Retired #11: David Zaharakis - Survivin'

Remove this Banner Ad

One of our hardest workers off the field who is always humble enough to work on his deficiencies. Was good all year and trending up. Schade.
Looking forward to when he comes back and best if luck to him with the recovery

I have more offence to the way martin lined up baguley. Absolutely intent on hurting him in the air. no way to protect himself. How this doesn't fall under the guise of protecting players has me ******

At the end of the day, its football, can understand protecting the head but whats great about this game is that you can be put in very vulnerable situations and you have to put your body on the line. I don't mind the Dusty tackle/bump, you tackle to hurt, not because you want to cause serious injury, you want the player to think twice about putting their body on the line again.

Because when he defends as well as he attacks like he was starting to when he got injured he is one of our best players.

I’m aware of that, but if we’re not in the running why return to VFL in round 20?

I’m aware of that, but if we’re not in the running why return to VFL in round 20?
Something for him to aim to recovery wise. Gives him a reason to set targets

Sorry maybe I don’t understand the thread of discussion. Were we talking about him playing VFL over AFL? Either way the sooner he comes back to playing (provided he is fully recovered and fit) the better. How does it benefit anyone not playing him if he’s ready?

Sorry maybe I don’t understand the thread of discussion. Were we talking about him playing VFL over AFL? Either way the sooner he comes back to playing (provided he is fully recovered and fit) the better. How does it benefit anyone not playing him if he’s ready?

We’re srill in it so have him keep training. We may be out of it completely in 2-3 weeks. If we’re say 5-10, 6-9 what’s the point of continuing to get him ready?

He comes back round 20 and possibly 21 in VFL to play rounds 22 and 23?
Let him recover and get ready for next year instead of risk recurring shoulder issues.

We’re srill in it so have him keep training. We may be out of it completely in 2-3 weeks. If we’re say 5-10, 6-9 what’s the point of continuing to get him ready?

He comes back round 20 and possibly 21 in VFL to play rounds 22 and 23?
Let him recover and get ready for next year instead of risk recurring shoulder issues.
I agree don't risk or rush him, but I doubt they will anyway. So if he's ready by then he plays is all I'm saying.

You always play players if they are fit - It's a good building block for the following season, especially if they are coming off a long-term injury.

You always play players if they are fit - It's a good building block for the following season, especially if they are coming off a long-term injury.
Not many come back that late if their team is out of contention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back running but no strength work yet. With that commencing soon and then needing the okay from the surgeon we're still looking at 4 weeks minimum.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2018-07-03/skins-injury-update-rd-16

Fellow on-baller David Zaharakis has also built up his load this week as he recovers from a nasty collarbone injury.

“David Zaharakis is back doing quality running now, he’s building up his volumes - he did eight kilometres today,” Crow said.

“He’s going to be running ready pretty soon and we’ll start building his strength as we’re able. And then we’re looking to the surgeon to clear his structural issue in terms of his availability later this year.”

We are now 5.5 weeks since he was injured, at which time he was given six weeks approximate return date (so next week? Possibly via VFL). Now said to be ahead of schedule and looking to fast-track his return... :think: Perhaps "on schedule" would be more appropriate :shrug:

Bombers supporters will also be buoyed by the news that important midfielder David Zaharakis is tracking well in his recovery from a nasty collarbone injury as he races towards returning to the side.

“The player who is ahead of schedule is David Zaharakis who had surgery on his sternoclavicular joint,” Crow said.

“It’s not a common type of surgery, but it’s gone better than we even expected it to. We’re talking to the surgeon currently about fast-tracking his return to full contact.

“David was involved in half the session today and (is) really hoping to get involved in a lot more training over the coming weeks.

“We could potentially see him in the next couple of matches.”
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2018-07-11/skins-injury-update-rd-17

We are now 5.5 weeks since he was injured, at which time he was given six weeks approximate return date (so next week? Possibly via VFL). Now said to be ahead of schedule and looking to fast-track his return... :think: Perhaps "on schedule" would be more appropriate :shrug:

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2018-07-11/skins-injury-update-rd-17

I thought they re-assessed a few weeks ago that it would take longer to heal and now he's 'ahead of schedule' which equates to roughly being 'on schedule' as per the initial assessment.

Either way I'd be pretty pleased if we had Zaka back in time to play Sydney (working on not playing this week, 1 week of VFL for some fitness/form then into the seniors).

No and why would we? If he is fit to play in his best position then he should play there

Because he's always been pretty reliable around the goals and we're missing a hell of a lot of fire power and quality finishers in the front half, and it's showing.

I'm not saying he's banned from the middle third of the ground, but I think our midfield is now in a place where he can shoulder a little bit less load and play a little bit more forward and hopefully jag a couple.

Hoping he gets up - was missed badly against Collingwood in particular.

If we are going to jag a top 8 spot his return is critical. If he’s already swept off the cobwebs before the Sydney and Richmond games then all the better.

Because he's always been pretty reliable around the goals and we're missing a hell of a lot of fire power and quality finishers in the front half, and it's showing.

I'm not saying he's banned from the middle third of the ground, but I think our midfield is now in a place where he can shoulder a little bit less load and play a little bit more forward and hopefully jag a couple.
We still have fire power up forward - Fantasia, Walla and Stringer (and if he can continue current form, Mckernan).

With Zaka back playing, our midfield will be at full power (probabley the strongest it's been in over a decade) - Heppell, Zerrett, Zaka, Smith, Langford, Parish and Myers, many of whom are currently in very good form. We need to start getting continuity into this group, obviously something we haven't been able to do for a long time. We have talent but continuity is something the better team have that we don't.

We still have fire power up forward - Fantasia, Walla and Stringer (and if he can continue current form, Mckernan).

With Zaka back playing, our midfield will be at full power (probabley the strongest it's been in over a decade) - Heppell, Zerrett, Zaka, Smith, Langford, Parish and Myers, many of whom are currently in very good form. We need to start getting continuity into this group, obviously something we haven't been able to do for a long time. We have talent but continuity is something that the better team have that we don't.
Stringer won't play for the next 2 games minimum. Our forward line is below the average in terms of efficiency this season after topping the charts last season.

After having five players having 20 goals+ last season, four having 30 or more, this year we'd be lucky to have four and no more than 1 (Stringer) for those categories respectively, and that's without even talking about Daniher's 60 last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back