Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
His accuracy when he gets a chance is remarkable. Probably misses more set shots.

Most young players getting free from 40 like that Adel goal would spray it.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

big_bazza

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2005
Tas
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
sydney swans
Its nice to see my current favorite swans now wearing the same number as one of my former favorite swans number, lets just hope he can match Laidler's output. Naaa jokes, obviously talking about the great father of the bloods culture Stuey Maxfield.

Its nice to see my current favorite swans now wearing the same number as one of my former favorite swans number, lets just hope he can match Laidler's output. Naaa jokes, obviously talking about the great father of the bloods culture Stuey Maxfield.
Max Papley, Peter Bedford, Stuey Maxfield, ...
171205_papley_h.png

A few club champions (many times over) Brownlow medallist, ..... and a future premiership player :)

Careful making fun of Laids... swansfan51 might ban you! :p

Papley is on track to kick around 17-19 goals this year (his previous tallies are 29 and 30). Meanwhile he's averaging 13.8 disposals this year, down on last year's 15.6. So playing him with an increased midfield role is not only lessening his ability to impact the scoreboard, but also doing nothing to increase his impact on the game in other ways.

The jig is up Horse. He should be a permanent small forward.

This is one of the most confusing decisions being made right now. When we don't have Franklin in the side, why on earth would we take one of our only players with real forward nous and play him primarily in the midfield.

He’s also never really shown that much in the middle either.

Most coaches would look and say ok I have papley who could kick me 40 a year easy, ive got Hayward who could do similar. Can use Rohan’s forward pressure and Heeney can’t kick for goal at the moment and looks classy in the middle

So how about heeney in the guts and the other 3 forward

Instead we got Rohan back, papley in the centre, Hayward on a wing and heeney forward

He’s also never really shown that much in the middle either.

Most coaches would look and say ok I have papley who could kick me 40 a year easy, ive got Hayward who could do similar. Can use Rohan’s forward pressure and Heeney can’t kick for goal at the moment and looks classy in the middle

So how about heeney in the guts and the other 3 forward

Instead we got Rohan back, papley in the centre, Hayward on a wing and heeney forward
Very true and just plain stupid when you break it

No idea why they are ******* around

Like playing Aliir forward

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
We are struggling for players who can break away from the contest. Papley is one that has shown he can do that. Jones is probably another. That’s no doubt why he has been tried amongst our fairly one dimensional midfield group.

At this stage we have few others and almost nobody that is ready for AFL footy.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
We are struggling for players who can break away from the contest. Papley is one that has shown he can do that. Jones is probably another. That’s no doubt why he has been tried amongst our fairly one dimensional midfield group.

At this stage we have few others and almost nobody that is ready for AFL footy.

Not saying it hasn't happened, but nothing stands out to me when I try and think of a time Papley has broken away from a midfield stoppage.

He should be crumbing forward where he's shown exceptional nous and timing.

It seems like I'm in the minority here but I thought he played mostly forward last night. Only started 1 center bounce in the middle (out of 22). Prior to that though, I agree he has been playing quite a lot of midfield.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
It seems like I'm in the minority here but I thought he played mostly forward last night. Only started 1 center bounce in the middle (out of 22). Prior to that though, I agree he has been playing quite a lot of midfield.

I just barely saw him last night. Whenever I did see him it seemed he wasn't forward.

Back