Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Because odds are he is going to request another trade next year.. if he gets injured or form drops his value will plummet.... i would have taken 9 and had to bites of the cherry in the top 10
He can request next year but is still contracted. If nothing this trade period the Swans and Bombers enforced the players contract rather the rolling over.

He can request next year but is still contracted. If nothing this trade period the Swans and Bombers enforced the players contract rather the rolling over.
At some point you have to put a value on team harmony and player welfare...if he already moved to vic, its obvious he seriously wants out. Should have made the deal for 9..two top 10 selections and more elite youth

At some point you have to put a value on team harmony and player welfare...if he already moved to vic, its obvious he seriously wants out. Should have made the deal for 9..two top 10 selections and more elite youth

This is the problem with big noting guesses (or hearsay) posted here, as if, absolute fact.

He reportedly is overseas atm. Has not moved, but it would not surprise me if he bought real estate in Victoria.
But I do not know for sure!

How dumb would you be to relocate before a deal was done? Would you??????

If Essendon would not guarantee to accept picks 5 and 9, then Swans had no need to trade Tom.
I respect Tom - hopefully the club will support him in whatever his needs.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If true correct but I bet he will be disgruntled and more so if he moved out of Sydney already , with a sick family member also

This imo won’t play out well
Sorry but if he has indeed already moved out of Sydney (and there are conflicting stories on that) then that’s just dumb and totally on him. Everyone knows that almost anything is possible at this time of the year and in some cases things can happen outside of the control of individual clubs, regardless of best intentions.

Acres did still had a year , it happens if you didn't realise.
It does happen. Whether it would it have happened with Lloyd and Mills is the issue. Acres got a three year dear from Freo where Collingwood only had him on a single year and cap pressures meant they wouldn't be able to give him more. Would Essendon have given Lloyd or Mills better deals than they currently have with us?

Last edited:
Would those players have been accepted by Essendon? Would those players have agreed to forego their long contracts with us?
Not only that but if the deal fell through we would have had a very awkward situation on our hands with players that might not have wanted to go in the first place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back