Delisted 11. Josh Jenkins (2020 - 2021)

Feb 4, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies - SNAFL
Didn't want him. I don't rate him.
But seeing he is here, welcome and hopefully he proves me wrong and many others.
Hi, hope you don’t mind my thoughts. Jenkins has always been an interesting one. Has a lot of athleticism. Can take a contested mark but doesn’t do it enough. His goal kicking has improved a lot the last couple of years. Probably needs to work on defensive pressure imo. But from where he was from when we first grabbed him to now is chalk and cheese. He will slot in nicely and is a solid ruck/forward with versatility. I wish him luck. Not sure how close he and Danger were, but I bet Danger would love to break free from a centre clearance and deliver to JJ. Thanks

sauron256

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2009
Taz
AFL Club
Geelong
A couple of things & not to be a pain, but how many of those top 10 picks actually played in a premiership though?

As you noted, Collingwood has 5 top 10 picks since 2007 but they were all taken since 2013 - so none of their top 10 picks actually played in their 2010 premiership (Sidebottom was pick 11 and highest pick since 2007 but before 2010 premiership)

And, you have Port listed twice but no Hawthorn
Yeah there's lots of 'noise' in the data but the broad point originally made - you need to have top 10 picks - doesn't hold out. If players moved then won a premiership then the top 10 pick didn't help the original club at all, so I didn't think it was relevant.

I've fixed the Port snafu, and the Hawks haven't had a top 10 picks in the timeframe - they've drafted them from other clubs.

catswhiskers

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
Far North East
AFL Club
Geelong
Krueger will be into his second year on the list. It's pure unadulterated garbage to even consider him "forcing" anything. If he gets a game or two then excellent. If not then he will continue to learn and be ready in his third year.

Next year Kreuger will be into his third senior year. One in SANFL one with us so far. I think most would say its the third year as a main list player which is make or break for most players (injuries can make it longer) and they do have to demand selection (in AFL anyway).

Very few youngsters are gifted games without putting their hand up if the established players ahead of them are fit and in reasonable form. Parfitt, Clark recently, did well in their first preseason and practice matches, to push for immediate elevation to the seniors.

(IMO - Underdeveloped rookies might need another year if they show a bit. )

Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Here's a list of how many top 10 picks each club has taken since 2007. In parenthesis is how many flags they've won.

GWS: 19 (0)
Gold Coast: 16 (0)
Demons: 10 (0)
Brisbane: 9 (0)
Essendon: 8 (0)
Carlton: 8 (0)
Bulldogs: 6 (1)
St Kilda: 6 (0)
Freo: 6 (0)
Port: 6 (0)
Collingwood: 5 (1)
North: 5 (0)
Richmond: 5 (2)
West Coast: 4 (1)
Sydney: 3 (1)
Adelaide: 3 (0)
Geelong: 1 (3)

Bit sneaky starting it from 2007. After all, in our 2007, 2009 and 2011 premiership teams we had Corey (pick 8), Bartel (pick 8) and Ottens (2 originally). Also Hawkins was taken at 41 under the father-son rules but would have been top 3 and possibly first pick. In fact, the AFL changed the rules after that.

Not to mention Selwood (pick 7)!

We were also amazingly fortunate that two of our other father-sons, Ablett and Scarlett, who were not considered top 10 standard, ended up two of the best players of all time.

But your point about top 10 picks not guaranteeing premierships is clearly true.

Last edited:

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
I know this is from a former Crows teammate, but wonder if Jenkins would feel the same:

Surely there's a book in the making about that Crows Camp :eek:
A huge amount of talent has walked from that Club since , look at how Cameron flourished at the Lions this year.
Pykes old man was a psychiatrist and I think he is similarly qualified - maybe he stretched the envelope too far?
My hope for JJ is that he has a new lease of life with us - if he gets back to 2018 form we'll all be doing cartwheels :thumbsu:

Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Surely there's a book in the making about that Crows Camp :eek:
A huge amount of talent has walked from that Club since , look at how Cameron flourished at the Lions this year.
Pykes old man was a psychiatrist and I think he is similarly qualified - maybe he stretched the envelope too far?
My hope for JJ is that he has a new lease of life with us - if he gets back to 2018 form we'll all be doing cartwheels :thumbsu:

Actually his father, Frank, was a physiologist (sports scientist). He rebuilt Dennis Lillee's bowling action after his back injuries. Completely different to psychiatry!

