Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh well. Whatever. Gone off him now. Whatever the reasons were its just a really bad look to try to get out of a 4-5 year contract.

Perhaps if contracts were made public then players could stop using family issues as cover for another club offering more money.

Oh well. Whatever. Gone off him now. Whatever the reasons were its just a really bad look to try to get out of a 4-5 year contract.

Perhaps if contracts were made public then players could stop using family issues as cover for another club offering more money.

At the end of the day though, playing football is their job. If they can earn a million more elsewhere, they would be negligent to not try and get there. The football landscape is not what it was 20 years ago where they played for love and what not. This is their living.

I ask you, if an opposition company offered you twice what you are being paid would you leave tomorrow? Bet you the answer is yes.

IT IS A FAMILY ISSUE !

Wether it was for money or some other reason they are his issues & it is his career, his life & his decision. Not tge clubs. Not yours ir mine... He decides what is best for him. His family. His career. It is his life. He is not beholden to the club to the extent he doesn't actually break the terms of his contract (which he has not). He has honored the contract & continues to do so.

IMO he approached a situation that none of us seem to have any clue about with respect for the club & fact he had signed a contract. His agent didn't seem to push it in the media or any of the other s**t you often hear... I think he asked. Nothing offered suited the club & everyone just moved on with things. Simple.

I personally (& with good reason) don't believe it was money but I can't prove that. Just like posters peddling the "money" aspect can't prove that is the case either.

The only facts I care about are he is ok to play footy & as a Sydney Swan I'm 110% behind him & hope he has a brilliant season.

It will be awkward next year because we likely arent finalists and its looking like he's only here for another year so anything he does will feel empty

It will be awkward next year because we likely arent finalists and its looking like he's only here for another year so anything he does will feel empty

people will basically forget about it like ROK trade request imo unless he is all sullen and withdrawn
media might try to beat it up
ive fluctuated on papley in all honesty

i suspect we will see more and more of these requests and player movements over time

At the end of the day though, playing football is their job. If they can earn a million more elsewhere, they would be negligent to not try and get there. The football landscape is not what it was 20 years ago where they played for love and what not. This is their living.

I ask you, if an opposition company offered you twice what you are being paid would you leave tomorrow? Bet you the answer is yes.

Yeah I would. But that doesn't mean I have to be happy with his decision to request a trade.

IT IS A FAMILY ISSUE !

Ok that's fine. But why nominate one club out of ten? Basically trying to bend our club over by saying send me here for whatever inadequate offer they make you, I don't care if you get screwed over. I'm not going anywhere else.

Honestly that's the part that has pissed me of the most.

So when he kicks a goal some of you won't cheer WTFDWFTC

Yeah, but as mentioned below it will be hollow. I'll cheer because it might help us win a game, but i won't be stoked that paps is doing it for the team. He's playing at a club he clearly doesn't want to be a part of. It won't be the same.

100% this

people will basically forget about it like ROK trade request imo unless he is all sullen and withdrawn
media might try to beat it up
ive fluctuated on papley in all honesty

i suspect we will see more and more of these requests and player movements over time

At the end of the day I think it looks bad and as a paying member of the club in entitled to my opinion. Now one else has to agree with it. But that's my opinion and I'm going to stick with it. He doesn't want to be at the club, i don't want to support him. If he turns around and says I'm 100% committed to the club for the remainder of my contract them perhaps my option will change, but he's done nothing to show he is committed beyond this season.

Yeah I would. But that doesn't mean I have to be happy with his decision to request a trade.

Ok that's fine. But why nominate one club out of ten? Basically trying to bend our club over by saying send me here for whatever inadequate offer they make you, I don't care if you get screwed over. I'm not going anywhere else.

Honestly that's the part that has pissed me of the most.

Yeah, but as mentioned below it will be hollow. I'll cheer because it might help us win a game, but i won't be stoked that paps is doing it for the team. He's playing at a club he clearly doesn't want to be a part of. It won't be the same.

100% this

At the end of the day I think it looks bad and as a paying member of the club in entitled to my opinion. Now one else has to agree with it. But that's my opinion and I'm going to stick with it. He doesn't want to be at the club, i don't want to support him. If he turns around and says I'm 100% committed to the club for the remainder of my contract them perhaps my option will change, but he's done nothing to show he is committed beyond this season.

absolutely have an opinion and totally get where you are coming from

he has some work to do

You can’t barrack for Buddy and slag off Papley.

