Player Watch #11: Jason Castagna - signed to 2023

Should Castagna be dropped for the Port game after his 2 disposal effort vs the Swans?

• Yes - for Cumberland

• Yes - for anyone

• No

• Make him Sub

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

With Lynch coming in; I think George wlil be important in regards to adding tackling and run. It might be hard to maintain the forward pressure and tackling of the last couple years with another proper KP forward in Lynch and maybe a 2nd ruckman replacing Grigg like CCJ

castagna being in the side could also help Higgins, Rioli, Butler, Caddy play more time in the middle

If he learns how to kick at goal from a set shot itd be very nice

I think its the opposite in regards to maintaining his tackling and pressure

Last 2 years we have seen george going up for marks more than he should due to not having a 2nd kpf and not really with the view of marking it but just making sure the ball is not marked by the opposition and keeping the ball neutral rather than just waiting down for a spill.

With Lynch & Riewoldt now the marking options i think we will find Castagna plays more the ground ball and hunts the opposition backman even more than the last 2 years

reckon Jason will "settle down" , not dissimilar to Jake King , he would butcher the ball frequently
then he learned to calm down and he became a big contributor
also similar was Matt White , who in his early days would try too hard , he did eventually settle and became a solid AFL level player

Jason is threatening to be a good mark in this grade and if he either fixes his set shots or takes some grabs each game
it will help make our forward line very potent

but with Bolton , Butler and Baker all wanting in the side he may not have the luxury of time

Reckon Jason should train as a tagger/onballer, wingman/high half forward (Lambert type) so that he opens his options. His aggression, speed and tackling could be utilised in our fairly one paced not particularly aggressive midfield.... just pump it long and not to cute with the ball. Harmes for Melbourne was a player without a real spot until they turned him into a tagger, was just about best on in one of the finals this year. Just to train him there will make him a better player, as The Gun pointed out his forward line marking option will not be so needed now.

He cant kick and can be a bit panicky and fumble, he very much rushes. If he doesnt learn to improve his composure and then ultimately his kicking, he will probably be overtaken in the side and lose his spot in the 22. Especially when you have Butler to come back into the side and Bolton knocking on the door.

Hes a handy player, but he is upgradable.

He cant kick and can be a bit panicky and fumble, he very much rushes. If he doesnt learn to improve his composure and then ultimately his kicking, he will probably be overtaken in the side and lose his spot in the 22. Especially when you have Butler to come back into the side and Bolton knocking on the door.

The best side contains Butler and George

Bolton would have to improve a hell of a lot to overtake

Early form will be very interesting this year...those that show it and show it well are imo the ones to pick...not reputations!

Especially with Georgie who definitely seems to be a confidence player when he’s up and about and backs himself in he can be a genuine match winner but when he’s down bloody hell hes a atrocity

This

That is why I think he needs to be utilised another way. Forward pocket is a hard gig, both Rioli and Butler play further up the ground so are afforded more time. Both have a lot more class, but not his physicality which could be used up the ground a bit like how posters wanted Townsend to be used, except he has the pace to do it. As you say I think he might struggle to retain his place. JLT at least.

s**t skills that are often costly and lacks composure. Hopefully he’s replaced.

s**t skills that are often costly and lacks composure. Hopefully he’s replaced.
Think you need to try and re-invent a player before you replace them. We did that to Tucky, didn't like his skill set and sent him to the ressies for a while until we realised this strengths over weaknesses. (Not that I am saying George is a Tucky). As I mentioned earlier, Harmes (Melb) was a ressies player more often than not until they turned him into a tagger, and took his opponent to the cleaners in the final). George is physically/skill wise not dissimilar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think you need to try and re-invent a player before you replace them. We did that to Tucky, didn't like his skill set and sent him to the ressies for a while until we realised this strengths over weaknesses. (Not that I am saying George is a Tucky). As I mentioned earlier, Harmes (Melb) was a ressies player more often than not until they turned him into a tagger, and took his opponent to the cleaners in the final). George is physically/skill wise not dissimilar.
George has been re-invented before. He was originally a half back and then was turned into a small forward. There is absolutely no chance he makes it as a midfielder.

George has been re-invented before. He was originally a half back and then was turned into a small forward. There is absolutely no chance he makes it as a midfielder.
He has played no senior football as a half back, besides half backs have to be very skillfull, especially the smaller ones. You can't play George there because of his lack of footskills. Midfielders come in all shapes and sizes. Look at Jack Graham, his skills are solid, but he gets very little ball. Butler has never won a hard ball in his life. Unfortunately Cotchin spends too much time diving into packs and winning hard balls because he is our best inside mid hard ball getter. If we had a tagger in there who is evasive with good speed it would lighten his load.
I said he could be trained and trialled there JLT, if he can cut it, then maybe he is worth a shot.

Last edited:
He was drafted as a defender though and is still pretty young

i dont think his around the ground kicking is as god awful as his kicking at goal
There is no way he could play off a HBF we would be destroyed with his panic kicks and fumbles under pressure creating turnover goals. Defenders need composure like Vlas and Grimes. Castagna is tenacious full throttle all the time, he doesnt know how to slow down and think things through.

Sit him on Sidebottom and make him earn every posession and you might see his worth. Whenever we get torched in the middle we do nothing about it. We back our mids against the opposition and usually that works, but when it doesn't we haven't had a plan B since Jackson was running around. Not every week, but you need a tagger, just ask Cotchin.

He really struggled this year, he might tackle and chase like a dog but he lacks a lot of class which I think might hurt him this year. I really like what I saw from baker and also think Bolton can easily replace him

I say we head into this year with the proven match winning mosquito fleet that won us the premiership in 17'. we saw only three games with the trio last year and George was by far our best small forward up until his injury which kind of derailed his season. We should rejoin that winning formula and see what happens.

We back our mids against the opposition and usually that works, but when it doesn't we haven't had a plan B since Jackson was running around. Not every week, but you need a tagger, just ask Cotchin.

Grigg is the tagger and he is rubbish at it

Last edited:
Back