Player Watch #11: Jason Castagna - signed to 2023

Should Castagna be dropped for the Port game after his 2 disposal effort vs the Swans?

• Yes - for Cumberland

• Yes - for anyone

• No

• Make him Sub

Results are only viewable after voting.
and he is only 20, so much upside. Just turned 22.

In the official Shai Bolton thread, critics were told to lay off because Shai is young. Shai is 19. 3 years difference. Should George be protected from criticism too because he is young?

Not directed at you, just posting aloud to get some idea as to how old a player should be before supporters can pass judgement.

Anyway, George simply has the yips. Once he gets the ball straight away his mind is ticking over, worried and stress. It compounds.

wart101

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 18, 2006
Under the fridge
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Portland FC
In the official Shai Bolton thread, critics were told to lay off because Shai is young. Shai is 19. 3 years difference. Should George be protected from criticism too because he is young?

Not directed at you, just posting aloud to get some idea as to how old a player should be before supporters can pass judgement.

Anyway, George simply has the yips. Once he gets the ball straight away his mind is ticking over, worried and stress. It compounds.
Cant answer the age question because i simply dont know, but i can tell you an afl player peaks 24-28 so he still has time not that he hasnt shown enough already imo. Just needs some consistency.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Apr 30, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Dropped after one bad game against a s**t opposition and possibly miss a flag? Jayden Short come on down.

Should add, do we bring in a a new policy where the WOG is automatically dropped ?
Lets be real here his forms been ranging from average to putrid for a long time now. His skills have always been terrible never seen someone miss such basic 2 metre handballs since Andy Goodwin in the 80's. Castagna like Townsend and broad are lucky to be forever premiership players. Broad has actually improved the other 2 have dropped right off but being a Hardwick favourite he's still playing. Blokes like Bolton and especially Stengel would be getting offers with promises of senior game time from rival teams. Watching castagna stink it up and not get dropped while they're killing it in the magoos is all the incentive they need to go elsewhere. The ceiling and upside on those 2 is huge. Castagna isn't gonna all of a sudden gain great skills or finishing. He had a chance to reward Hardwicks blind faith in him and kill it against the lowly saints with endless opportunities. Instead he stunk up even more so.

Greg Tivendale

All Australian
Aug 5, 2013
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Miami Heat, QPR, Chicago Blackhawks
Lets be real here his forms been ranging from average to putrid for a long time now. His skills have always been terrible never seen someone miss such basic 2 metre handballs since Andy Goodwin in the 80's. Castagna like Townsend and broad are lucky to be forever premiership players. Broad has actually improved the other 2 have dropped right off but being a Hardwick favourite he's still playing. Blokes like Bolton and especially Stengel would be getting offers with promises of senior game time from rival teams. Watching castagna stink it up and not get dropped while they're killing it in the magoos is all the incentive they need to go elsewhere. The ceiling and upside on those 2 is huge. Castagna isn't gonna all of a sudden gain great skills or finishing. He had a chance to reward Hardwicks blind faith in him and kill it against the lowly saints with endless opportunities. Instead he stunk up even more so.

The thing with George is that he keeps getting himself into fantastic spots to hit the scoreboard. The biggest issue at present for mine is his conversion. He turns that 0.5 game into 3.2 etc and we are all aboard. He's one of those players where his best is awesome, but his worst is pretty bloody bad and there's nothing in between. His effort cannot be questioned and he still provides us with that valuable forward pressure etc. I think he needs a run in the reserves to get some confidence back then unleash him in finals.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
The thing with George is that he keeps getting himself into fantastic spots to hit the scoreboard. The biggest issue at present for mine is his conversion. He turns that 0.5 game into 3.2 etc and we are all aboard. He's one of those players where his best is awesome, but his worst is pretty bloody bad and there's nothing in between. His effort cannot be questioned and he still provides us with that valuable forward pressure etc. I think he needs a run in the reserves to get some confidence back then unleash him in finals.
Must be related to KMac...:think:

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Its not one bad game, his form has been poor since he had his knee injury
He's been goalless in the last 4 games and his tackle count is only 1 or sometimes 2 per game
He was goaless for four games in a row leading into the finals last year and Dimma defended him saying its more than just goals. Should add he had 17 involvements and 2 assists in his last 4 goalless games .
Last year he wasnt dropped because of 4 scoreless weeks and had a great finals series (only 1 goal a game though) and his Prelim was one of his best games of the year. With Butler still 3 weeks away its doubtfull George will be dropped

Last edited:

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
He was goaless for four games in a row leading into the finals last year and Dimma defended him saying its more than just goals. Should add he had 17 involvements and 2 assists in his last 4 goalless games .
Last year he wasnt dropped because of 4 scoreless weeks and had a great finals series (only 1 goal a game though) and his Prelim was one of his best games of the year. With Butler still 3 weeks away its doubtfull George will be dropped
He was still getting 4 & 6 tackles per game in those goalless efforts last year, now he's not scoring and his tackling is way down too
I'd like to know how many of his goal assists have come from shanks or not making the distance on his goal attempts too

He's 16th on average pressure acts per game on our list at the moment, which given our gameplan is built on defensive pressure in the forward line, is pretty poor. Rioli is 4th and Butler is 8th. Even Shai Bolton is above him FFS.

Last edited:

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
All the George haters are quiet tonight.

There are no George haters. He owed the team big time. He had a shocking few weeks and would agree with that statement. He played well today and kicked a couple of goals. Great to see and I'm sure everyone would be happy he kicked straight (including himself).

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
There are no George haters. He owed the team big time. He had a shocking few weeks and would agree with that statement. He played well today and kicked a couple of goals. Great to see and I'm sure everyone would be happy he kicked straight (including himself).
He had one bad week, and one good one where his kicking for goal was very bad.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
The kid is ripped, never realised till I saw a close up in yesterday’s game.
Good to see him slot his first shot and bury the yips he had the week before.

Still needs to spend extra time practicing his set shots, should ask Caddy for some tips.
Nothing wrong with his fitness build and physique. This is a major reason why he can go full bore for a 100min. No way was he getting dropped.

Ryannn

Debutant
Jul 23, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
The kid is ripped, never realised till I saw a close up in yesterday’s game.
Good to see him slot his first shot and bury the yips he had the week before.

Still needs to spend extra time practicing his set shots, should ask Caddy for some tips.

Not often you see a league footballer with roadmap veins and visible striations. Unreal conditioning.

Nothing wrong with his fitness build and physique. This is a major reason why he can go full bore for a 100min. No way was he getting dropped.

Only have to cast our minds back to last year. Our small forwards basically went on a rotation system for who would play the best each week and by the end of the rotation, said players were being criticised, next minute the play a great game.

Was always going to be his turn again.

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Lloyd playing better than George atm, GEORGE should’ve been sent to the twos to get some confidence. His speed is a big plus...but he has to use the ball well too. We could sign up usain bolt and he would do similar.

Back