Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
yep and buddy didnt have a contract, was a free agent and the hawks decided not to match

its not even close to being the same
They decided not to match because we made an insanely ridiculous offer, which was only made because it was the only thing that we could offer that we knew Hawthorn wouldn't match!
Totally different scenarios, buddy achieved greatness at hawthorn and basically left with their blessing.. Papley still owes Sydney for drafting him, hasn't achieved much yet and is contracted.
Not sure how much blessing the Hawks gave Buddy. Haha. As if any club would be OK with a player of a generation walking out the door!

They decided not to match because we made an insanely ridiculous offer, which was only made because it was the only thing that we could offer that we knew Hawthorn wouldn't match!
well they would have had to match the COLA :p

Still he wasnt contracted like papley

You feel free to see it how you like and support him all you like. Doesn't mean I have to
You see this guy gets how this whole think for yourself thing work.

Well done.

only pre sesson but all signs point to him getting even better despite a difficult off season
looks ready to go

presume taped sholdour is minor
Will be talked up as the best small forward in the league all year but when he requests a trade at the end of the season a top 10 pick will be way too much and Sydney will be painted as the villains again.

Will be talked up as the best small forward in the league all year but when he requests a trade at the end of the season a top 10 pick will be way too much and Sydney will be painted as the villains again.

There were 2 brand new truths invented by the media especially for last years trade period.

1. You don't trade top 10 picks for small forwards. I have never ever heard anyone say this until last year and suddenly ... every single person in the media was saying it.

2. If a player asks to be traded to a non victorian club, that club is obligated to make a trade regardless of what the other club demands in return. Again, this only applies to non victorian clubs. If a player like Papley asks to be traded to a victorian club, then anything more than 50 cents in the dollar is overs and irresponsible.

The second he has a form slump though it will be the clubs fault for him being unhappy
Papley doesnt know how to have a form slump. he is an absolute gun. Changes the course of a game through his brilliance and determination. I hope we dont lose him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We kept ROK after he requested a trade.

Nothing is ever written in stone.

We have the poorest facilities in the AFL Bonz & I feel this is not helping us retain players so any indecision tends to go the other way when it comes to interstate clubs & though he is contracted long term, should Paps ask for a trade again, we'll get it done for him.
We are just that 'nice' a club.:rolleyes:

We have the poorest facilities in the AFL Bonz & I feel this is not helping us retain players so any indecision tends to go the other way when it comes to interstate clubs & though he is contracted long term, should Paps ask for a trade again, we'll get it done for him.

If it's only our facilities that are an issue then I am relieved. Especially as we are currently building new ones.

Good as gone.

With respect ... so what!

Even if any of that is true, and I don't agree with any of it, why would we push out a contracted player for unders?

All we have done since we got Franklin is trade players out for significantly less than they are worth, and trade nothing back in.

If Papley asks for a trade again next year, that's fine. The asking price is going up every time he plays.

Last edited:

So you concede the club makes stupid decisions being "nice" but previously you said they know best and get it right

So you concede the club makes stupid decisions being "nice" but previously you said they know best and get it right
The club does know best compared to us on the outside but quite obviously & understandably they will get things wrong from time to time.
You know I think they've made a long time blue with the Buddy signing.
Sounded great at the time but looking rather foolish now should he not play most of the last 4 years of his contract, while paying him around $5M for those years.
Buddy 9 year contract at $10M = stupid decision by Swans long term.
How is it that you want to portray me to be ALWAYS backing the club?
I also criticised the club for picking an unfit 18 year old Mills over a ready to go Marsh for the GF against the Dogs.

Im thinking Paps is back in Melbourne.. living with his Misses.
Q. After spending 2 months living in very close quarters with his girlfriend,, In the 2020 trade period, Will Paps want to return to Melbourne to live with his Lovely Lady or will he realise how good spending time apart is and want to stay in Sydney?

Q. After spending 2 months living in very close quarters with his girlfriend,, In the 2020 trade period, Will Paps want to return to Melbourne to live with his Lovely Lady or will he realise how good spending time apart is and want to stay in Sydney?
He's fine and it's not about the girlfriend , are you related to Damien Barrett !

He will be gone at first chance is my gut feel

Remove this Banner Ad

Back