Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:

There was nothing serious about the question.. just joking around.
and please don't ever compare me to Barret!!!

i agreed , its a topic for discussion , nothing else to do:)

It's not as he's staying at Sydney . It will just allow the Richard Craniums to talk s**t.

what else can we do?

he wont be going imo, but he did ask for a trade so its not the silliest topic

why dont you share some swans stories with us to pass the time

It's remarkable to see how this guy has improved since he first got to the club as a rookie draft selection. But I always thought it was telling that Bud saw it in him during his first preseason. Saw he was a player and wanted him on his scratch match side.

He's the best small forward in the league right now and leading the Coleman. He's leading the forward line without doubt and he plays with a presence you'd expect of your big, strapping key forward rather than a forward pocket who's less than 6 feet tall.

I desperately hope he stays for his career, he's the kind of player whose energy is too valuable to lose, to say nothing of his talent and output. But any club who comes knocking for him would have to pay a king's ransom to get him now. Carlton didn't see the half of it last year.

He has a long term deal the swans need to make him play to it
Won't happen. We will trade him for less than his fair value to get him home because we are too nice and we don't hold players to ransom that don't want to be here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why didn't we do that last year?

See below

We need him to stay or we're completley stuffed.

Because we'd have no one to kick goals if we let him go. Remember we were willing to let him go if we got daniher. The club bends over when it comes to instances like these. They just know how ****ed we'd be if we let him go without getting someone to replace him. Even if it was a half cooked daniher.

Because we'd have no one to kick goals if we let him go. Remember we were willing to let him go if we got daniher. The club bends over when it comes to instances like these. They just know how f’ed we'd be if we let him go without getting someone to replace him. Even if it was a half cooked daniher.
That's what I was insinuating.

We ain't letting him go for less than he's worth because we need him.

If we were going to screw ourselves, it was going to be last year.

It's remarkable to see how this guy has improved since he first got to the club as a rookie draft selection. But I always thought it was telling that Bud saw it in him during his first preseason. Saw he was a player and wanted him on his scratch match side.

He's the best small forward in the league right now and leading the Coleman. He's leading the forward line without doubt and he plays with a presence you'd expect of your big, strapping key forward rather than a forward pocket who's less than 6 feet tall.

I desperately hope he stays for his career, he's the kind of player whose energy is too valuable to lose, to say nothing of his talent and output. But any club who comes knocking for him would have to pay a king's ransom to get him now. Carlton didn't see the half of it last year.
two top ten picks isminimum

two top ten picks isminimum
he is not just a small forward. he is a masterclass. he changes the course of games. he kicks bags regularly. he makes others look good. he can go to the centre square and do great things. he is a mid/fwd with that innate goal sense. no way do i want him traded. unless its more than two top ten pics. Kelly traded to West Coast has less impact on games than Paps

Great get this kid, has the work ethic of a young Kirk albeit a different player. If he's a 10th of Max Papley he will play seniors. As an old boy I just remember Max playing for South, if it wasn't for cricket he would have played over 200 and maybe won a Brownlow, he was that good. But i'm biased as I played under Max for 3 years.

What a great call. Credit to you sir.

We have a guy we picked up in the last rookie draft that has some attributes similar to Papley. If he can be half as good.....

who's that mate?

Sorry. it would have helped to have dropped the name. It's Josh Honey.

I didn't expect to see what I did from him through the pre-season.
Has a powerful burst, is capable in the air and can kick a goal.
Not saying he has all of Papleys traits and yet to see genuine smarts, but he just reminds me of him...a little.

Sorry. it would have helped to have dropped the name. It's Josh Honey.

I didn't expect to see what I did from him through the pre-season.
Has a powerful burst, is capable in the air and can kick a goal.
Not saying he has all of Papleys traits and yet to see genuine smarts, but he just reminds me of him...a little.
Will keep an eye out for him

Sucks that we have this genuinely great player who is on track for an All Australian berth after being picked up as a rookie plumber, and it's kind of got lost in the fact that so many around him are struggling and it feels like he is one of only two avenues to goal for us. Potentially gonna be another rough year for us so we really should make more of an effort to go ham on the appreciation for the positives this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back