Player Watch #11: Jason Castagna - signed to 2023

Should Castagna be dropped for the Port game after his 2 disposal effort vs the Swans?

• Yes - for Cumberland

• Yes - for anyone

• No

• Make him Sub

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of agreement here, even between people who want him in the team and those that want him gone. We know what we get with George.

Can we rebuild his confidence? 2017-2019 era Castagna was a useful part of the team. What's missing is his self belief and joy for the game.

I remember when Robbie Nahas fell apart in 2013. His last ever kick for Richmond was a horrible miskick into the centre of the ground (missing a target 20m away by about 20m) that led to a Brisbane goal. The poor kid was already broken at that stage but that was the final humiliation. Richmond fans booed him and I was embarrassed. He got a fresh start at North Melbourne, but after a good start and a new contract the same thing happened and he left the game.

2023 is his last chance. I hope he has a great summer and finds that spark again.

Go Tigers.

Have any of the massive George fans been to any games to watch George play in the 2s yet?

The question seems to be being avoided. I wonder why.

The only response I've had is that I'm "making someone angry" which is kind of pathetic (meh) for a simple question but more importantly, very telling that the answer is no.

Anyone? No?

Have any of the massive George fans been to any games to watch George play in the 2s yet?

The only response I've had is that I'm "making someone angry" which is kind of pathetic (meh) for a simple question but more importantly, very telling that the answer is no.

Anyone? No?
GettyImages-1229267298.jpg

You should go watch him every week.

Ask him for the rent you are owed
Looks like Jason has been guarding so much space in your head :D

he's a good mark.
he's hard at it.
he never stops running.
never stops trying.
dubious kick.
brings the chaos.
no confidence in front of goal.
great tackler.
helped us win 3 flags.
i love the campaigner.
Probably one of the better descriptions I’ve seen in a while
Got to take the good with the bad
Always going to be around thay 22 - 25 player but that’s fine

Anyone? No?

If I’ve gone every week what’s that got to do with anything ?

With the greatest respect, Ghost.
What's your point?
A challenge for you ... compile a list of his last two season highlights.
And then let's be honest, you likely can't and then you'll work out what this whole debate/discussion is about.
He is no longer up to scratch.
As stated before, full credit to him on being a three-time premiership player. Would we have won three without him ... YES. But he has three.
But for a limited role player, he is nowhere even near 2017 level or 2018, which was probably his high point and has declined ever since.
A highlights package from eight years or nine years ago is irrelevant and does not sway me one bit.
Current form does.
And Castagna has been awful for a good two years.
Could you possibly devise a highlights package on Castragna on what he has served up for two years? No.
It would be a fair dinkum bloopers reel.
We get it WR, George is no longer playing at anywhere near premiership-winning level. And based on the poll above, 88% of us Tiger ferals on this board have voted him out of the starting 22.

But it's the relentless and tedious berating and demeaning of the bloke that warrants challenging. I'm not going into it again - I've posted what I thought pretty clearly several pages back.

As for that footage - for the most part I can really see how his playing style attracted the eyes of our recruiters. He just got the footy and went with it, busting out of corrals, breaking lines and even taking intercept marks. I'm pretty sure based on that footage that our recruiters would've backed the various coaches to sort out his erratic disposal (they were incapable, as it's turned out). But if I saw a 17 year old exhibiting that breakaway pace and dare, I'd be writing his name down too. I didn't so much condemn him for those turnovers in the clips as I was impressed with the youngster for that frantic speed and daring playing style.

Just one more thing on the constant bagging of one of our own players (and triple premiership blah, blah, blah). It implicates all of us Richmond supporters, that sort of stuff. And I won't be complicit in anything that could be deemed "eating your own". Over the years I've been to many Essendon games with Bomber mates where I've watched their own supporters harass and boo the likes of Kevin Walsh, Justin Madden, Paul Salmon, Aaron Henneman, Mark Bolton, Courtney Deans, Brent Stanton and recently Dylan Shiel while they all wore the red and black. All relentlessly bullied and, in some cases, hounded out of the club by so-called Essendon members. Nobody does this "eat your own" stuff like the Bombers supporters, and I never want to be comparable to them.

And if it means I err on the side of seeing the positives a little more at the expense of the negatives, then so be it. I'm a Tiger supporter.

Last edited:
A lot of agreement here, even between people who want him in the team and those that want him gone. We know what we get with George.

Can we rebuild his confidence? 2017-2019 era Castagna was a useful part of the team. What's missing is his self belief and joy for the game.

I remember when Robbie Nahas fell apart in 2013. His last ever kick for Richmond was a horrible miskick into the centre of the ground (missing a target 20m away by about 20m) that led to a Brisbane goal. The poor kid was already broken at that stage but that was the final humiliation. Richmond fans booed him and I was embarrassed. He got a fresh start at North Melbourne, but after a good start and a new contract the same thing happened and he left the game.

2023 is his last chance. I hope he has a great summer and finds that spark again.

Go Tigers.

I’m not convinced that he’s dropped off that much. The game has changed and his role has changed but to me he’s seems to be same… first one there and after that who knows what’s going happen .. Has ever it been anything different?

I'm old. And older school. ..
games used to be won and lost on scoreboards. Castagna might be elite for marks and guarding space. What's the opposite of elite to describe his goal kicking?
Castagna's selection is a debate b/n Champion data and watching him tragically unable to kick a football through a couple of posts. Scoreboard at the ground tell me if we if we have won a game or not.
Noah C can kick goals and MRJ is the embodiement of pressure.

