Traded 11. Jess Hosking

Remove this Banner Ad

Except it looks like we’re actually getting some decent picks in exchange and not paying a significant chunk of the wages of our outgoing players…
The picks are comprised from what I understand. We cant get into the top 5 and take Presparkis either. A lot of experience walking out the door to be replaced by kids in a compromised draft.

The picks are comprised from what I understand. We cant get into the top 5 and take Presparkis either. A lot of experience walking out the door to be replaced by kids in a compromised draft.

Only compromised by expansion clubs receiving picks at the pointy end.

We'll still enter the draft with 2 x top 10 picks (6 and 7 in Victoria)

Gutted. I have no idea what the hell we are trying to achieve this year other than unload some of our best players (Tayla excepted, happy to move her on).
Unload?

Katie Loynes was retired, Chole Dalton decided she wants to stay in Sydney, Tayla priced herself out of the club and Jess decided she wanted to play with her sister.

What do you you mean by "what the hell we are trying to achieve"? Loynes is the only one you might consider to be a club decision, the rest clearly aren't.

We should calm the farm a little bit - these next few drafts are going to be the girls that have come though playing football from Auskick junior level - the more picks we have the better.

You will see less and less “cross coders” coming through and dominating the competition and hopefully less of them entering the competition and more and more “true footballers” taking precedence.

It’s the right thing to do. :thumbsu:

Sounds like we were blindsided by the request. So those getting annoyed at the club for losing her should really be directing that at Richmond for their dodgy last-minute move.

While not ideal, I think we made the most of this situation and hopefully will get some decent youngsters in the draft.

0 loyalty in aflw

Can't blame them.

The low pay means they need to do what is best for them. Often that comes with which team can offer them the best off-field opportunities.

Also, it's not like they're signing 3, 4, 5+ year contracts like they do in the AFL, so job security is very low.

Plus the teams and game are changing at such a pace, that places in a best 22 or positions on the field are also at risk.

I think things might start to settle down after a few more seasons.

I understand the reasoning behind it but it's hard to let yourself get too invested in the AFLW given the current rules around player movement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand the reasoning behind it but it's hard to let yourself get too invested in the AFLW given the current rules around player movement.

Fair point.

The names/faces are changing more than I'd like, but I figure I support the team no matter who is wearing the jumper.

And if my fave gets traded, then I just have to find a new one.

I was a HUGE B Davey fan. Was gutted when she left. But then I just jumped on the Prespakis bandwagon. And if she leaves, I'll pick someone else.

Fair point.

The names/faces are changing more than I'd like, but I figure I support the team no matter who is wearing the jumper.

And if my fave gets traded, then I just have to find a new one.

I was a HUGE B Davey fan. Was gutted when she left. But then I just jumped on the Prespakis bandwagon. And if she leaves, I'll pick someone else.
You're a bigger man than me Ferris (well probably not physically by all reports but definitely emotionally). I'll still follow it but I loved the way Harris, Loynesy and the Hoskings all cracked in.

Can't blame them.

The low pay means they need to do what is best for them. Often that comes with which team can offer them the best off-field opportunities.

Also, it's not like they're signing 3, 4, 5+ year contracts like they do in the AFL, so job security is very low.

Plus the teams and game are changing at such a pace, that places in a best 22 or positions on the field are also at risk.

I think things might start to settle down after a few more seasons.
The league size is changing at pace, and the players are developing, but the fundamental fixturing and game structure isn't, and that's a problem IMO.

It's a winter sport, and it's being shunted more and more into the middle of summer. Intentionally or not, the AFL are doing everything they can to undermine an argument for social/gender equity in the name of tapping more revenue from each league in the short term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back