Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Great get this kid, has the work ethic of a young Kirk albeit a different player. If he's a 10th of Max Papley he will play seniors. As an old boy I just remember Max playing for South, if it wasn't for cricket he would have played over 200 and maybe won a Brownlow, he was that good. But i'm biased as I played under Max for 3 years.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Great get this kid, has the work ethic of a young Kirk albeit a different player. If he's a 10th of Max Papley he will play seniors. As an old boy I just remember Max playing for South, if it wasn't for cricket he would have played over 200 and maybe won a Brownlow, he was that good. But i'm biased as I played under Max for 3 years.

You aren't the illegitimate father of Tom are you?

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Not at all , his other Grandfather played for South as well , great bloodlines. Thank you for your concern. By the way have we found a tall defender yet

Just making sure, not that there is anything wrong with that. It would be cool to have a son play for the Swans.

Of course for any child of mine to be able to play for the Swans the mother would have to be Lauren Jackson or Cathy Freeman and the kid might still not be athletic enough :p

Fantastic selection. Great bloodlines indeed Bedders.

A perfect "fairytale" type back-story with his family history. His connection to the club is undeniable and something I hope means he'll loyally commit himself to the club 110% and show the kind of determination that guys like Kirk have shown in the past and (in doing so) succeed above expectation.

I've read some great things about Max which I hope Tom can emulate too (minus the cricket career!). Looking forward to seeing what kind of player he becomes for us and how he develops the next few years. It's going to be important for him to cement a role early and put his hand up for selection each week. Hopefully he can make a great player of himself.

Good luck young fella. We're all behind you mate.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
General Santos City, Mindanao
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Just need to remember its a tough gig, might be up and down week to week
This is actually the reason I'm happy with Papley. If he doesn't kick a goal for 3 weeks but averages 5 tackles and a bunch of pressure acts in those games, I will be quite satisfied. Those are the numbers Rioli puts up and its why he's the benchmark - Papley had 5 tackles on the weekend and the early signs are that he will at least put in consistent pressure.

Troystenvic

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
This is actually the reason I'm happy with Papley. If he doesn't kick a goal for 3 weeks but averages 5 tackles and a bunch of pressure acts in those games, I will be quite satisfied. Those are the numbers Rioli puts up and its why he's the benchmark - Papley had 5 tackles on the weekend and the early signs are that he will at least put in consistent pressure.
Papley will be better than Cyril by the end of 2017

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
My old man would be smiling in his grave after last night. He always used to go on about how good Max Papley was. I think its brilliant that we have a player in the team with a real South Melbourne connection.

The issue with Cyril is that he's ridiculously over rated & massively over hyped, particularly during a game by the commentary. It deflects from his actual talent & leads critics like me to suggest maybe he isn't as good as perhaps he is (certainly as good as he is made out to be). In actual fact it's probably somewhere in between.

I suspect Pappers will get the opposite & be under rated, ala Smitty, which I'm more than happy with.

Back