Player Watch #11: Jason Castagna - signed to 2023

Should Castagna be dropped for the Port game after his 2 disposal effort vs the Swans?

• Yes - for Cumberland

• Yes - for anyone

• No

• Make him Sub

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mar 9, 2007
Way over yonder across the hill
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Burnie United FC, Cheddar AFC
Agreed. Rather give Naish and RCD games
Seriously though, is there a less skillful player going around than George? But he wasn't on his own tonight when it comes to playing like complete crap.

Is a absolutely shocking shot at goal

Hi technique is OK but he just loses all confidence.

He is a contest maker though, at ground and in the air - I'm guessing it's what keeps him in the team to date.

I'd understand dropping him to Butler if Butler has a good weekend but mainly because it puts pressure back on Castagna.

Having said that, Rioli looked really sore, Menadue quite ordinary and Bolton and Higgins didn't exactly shine either. Ellis had his worst game for the season too. So the queue to leave the best 22 is pretty long this week. Off the back of that I see Castagna pretty safe for another week tbh.

Captain_Bender

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond

He is a contest maker though, at ground and in the air - I'm guessing it's what keeps him in the team to date.

I'd understand dropping him to Butler if Butler has a good weekend but mainly because it puts pressure back on Castagna.

Having said that, Rioli looked really sore, Menadue quite ordinary and Bolton and Higgins didn't exactly shine either. Ellis had his worst game for the season too. So the queue to leave the best 22 is pretty long this week. Off the back of that I see Castagna pretty safe for another week tbh.
If he could convert most of his shots on goals he would be a pretty decent small forward but right now his set shots are what really holds him back

If he could convert most of his shots on goals he would be a pretty decent small forward but right now his set shots are what really holds him back

Yep, would still have flaws, but he has to get back to being a minimum goal a game player - minimum. Has 4 from 6 games, 3 against Melbourne last week.

Rioli had none, Bolton none, Higgins none and the worst stats of all was Lynch none - that's how bad we were up fwd tonight.

Mar 9, 2007
Way over yonder across the hill
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Burnie United FC, Cheddar AFC
To prevent a disaster you start working on eliminating your simplest problems first. Bye bye George Brando and Broad.
I can't see Broad getting dropped anytime soon due to our lack of key defenders.

To prevent a disaster you start working on eliminating your simplest problems first. Bye bye George Brando and Broad.

If they are so simple to resolve, who are they replaced with and what degree of certainty do they carry at completely solving the problem of your supposition and not become problems in themselves?

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
If they are so simple to resolve, who are they replaced with and what degree of certainty do they carry at completely solving the problem of your supposition and not become problems in themselves?
I’m looking long term with Garth for Broad , CCJ or Miller or Moore for Castagna as we’re too small and RCD for Ellis.
Menadue can be replaced by anybody as he’s invisible.
We’ve beaten no one of great importance all year so plan for the future.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
Is like a headless chook who continually turns into trouble and gives to players who are in a no win position. Cant kick and despite flying for everything drops the simpliest of marks as well as being a major momentum killer and is the our only small to medium forward who cant play midfield.
We lost lloyd as a result of continuing with this dud.

Tony Stark

Club Legend
Oct 12, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Seems to have this instinctive turn into trouble, there was one instance last night where his momentum was taking him straight to goal and he's done a blind turn in the opposite direction straight into the arms of a doggie and then coughed it up. He doesn't get the ball that often so must do alot better than that.

Butler is more composed than George most of the time and I feel an in form Butler would also help us on the scoreboard. An in form George still can't find the goals.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,

His technique is deplorable, the ball is spinning on the way to his boot for set shots, watch closely

His technique is deplorable, the ball is spinning on the way to his boot for set shots, watch closely
Drives me insane watching him throw the ball around on his run up.
FFS how can a professional footballer not realise that’s a terrible thing to do when you consistently * up the ball drop?

Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Castagna has no feel for the game when he gets the ball. He has no sense of best options, evasion and space. But at least he tackles.

Butler is more of an outside reciever and has a feel for the game, but is a poor kick in general play and a bit of a show pony. Lazy.

Butler has more upside but geez id have neither in my team atm

Back