wearing red and black), and his tackling/pressure has improved in recent weeks.

Given our lack of outside polish though, it's absolutely crucial for Zakka to make the right decisions and hit targets with the ball in hand.

Then who is it about? You're the only one talking about him being dropped.
A couple others did call for it in the aftermath of the game last weekend.

I'd like to think it was post-game rage rather than people seriously and rationally thinking he was even remotely in the conversation about someone who should be dropped after that game.

A couple others did call for it in the aftermath of the game last weekend.

I'd like to think it was post-game rage rather than people seriously and rationally thinking he was even remotely in the conversation about someone who should be dropped after that game.

Fair enough, I was just looking briefly through this thread and couldn't see any calls for it. My mistake.

Hasn't stopped. Almost wish we didn't have a bye so there's no break in his outstanding form. 26 disposals, 7 i50's, 9 bounces and ELEVEN TACKLES! This is a bloke we were all criticising for playing bruise free footy and offering no run, now he's playing that link up midfield role we've been wanting but adding the manic tackling to it.

Almost wish we didn't have a bye so there's no break in his outstanding form. 26 disposals, 7 i50's, 9 bounces and ELEVEN TACKLES!.
It's what I said to my cousin after the game tonight, we've hit form effort wise (4qtr efforts) and now we have e the bye. Since this bloke has turned his form around we've been more impressive as a team.

I'm seriously bemused by Zaka, his inconsistency does my head in. But he is immense at the moment! We have enough midfield quality that if Zaka does this sort of thing then we just look a million dollars. Eleven tackles! I will go so far as to say that i cannot see us ever losing a game when Zaka plays like that. On the other hand, if he goes back to his previous form then he is dead weight that will stop us getting anywhere. I'm not comfortable having our aspirations dependent on him TBH.

His possession count was a bit lower than previous weeks, but I thought he was more effective. He had plenty of space on occasions allowing him to penetrate the forward 50, put on tackling pressure, and kicked the ball well (i.e no horrid turnovers). All he needs now is to regain the capacity to goal from 50 on the run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last few weeks he has set the bar at what should be expected.

He can have a bad night with disposal like against Richmond occasionally but as long as he continues to run and provide overlap then thats what should be expected as a minimum.

The tackling and pressure will earn him a great deal of respect amongst the playing group.

He has been very consistent for over a month now. It gives me the feeling it's here to stay. His run adds another dimension to our midfield and there is no way opposition can put work into him without taking attention away from Heppell, Merrett, Watson and Goddard. It is also a reminder of what an upswing in form for Myers will do for the midfield.

I get the feeling that we can explain away his difficulties after the early rounds last year. He came out like a house on fire, but with the lack of quality around him was tagged out of games. Then when we got the band back together he was expected to be purely outside. His running patterns were out of sync as we struggled to get the whole team moving the ball to a plan. Being the sort of player he is he could not compensate for that by being a bull in the contest.

Since that time it has been a symboitic growth for him and the team. As a system takes shape he is running to the right places. As he runs to the right places another piece in the puzzle of our system falls into place. Furthermore, being confident of where he should be means he is more confident to committ to the right contest. Being an outside link player means it is not just about being soft when you think twice about going or not. You have to consider whether you committ to that or use it as a chance to get into space while your opponent is sucked in to it.

Also absorbing thw tackle to then dish off also takes the confidence from knowing wjat you're going to do when the tackle comes. The improve in system has helped with that. It has grown further as his confidence grows.

Back to Myers. With Zaka providing great run linking up forward of the ball and delivering inside 50 we have improved our run there. Myers has a role to play that can sure up two other aspects of the midfield. Firstly, to be better at the stoppage by using his body to hold a good position, which can both help him win ball and create space for Merrett and Heppell to run through. Second is to push back and use his height to block up holes and his long kicking to clear a zone, Especially when our half forward line boasts the height and mobility of Daniher and Stewart. It can also get to the ofdence side of the midfield where players like Zaka and Fanta can provide quick delivery to either Hooker or Bellchambers.

If Goddard takes Myers under his wing he could have a lasting impact on the club.

Not sure but feel like he deserves another '!' after making Polec look like a turtle stuck on it's back going the wrong way on a escalator in quicksand while fighting the rotation of the earth
You can have it for the colourful description if nothing else. I have been adding exclamation marks though :p

Hope he gets himself a good deal and he continues his good form.
He was fairly average early this season but credit to him he has turned it around in great style.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back