Player Watch #11: Jason Castagna - signed to 2023

Should Castagna be dropped for the Port game after his 2 disposal effort vs the Swans?

• Yes - for Cumberland

• Yes - for anyone

• No

• Make him Sub

Results are only viewable after voting.

DustinsGuns

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
He plays for the same reason as McIntosh.

Chaos ball.

Those two players might not get games for bottom 4 teams but they suit our structure the way they fling themselves after the ball and try and get it toward.

Castagna is also much better overhead than Rioli, Butler, and Higgins. In a short forward line that’s vital.

qldtiger1

Senior List
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
He plays for the same reason as McIntosh.

Chaos ball.

Those two players might not get games for bottom 4 teams but they suit our structure the way they fling themselves after the ball and try and get it toward.

Castagna is also much better overhead than Rioli, Butler, and Higgins. In a short forward line that’s vital.[/QUOTE

Marking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - He gets to the right spots BUT DROPS 99%!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 23, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
This thread will get to 100 pages one day. It will be made up of two types of post:
1) Castagna is crap. He butchers so many opportunities. Worst (multi?) premiership player ever!
2) Castagna is a role player. He does what the team needs. Gets to dangerous spots and creates chaos.

Even if he has a breakout game and kicks 5 goals, those in the first camp will be on his back two weeks later. Even when he barely touches the ball and has 5 clangers, those in the second camp will defend him as a role player.

For the record, I'm in the second camp.

Cheers.

Dave P.

Laffy2Chaffey2Daffy

All Australian
Nov 14, 2012
Burundi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manangatang 3rds
Last night little Georgie showed exactly why he is in the team. Chased down Saad a couple of times. Didn't tackle him like Rioli, but got close enough to pressure the kick and create the turnover. Also kicked a goal - 24 goals from 19 games is a reasonable return from a small forward. I thought he was the luckiest player to be in the GF team last year because the prelim final was his only decent game in the last few weeks, but he has been travelling ok for the last few weeks. o_O

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
We had many players with run and chases, that’s not enough, that is backwards thinking, we keep carrying George’s poor form into the finals and we will be in some serious danger, Essendon came close to beating us, we need to wake up now! Keep in Lloyd (who can play many rolls well) and Garthwaite who is a contributor. I’d play with an extra defender instead of someone who is a one trick pony and his trick is not that great....that’s the truth.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
We had many players with run and chases, that’s not enough, that is backwards thinking, we keep carrying George’s poor form into the finals and we will be in some serious danger, Essendon came close to beating us, we need to wake up now! Keep in Lloyd (who can play many rolls well) and Garthwaite who is a contributor. I’d play with an extra defender instead of someone who is a one trick pony and his trick is not that great....that’s the truth.
We're fortunate you dont have any input with match committee then.

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
I’m not sure to be honest, I bet if Garthwaite played up forward he would play as good if not better, he has pace, marking ability can run flat out and can also play back...gee what would he do? I’d put money on it.

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
the more sub par games he plays the more he grates on me.
He is getting on caddy’s nerves too, he needs to find form in the two and then have a crack.

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Sorry don’t mean to be a downer...........I’m really happy with what the coaching staff and what they have done and the way we play. Couldn’t be happier, just having a whinge.

Tango67

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
george is frustrating because he has pace, is hard at it and is good overhead, his decision making and footskilks are poor sometimes which stops him from becoming real good but he is a part of the puzzle that makes our team work and won't get dropped

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
He played a sizzling first quarter until he obtained some injury where he had small stints on the ground. The brilliant Saad was in shell shock during the first quarter and once George went off Saad started to run amok. I think we need to be a bit careful with the criticism as we’re uncertain with what degree of discomfort he was playing with. Hopefully they rest him this week so he can be cherry ripe for finals as he’s a needed player. In fairness we had a deficiency in our midfield so the boys weren’t working as hard or without the usual precision, so being a small forward was a disadvantage on Friday as Higgins Baker Conca and co we’re just bombing it forward with no certainty and it took brilliant individual efforts from Caddy and Martin to rectify the chaos entries.
I thought Rioli struggled for most of the night and even JR was irate with our forward entries. Our low score for the evening and Essendons inflated one clearly showed our midfield was down due to its inexperience and quality.
I wouldn’t gauge anything after this game due to our team fielded, but be happy that the boys got the job done.

The Myth I continue to read:

George will cost us a final one day.

Record is he’s played in 3/3 easy winning finals as his game creates more opportunities for others and it’s not about his individual results.
He’s a team man and he’s like that $100 titanium bolt in a $3million dollar F1 Ferrari engine , being a needed piece.

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
He played a sizzling first quarter until he obtained some injury where he had small stints on the ground. The brilliant Saad was in shell shock during the first quarter and once George went off Saad started to run amok. I think we need to be a bit careful with the criticism as we’re uncertain with what degree of discomfort he was playing with. Hopefully they rest him this week so he can be cherry ripe for finals as he’s a needed player. In fairness we had a deficiency in our midfield so the boys weren’t working as hard or without the usual precision, so being a small forward was a disadvantage on Friday as Higgins Baker Conca and co we’re just bombing it forward with no certainty and it took brilliant individual efforts from Caddy and Martin to rectify the chaos entries.
I thought Rioli struggled for most of the night and even JR was irate with our forward entries. Our low score for the evening and Essendons inflated one clearly showed our midfield was down due to its inexperience and quality.
I wouldn’t gauge anything after this game due to our team fielded, but be happy that the boys got the job done.

The Myth I continue to read:

George will cost us a final one day.

Record is he’s played in 3/3 easy winning finals as his game creates more opportunities for others and it’s not about his individual results.
He’s a team man and he’s like that $100 titanium bolt in a $3million dollar F1 Ferrari engine , being a needed piece.

My take on this is he is like that fresh rubber band in a F1 Ferrari engine. :)

db26

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league
Why would you change what's been working going into finals ?.Yeah like him to kick a few more goals etc no doubt. I'm still hoping Butler comes in as George is a better player.

partycorolla

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Black Rock
AFL Club
Richmond
He's not even getting the tackles anymore to compensate for his shortcomings. Looks tired and uncomfortable out there.
Reckon if Butler was playing he'd have been dropped by now.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

He was uncomfortable out there.... had a corkie I think. Chased well at times but not one of his best games. Missing his housemate.

Back