2 for the price of 1. Has me a bit worried but in Dimma we trust and as I said before the forward line hadn’t been a worry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not convinced that he’s dropped off that much. The game has changed and his role has changed but to me he’s seems to be same… first one there and after that who knows what’s going happen .. Has ever it been anything different?
You are correct, his role in our side has changed. 2017-18 he was an inside target like Caddy. Both able to mark the ball and cause some damage in the forward line. Lynch has been the target now, MRJ is doing the hard harassing, Cumberland is hard at it, reasonable in the air like George but kicks goal and Edwards spends more time forward these days. There is no room for him deep so he is up the ground.

His skill set is not suited to up the ground delivering to forwards, he knows that hence his confidence has dropped. You can see it in his body language. No player with 3 premierships on the mantle piece wants to be playing ressies, but like Caddy that is just part of being in a developing team, the bottom players drop out. It is no big deal just life of a footballer.

When he goes/retires or pulls a genie out of a hat and reinvents himself, he will be a life member of a great team for the club, so any assassination is ugly. Not his fault he is selected, and when he is in he tries as much as anyone else, but he is playing like he knows he is treading water. As I said, that is football.

With the greatest respect, Ghost.
What's your point?
A challenge for you ... compile a list of his last two season highlights.
And then let's be honest, you likely can't and then you'll work out what this whole debate/discussion is about.
He is no longer up to scratch.
As stated before, full credit to him on being a three-time premiership player. Would we have won three without him ... YES. But he has three.
But for a limited role player, he is nowhere even near 2017 level or 2018, which was probably his high point and has declined ever since.
A highlights package from eight years or nine years ago is irrelevant and does not sway me one bit.
Current form does.
And Castagna has been awful for a good two years.
Could you possibly devise a highlights package on Castragna on what he has served up for two years? No.
It would be a fair dinkum bloopers reel.

You rekon someone would be able to get a highlight package out of 150 marks and 29 goals ? and 74 tackles . May not pass your simple eye test but still enough to fill a reel of high light reels . See what I did there .

You are correct, his role in our side has changed. 2017-18 he was an inside target like Caddy. Both able to mark the ball and cause some damage in the forward line. Lynch has been the target now, MRJ is doing the hard harassing, Cumberland is hard at it, reasonable in the air like George but kicks goal and Edwards spends more time forward these days. There is no room for him deep so he is up the ground.

His skill set is not suited to up the ground delivering to forwards, he knows that hence his confidence has dropped. You can see it in his body language. No player with 3 premierships on the mantle piece wants to be playing ressies, but like Caddy that is just part of being in a developing team, the bottom players drop out. It is no big deal just life of a footballer.

When he goes/retires or pulls a genie out of a hat and reinvents himself, he will be a life member of a great team for the club, so any assassination is ugly. Not his fault he is selected, and when he is he tries as much as anyone else, but he is playing like he knows he is treading water. As I said, that is football.

Well done . Could agree with you more .

You rekon someone would be able to get a highlight package out of 150 marks and 29 goals ? and 74 tackles . May not pass your simple eye test but still enough to fill a reel of high light reels . See what I did there .
Last two years????
Bloopers reel.
Fifteen minutes tops of fumbles, bumbles, shanks, lookaway kicks that land wide of all four goal posts, momentum kills and who could forget his three turnovers that the Eagles took coast to coast for goals,
or that amazing cluster**** of a smother against the Gold Coast that sunk us.
Read the room .... we are discussing CURRENT and RECENT form, his CURRENT value to the team and worth, we are not interested in digging up a once 'glorious' past that he is a million miles away.
As much relevance as turning Jason Johannisen into an all-time great based on his 2016 season and grand final game.
Delusional Tiger.
His last two years especially have been a trainwreck.

Maybe give him one more game this week in the dead rubber and retire him gracefully , otherwise he will be remembered as an embarrassment.
lol
3 time premiership player going to be remembered as an embarrassment?
how did your AFL footy pan out?

Last two years????
Bloopers reel.
Fifteen minutes tops of fumbles, bumbles, shanks, lookaway kicks that land wide of all four goal posts, momentum kills and who could forget his three turnovers that the Eagles took coast to coast for goals,
or that amazing cluster**** of a smother against the Gold Coast that sunk us.
Read the room .... we are discussing CURRENT and RECENT form, his CURRENT value to the team and worth, we are not interested in digging up a once 'glorious' past that he is a million miles away.
As much relevance as turning Jason Johannisen into an all-time great based on his 2016 season and grand final game.
Delusional Tiger.
His last two years especially have been a trainwreck.

You asked for a highlight package for the last 2 years. ??? If one can be put together of a few Nab League games surely 2 years of a 150 marks and 29 goals a highlight package would be very very easy. They would obviously not show any stuff ups because that is not what highlight packages are .

Love this Guy , He may bot kick too many goals but certainly occupies so much space...
View attachment 1484059
sooooo muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaceeeee

1660967312566.jpeg
Without the james webb, who could fully appreciate the 5th and 6th dimensions that George occupies
aac3781d5df5b9c0e2f0cfcf2b5f29a8

As good as your AFL footy.
If you are so insistent that no one's opinion is valid unless they played AFL footy, stop posting!!!
As you didn't play, hence under your own rules, your opinion is worthless.

that's not what i said.
i didnt say your opinion was invalid i implied it was stupid

As good as your AFL footy.
If you are so insistent that no one's opinion is valid unless they played AFL footy, stop posting!!!
As you didn't play, hence under your own rules, your opinion is worthless.

You have used the term “spud.. waste of space..mentally weak.. . This is one of your players !! I rekon if you can’t discuss Richmond players especially life members with out using inflammatory highly derogatory terms then don’t post at all .
Lay off the cabbage or whatever is making you angry . Put the premiership dvds on and reset.

Back