Retired #11: David Zaharakis - Survivin'

Remove this Banner Ad

What ant555 metioned 12 - 24 months ago still echoes in my ears.

Finding a way to ensure David can remain our 4th, 5th, 6th midfielder allows him to do his best work and gives us another dimension to our midfield group

Totally agree with this. His role within our team is similar to Sidebottom at Collingwood. These kind of players aren't geared towards being the number 1 or 2 guys within their teams but can really do damage when let loose. I'm a big fan of Zaka, no he won't ever be a superstar but he'll run all day, is a good kick and dangerous in the forward half of the ground and he's gradually worked on his defensive game too.

Goes into this season as most AFL experienced at Essendon for the first time.

Its crazy to think we don't have a 200 gamer on the list. This post prompted me to take a quick look at our list demographic. I just looked at the senior list.
4 guys 150+ games including Zaka at 187.
7 guys 101 to 150
10 guys 51 to 100
12 guys 0 to 50
5 yet to debut

There's clearly a combination of factors: age (we don't really have that many 30+ guys), the missed season, lack of finals and some of our senior players were not very durable eg Myers/Bellchambers. I've heard we go into next season as the second least experienced list but I don't feel that's too reflective of our list as a lot of the older guys may not have played as many games but I just don't think it matters that much once you're past 100 games. More importantly most of our players that will be getting games have crossed the 50 mark already or will do during next year with only a few exceptions (Francis being the most important imo).

A senior player going through the motions in the pre-season - Hardly a concern.

My concern with him, apart from being a great player, is the level of care demonstrated from him.

To clarify, apart from this mystical defence game Rutton is trying to implement, the other aspect he is trying to instil into this team is "care".
The moment every player genuinely cares for each other, is when a team cohesion occurs. This is important because it is a team sport that happens to have 40+ players on the list. Before any genuine success can be generated this is a vital aspect that is generally required. (Basketball can be an exception because the amount of players reqd is comparably small)

I just suspect Zaka is more the loner type of character (refer his off-season travels) / (not that there is anything wrong with that). Would anyone here believe he would sacrifice his game for the greater good of the team? I suspect he struggles with that concept..at times. He typifies in a lot of ways how Essendon has played as a team for many years. Many greatly talented individuals playing as individuals.

He is a great player and now our most experienced!! Hopefully he plays all games (barring injury) and elevates his game even higher.

My concern with him, apart from being a great player, is the level of care demonstrated from him.

To clarify, apart from this mystical defence game Rutton is trying to implement, the other aspect he is trying to instil into this team is "care".
The moment every player genuinely cares for each other, is when a team cohesion occurs. This is important because it is a team sport that happens to have 40+ players on the list. Before any genuine success can be generated this is a vital aspect that is generally required. (Basketball can be an exception because the amount of players reqd is comparably small)

I just suspect Zaka is more the loner type of character (refer his off-season travels) / (not that there is anything wrong with that). Would anyone here believe he would sacrifice his game for the greater good of the team? I suspect he struggles with that concept..at times. He typifies in a lot of ways how Essendon has played as a team for many years. Many greatly talented individuals playing as individuals.

He is a great player and now our most experienced!! Hopefully he plays all games (barring injury) and elevates his game even higher.
It could have been the Essendon 35 :think:

This surfaced as an issue last year when Zerrett was knocked out and players didn't remonstrate. I interpret 'care' as something shown, not simply something felt... for all of their ordinariness, at least McPhee and NatRat would show they cared.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It could have been the Essendon 35 :think:

This surfaced as an issue last year when Zerrett was knocked out and players didn't remonstrate. I interpret 'care' as something shown, not simply something felt... for all of their ordinariness, at least McPhee and NatRat would show they cared.

Its an issue I believe is trying to be addressed within this squad. Zaharakis, as our most experienced can help lead the way. Will he? Time will tell.

In an ideal world I'd like Zaharakis to be playing more forward-midfielder rather than pure midfielder. I think he is more damaging forward of centre but as a midfielder he does tend to drift back for easy kicks. I'd rather him try to replicate his best and fairest year rather than remaining as a volume possession winner. And with the depth we now have in the midfield, I think the team could do that without losing anything in the midfield.

In an ideal world I'd like Zaharakis to be playing more forward-midfielder rather than pure midfielder. I think he is more damaging forward of centre but as a midfielder he does tend to drift back for easy kicks. I'd rather him try to replicate his best and fairest year rather than remaining as a volume possession winner. And with the depth we now have in the midfield, I think the team could do that without losing anything in the midfield.
With midfield depth, as he ages maybe he will end up with much more time forward. His finishing should still be able to be capitalised on but defensive pressure would likely be the same or worse.

A senior player going through the motions in the pre-season - Hardly a concern.

How this guy escapes criticism is lost on me.

A senior player sets an example. A senior player is a leader. A senior player maintains standards.

This guy is selfish, a front runner and an example ought to be made of him.

Sick of this dude being in the team. Has been given a free ride because of his goal against Collingwood. Never takcles never wins the hard ball. Complete downhill skier. hate him
jesus mate- he’s always spoken very highly of you

Wouldn't be opposed to sending him to the VFL after today. Gutless performance, and to be having chuckle after that s**t was straight up insulting.

In what way was his performance gutless? Although it's not saying much he was in our top 5 today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back