Player Watch #11: Jason Castagna - signed to 2023

Should Castagna be dropped for the Port game after his 2 disposal effort vs the Swans?

• Yes - for Cumberland

• Yes - for anyone

• No

• Make him Sub

Results are only viewable after voting.
Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Umpire Bollard...

jezxSo0.gif

credit to the ump for getting out of the way, george was charging around like a man possessed on steroids with his arse on fire :D

It was Margetts after all, I thought for a second he was going to lay a bump on Georgie.

I like the way he actually runs out of bounds (two steps), but manages to keep the ball in play.

And what about that bounce of the ball inside the line of his running arc, that takes some serious ball control (for all those who say he is pure chaos).

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
And what about that bounce of the ball inside the line of his running arc, that takes some serious ball control (for all those who say he is pure chaos).
I'm at the point where i think even Georgie does'nt know what he doing...till he's done it! Fecking Chaos King!

tropicaltiger

🏆2017 🏆2019 🏆2020
Jan 4, 2002
cairns
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Snakes
It was Margetts after all, I thought for a second he was going to lay a bump on Georgie.
spot on, margetts would also have pinged him, if george had of brushed him, very smug campaigner and a west aussie as well.... would have thrived on the opportunity to take centre stage and rob us of a goal.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Man Utd
He is the Kaos King ... never know what you'll get ... but its always at high intensity !!!

Absolutely! Even his handballs are like WTF..! They are never clean but reaches an intended or unintended target most times....!
He's like a kid on a sugar rush with a candy in his hand......

biaseddustyfan

|17🏆|18🏆|19🏆|20🏆|21🏆|22🏆|23🏆|24🏆|25🏆|
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dusty
Absolutely! Even his handballs are like WTF..! They are never clean but reaches an intended or unintended target most times....!
He's like a kid on a sugar rush with a candy in his hand......

he actually had some good proper handballs last night, powerful and to the right spots...maybe someone has taken him aside to work on it, not sure. much better than his usual

Tiger71

?????? King of the Micro ??????
Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
MegaWall...(or Jizz Wall to some blokes...)

1YGIHAt.gif
jezxSo0.gif
V8O7tUr.gif

This is the perfect example of why George will always be picked. He is chaos, period. Defenders s**t themselves as they have no idea what he will do. Yeah he can stuff it up but defenders know he can do this also and have to put work into him. If they dont, he tends to be the one that sparks the others by feeding them the ball by hand or some crazy kick that makes the ball a dirty ball, on the deck for others to feed on.

Respect him heaps as he is not the most talented player on our list but his work rate and team first style is a credit to him.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Interesting to revisit debate from earlier in this thread about whether Castagna should be dumped based on his performances to that point(round 4 v Port Adelaide.)

In the five matches since then he has averaged about:
11.6 disposals, slightly up on his previous average of about 10.6 whilst playing forward.
1.4 goals 1 behind is above his career average of 1.0 goals and 0.9 behinds for scoring and at a better conversion rate.
4 tackles per game is well up on his career average of 3 per game.
.6 goal assists per match is above his career average of 0.5 per match.
1.8 clangers is well below his career average of 2.1 per match.

So there is in most cases a 10-20% improvement in these few statistical performance measures when compared to his career average.

I think the picture this paints is the selectors were correct to persevere with him, when his presence in the team was being hotly debated here.

It also possibly tells us a couple of other things.

1. He was probably a bit rusty when he came into the team for round two off a badly interrupted pre season, and
2. He just might be showing the sort of improvement you would expect from a 22-23 yo through about 50 matches in experience.

I still believe all these smaller types should do a bit of VFL time over the course of the season and pleased to see Rioli and Butler having a run around under slightly less pressure. This should keep them fresh, hungry and of course allows crucial games to be put into other players and keeps opponents guessing a bit. You can only be very pleased with how Castagna is going though.

Mar 9, 2007
Way over yonder across the hill
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Burnie United FC, Cheddar AFC
Interesting to revisit debate from earlier in this thread about whether Castagna should be dumped based on his performances to that point(round 4 v Port Adelaide.)

In the five matches since then he has averaged about:
11.6 disposals, slightly up on his previous average of about 10.6 whilst playing forward.
1.4 goals 1 behind is above his career average of 1.0 goals and 0.9 behinds for scoring and at a better conversion rate.
4 tackles per game is well up on his career average of 3 per game.
.6 goal assists per match is above his career average of 0.5 per match.
1.8 clangers is well below his career average of 2.1 per match.

So there is in most cases a 10-20% improvement in these few statistical performance measures when compared to his career average.

I think the picture this paints is the selectors were correct to persevere with him, when his presence in the team was being hotly debated here.

It also possibly tells us a couple of other things.

1. He was probably a bit rusty when he came into the team for round two off a badly interrupted pre season, and
2. He just might be showing the sort of improvement you would expect from a 22-23 yo through about 50 matches in experience.

I still believe all these smaller types should do a bit of VFL time over the course of the season and pleased to see Rioli and Butler having a run around under slightly less pressure. This should keep them fresh, hungry and of course allows crucial games to be put into other players and keeps opponents guessing a bit. You can only be very pleased with how Castagna is going though.
I thought Saturday night was his quietest for a while. He still worked hard. The ball just seemed to avoid him goer most off the night. Doubt he'll be dropped.

Back