Retired #11: David Zaharakis - Survivin'

Remove this Banner Ad

Will play in the VFL next week
David Zaharakis has been slated to play minutes against Footscray this weekend as he builds from a knee injury.

“Zacka’ (David Zaharakis) will play some minutes this week. He completed a solid session on Saturday which ticked off all the markers we wanted from that end stage rehab from the PCL.”

Two injury interrupted years >30 years of age to a player slowing down doesn't give me a lot of confidence he'll have the zip to compete at AFL level. I just don't see a role for him these days.

With the addition of Caldwell adding to the midfield of Merrett, Shiel, Parish, McGrath there are very few minutes for him in that area.

He may push out Ham, Snelling, Cahill but diff roles/players. So interesting to see what they do when he is ready.

Two injury interrupted years >30 years of age to a player slowing down doesn't give me a lot of confidence he'll have the zip to compete at AFL level. I just don't see a role for him these days.

With the addition of Caldwell adding to the midfield of Merrett, Shiel, Parish, McGrath there are very few minutes for him in that area.

He may push out Ham, Snelling, Cahill but diff roles/players. So interesting to see what they do when he is ready.

You'd think we'll push the youth and he'll be depth

If this bloke gets picked ever again we know we’re on the wrong path with Truck.
It’s interesting to note the decline of Murphy at the Blues and the surrounding sentiment from the punters.
It’s appears to be carbon copy of our Zaka predicament. We’ve each got our slow, soft, rusted on list clogger that the club refuses to move on. Both are painfully symbolic of our respective clubs being trapped in outdated methodology, refusal to play kids at appropriate times, poor development and rigid adherence to maintaining the status quo in a maddening cycle of failure.
or maybe I’m looking to far into it....

If this bloke gets picked ever again we know we’re on the wrong path with Truck.
It’s interesting to note the decline of Murphy at the Blues and the surrounding sentiment from the punters.
It’s appears to be carbon copy of our Zaka predicament. We’ve each got our slow, soft, rusted on list clogger that the club refuses to move on. Both are painfully symbolic of our respective clubs being trapped in outdated methodology, refusal to play kids at appropriate times, poor development and rigid adherence to maintaining the status quo in a maddening cycle of failure.
or maybe I’m looking to far into it....
Zaka was never near Murphy though

I’ve had a think and I’ve changed my approach to this bloke now. If he’s going to clog up the list, refuse to acknowledge where he’s at in his career, selfishly insist on keeping a kid out of the side and achieve nothing in a year that’s destined for horrific failure; then I say we play the campaigner every single week and make him earn his coin.....in the ruck.

"It was great to see him back. He played midfield pretty much the whole game and had his rests each quarter. The longer the game went, the better he got."

Guess he's not a defensive forward rolling up the wing anymore after all?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a little more faith in the approach from Rutten to injury and selection. Given the rule changes may suit him, if they think he’ll provide more than someone else then I’d be happy to see how he goes. However I only think he should stay if he is truly killing it or providing valuable leadership. I have my doubts and I don’t want it to stunt development of players but sometimes there can be damage in being too young. I do believe he should be given a chance if (and only if) he’s really knocking down the door in a position that suits where he is far better than the player he replaces (or via injury).

Whose position is he going to take?
That’s nothing to worry about. Positions offer themselves eventually

He might not come in this week. Hard to drop anyone after a 75 point win and probably not the right message.

If Redman isn’t right and Heppell doesn’t get up Zaharakis would come in.

If not, someone gets injured or has a low patch sooner or later.

That’s nothing to worry about. Positions offer themselves eventually

He might not come in this week. Hard to drop anyone after a 75 point win and probably not the right message.

If Redman isn’t right and Heppell doesn’t get up Zaharakis would come in.

If not, someone gets injured or has a low patch sooner or later.
Would be an ideal sub tbh

tumblr_ml01gvUPCG1r18fjgo1_1280.gif

Played alright in the VFL after being the sub...
“David had another good game considering he was the medical sub (AFL) the night before and usually it’s mentally draining to fly back and get yourself up for a game. He got a little bit tired towards the end of the game because of the preparation he had, but he did everything he needed to and had a good game for us.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back