If you do, you need to reassess your values.

When did buddy request a trade while contracted though

I’m not saying slag off papley mind you

He didn’t.
I don’t think that’s really the point though really. Is it?

Seems to be the problem people have, he was committed long term and tried to get out of it
Not comparable imo
oh well it’s done now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems to be the problem people have, he was committed long term and tried to get out of it
Not comparable imo
oh well it’s done now
As if, seriously, Papley’s critics have their criticism predicated on the existence of a contract.

Contracts are leverage. Nothing more. Nothing less.

The target for criticism should be Carlton. For trying to use a family situation to lowball the Swans on one of our best players. Especially after the Gibbs issue.

campaigners.

You can’t barrack for Buddy and slag off Papley.

If you do, you need to reassess your values.
Buddy honored his contract top the end. Would I be disappointed if papley requested a trade at the end of his 5 year contract? Yes.

Would I be as pissed about it as I am that he wants out with 4 years to go? No

The contract situation is exactly the problem.

As if, seriously, Papley’s critics have their criticism predicated on the existence of a contract.

Contracts are leverage. Nothing more. Nothing less.

The target for criticism should be Carlton. For trying to use a family situation to lowball the Swans on one of our best players. Especially after the Gibbs issue.

campaigners.

carlton campaigners i can get on board with that

Buddy honored his contract top the end. Would I be disappointed if papley requested a trade at the end of his 5 year contract? Yes.

Would I be as pissed about it as I am that he wants out with 4 years to go? No

The contract situation is exactly the problem.
Contracted players get traded out of clubs every year.

Do you think contracts should only apply to players?

Now my understanding, independent of this board (I know many around Gippsland), is that Papley had a legitimate reason to seek a trade.
Carlton lowballed us, and the contract gave us the leverage to say “No”.

But if you’re dirty on Papley for seeking to be traded out of a contract I hope you’re just as dirty on the club every time they trade out a contracted player.

Contracted players get traded out of clubs every year.

Do you think contracts should only apply to players?

Now my understanding, independent of this board (I know many around Gippsland), is that Papley had a legitimate reason to seek a trade.
Carlton lowballed us, and the contract gave us the leverage to say “No”.

But if you’re dirty on Papley for seeking to be traded out of a contract I hope you’re just as dirty on the club every time they trade out a contracted player.
There's been many times I've been pissed at losing players. Can't recall any that had 4 years remaining on their contract though

There's been many times I've been pissed at losing players. Can't recall any that had 4 years remaining on their contract though

My thoughts are similar. By all means seek a trade but don’t sign a 5 year deal and want to pack up a few months later

So now it’s down to the number of years.

Would you have been ok if we had got 2 first round picks?

He was happy at the club, so he signed a long term contract.

s**t went down at home, suddenly he was unhappy at being absent from home.

So he asked to be traded. It didn’t get done. As best as I can tell, he’s knuckling down.

How about we just support him?

So now it’s down to the number of years.

Would you have been ok if we had got 2 first round picks?

He was happy at the club, so he signed a long term contract.

s**t went down at home, suddenly he was unhappy at being absent from home.

So he asked to be traded. It didn’t get done. As best as I can tell, he’s knuckling down.

How about we just support him?
You feel free to see it how you like and support him all you like. Doesn't mean I have to

if a club tried to trade a player 1 year into a 5 year contract, players association would whinge their **** off i reckon

but hes here now, probably been a few players look at trades we havent heard about

You feel free to see it how you like and support him all you like. Doesn't mean I have to
No you don’t. But understand that every time you try to question his loyalty on this anonymous forum, I will be here to rebut you.

Im done with standing by and ignoring ignorant judgements being made by anonymous spectators which only today we’ve been learning do an enormous amount of damage.

Totally different scenarios, buddy achieved greatness at hawthorn and basically left with their blessing.. Papley still owes Sydney for drafting him, hasn't achieved much yet and is contracted.

yep and buddy didnt have a contract, was a free agent and the hawks decided not to match

its not even close to being the same

Remove this Banner Ad

Back