Player Watch #11 It's just Tom Papley !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RobbieK

Club Legend
Aug 20, 2009
Berlin
AFL Club
Sydney
Could have easily said something like Tom's a little disappointed but understands the reality of the business and is happy to move on and focus on next year. See easy.
You realise that a banal statement like that which says nothing anyone wouldn't already be aware of is as much a deflection as not addressing it directly, yeah?

It isn't appropriate for Harley to speak for Papley. Papley is more than capable of doing that for himself if he desires.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Opts

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
Player retention has always been an issue for us and always will be. We've gotten better at identifying flight risks but until NSW produces enough talent it's just something we need to live with.

Why would a player like Papley want to stay in Sydney when he can get an offer for the same or more but he plays at home?

For me it just stung with Papley requesting a trade because from the beginning he seemed like a player who just loves the club & everything about it.
Unfortunately, the fact is, that players will nearly always want to return to home (or to family) regardless of any romantic situations that may be in place because once they become professionals those romantic attachments become irrelevant. Until 4 out of every 18 draftees, that's 23%, of all draftees available come from NSW and Qld. then the four northern clubs are going to be severely disadvantaged. It's as simple as that.

Last edited:

RobbieK

Club Legend
Aug 20, 2009
Berlin
AFL Club
Sydney
Unfortunately, the fact is, that players will nearly always want to return to home (or to family) regardless of any romantic situations that may be in place because once they become professionals those romantic attachments become irrelevant. Until 4 out of every 18 draftees, that's 0.23%, of all draftees available come from NSW and Qld. then the four northern clubs are going to be severely disadvantaged. It's as simple as that.
4 out of 18 is 22.2%, not 0.23%.

Otherwise, I agree.

Mick Oxlong

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Bit about Papley in this article re Silvagni. I personally think we can put the mental health, family member illness rumors to bed. He was targeted and it’s all about the $$$.

DST

Club Legend
May 1, 2003
In enemy territory
AFL Club
Sydney
Bit about Papley in this article re Silvagni. I personally think we can put the mental health, family member illness rumors to bed. He was targeted and it’s all about the $$$.

Don't agree, that was the reason why he was targeted by Carlton. Nothing to do with $.

He is best mates with Newman, who was in a position to tell Carlton early in the year of the family illness and his desire to get back to Melbourne due to his long term relationship with his partner (who happens to be very good friends with Newmans partner).

If Newman was not at Carlton, they would never had known of his desire to return or put an offer to him.

Mick Oxlong

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Don't agree, that was the reason why he was targeted by Carlton. Nothing to do with $.

He is best mates with Newman, who was in a position to tell Carlton early in the year of the family illness and his desire to get back to Melbourne due to his long term relationship with his partner (who happens to be very good friends with Newmans partner).

If Newman was not at Carlton, they would never had known of his desire to return or put an offer to him.
What a load of crap!

Jewelsbon

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

Soooooo Newman went to the powers that be at Carlton early this season and told them that Papley was keen to return to Melbourne?
Aaaand Newman decided this six months odd after Papley signed a long term contract to stay in Sydney?

Sorry in my eyes that just doesn't make sense.

ScrewInStuds

Club Legend
Mar 24, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
If you're desperate to get to a city that contains 10 AFL teams, you don't nominate a single club, plain and simple. Wanted more dollars, wanted a happy Mrs, wanted to play with his mates, wanted away from Horse and will now have to put on the big boy pants and earn his pay cheque like a professional. Welcome to adult life, which is sometimes just a long series of compromises that we don't want to make.

I don't like him wanting out of a long term contract, but if he continues to play well for our club in the meantime I'll at least respect him.

Big Blood

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sturt
The only thing we know for sure is he signed a contract and then announced he wanted to leave.

I hope his family gives him a big serve when he turns up at Christmas and I don't mean turkey.

Top Bottom