Player Watch #11: Jason Castagna - signed to 2023

Should Castagna be dropped for the Port game after his 2 disposal effort vs the Swans?

• Yes - for Cumberland

• Yes - for anyone

• No

• Make him Sub

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting that he played up on the wing a bit in the last few weeks, and his best work was that ability to break the lines up the ground (his work around goals was certainly not his best). Before the season I suggested he could be a good tagger due not only his speed and tackling, but his rebounding ability once he got the ball. Given we don't have a tagger and occasionally we could do with one, I still think that could be a secondary role he could play. His speed, change of direction and hardness might be an unusual weapon.... just kick it long, nothing too tricky.

Interesting that he played up on the wing a bit in the last few weeks, and his best work was that ability to break the lines up the ground (his work around goals was certainly not his best). Before the season I suggested he could be a good tagger due not only his speed and tackling, but his rebounding ability once he got the ball. Given we don't have a tagger and occasionally we could do with one, I still think that could be a secondary role he could play. His speed, change of direction and hardness might be an unusual weapon.... just kick it long, nothing too tricky.

He's very evasive in traffic. Bit like a Zorko type. Looks to be too small for the midfield but quick, powerful and evasive so gets out of traffic. Obviously he's several levels below Zorko but he could do some damage in the midfield I reckon. He's looked great in the last few rounds of the season when he's gone up the ground a bit.

Confident George could play any line but Shorts a half back. Have seen him hit the 50 and pump them through when required though.
I reckon he could adapt. I really, really rate short. Could be a disaster, so best kept to non competitive testing, but I'd be interested to see it. I'd have faith in it working.

I reckon he could adapt. I really, really rate short. Could be a disaster, so best kept to non competitive testing, but I'd be interested to see it. I'd have faith in it working.
Yeah no way Shorts a pressure forward, but can find the ball and has a nice leg on him. Could work if the game changes to a point where that forward style is required.

teh one and only

nbShJBz.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

his marking was a key part of winning the 2017 flag

or at least being able to break even in contests where he was the underdog seemingly
agree and is understated at times as he usually better known for forward pressure and shots on goal (notice I didn't say actual goals :D).
Reminds me of a Staffy. Chaotic at ground level but a surprising leap for size.

Livewire forward Jason Castagna has become just the second-ever Richmond player to wear different guernsey numbers in Tiger premiership teams.

Castagna wore No. 46 as a member of Richmond’s drought-breaking, 2017 premiership side, but was in No. 11 when the Tigers trounced Greater Western Sydney in the 2019 Grand Final.

He changed his number following the 2017 flag triumph, along with close premiership teammate Dan Butler, who went from No. 40 to No. 7.

The only other player to sport a new number after tasting premiership success at Tigerland was ever-reliable defender Merv Keane, who had No. 18 on his back when Richmond crushed Collingwood in the 1980 Grand Final, having previously worn No. 40 as a member of the Tigers’ back-to-back flag sides of 1973-74.

Back