Don Pyke has also never been a psychiatrist. He studied commerce, for God's sake.

Regardless, the shonky operators who ran the Crows' pre-season camp weren't even qualified psychologists! Any psychiatrist would be horrified by their practices.

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
Actually his father, Frank, was a physiologist (sports scientist). He rebuilt Dennis Lillee's bowling action after his back injuries. Completely different to psychiatry!

Don Pyke has also never been a psychiatrist. He studied commerce, for God's sake.

Regardless, the shonky operators who ran the Crows' pre-season camp weren't even qualified psychologists! Any psychiatrist would be horrified by their practices.

Appreciate that mate , I’ll have to have a strong word with my Eagle work colleague ☹️

sauron256

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2009
Taz
AFL Club
Geelong
Bit sneaky starting it from 2007. After all, in our 2007, 2009 and 2011 premiership teams we had Corey (pick 8), Bartel (pick 8) and Ottens (2 originally). Also Hawkins was taken at 41 under the father-son rules but would have been top 3 and possibly first pick. In fact, the AFL changed the rules after that.

We were also amazingly fortunate that two of our other father-sons, Ablett and Scarlett, who were not considered top 10 standard, ended up two of the best players of all time.

But your point about top 10 picks not guaranteeing premierships is clearly true.
Not really, I felt it was a good starting point because if top 10 draft picks equated success we would be seeing the fruit of them by now.

But the true reason was I was too lazy to go back any further. :p

Hi, hope you don’t mind my thoughts. Jenkins has always been an interesting one. Has a lot of athleticism. Can take a contested mark but doesn’t do it enough. His goal kicking has improved a lot the last couple of years. Probably needs to work on defensive pressure imo. But from where he was from when we first grabbed him to now is chalk and cheese. He will slot in nicely and is a solid ruck/forward with versatility. I wish him luck. Not sure how close he and Danger were, but I bet Danger would love to break free from a centre clearance and deliver to JJ. Thanks

Interesting that you mention his defensive pressure. Was flicking through the 2019 AFL Prospectus before, and they said in 2018 Jenkins was the only key forward to play more than 5 games and rate elite in tackles and forward fifty pressure acts...

Feb 4, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies - SNAFL
Interesting that you mention his defensive pressure. Was flicking through the 2019 AFL Prospectus before, and they said in 2018 Jenkins was the only key forward to play more than 5 games and rate elite in tackles and forward fifty pressure acts...
Really? Well there you go. I guess it is sometimes harder to notice. For example Betts is a defensive tackling machine in comparison, but Betts was always fairly obvious though. Well that is a good stat if that is the case.

Really? Well there you go. I guess it is sometimes harder to notice. For example Betts is a defensive tackling machine in comparison, but Betts was always fairly obvious though. Well that is a good stat if that is the case.

Yeah, I guess it's not as obvious with the key forwards compared to the smaller blokes around them. FWIW, they also class Tom Hawkins as elite amongst key forwards in terms of defensive pressure too.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong

Mackie also top 10 pick.

Feb 4, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies - SNAFL
Yeah, I guess it's not as obvious with the key forwards compared to the smaller blokes around them. FWIW, they also class Tom Hawkins as elite amongst key forwards in terms of defensive pressure too.
Well you have two of them now. How do you think the two will play? Hawkins more of a lead up forward and Jenkins staying back a bit?

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
So, you agree he's unintelligent?
Would you also care to point out how he did such a terrible job this year?
I'm not going to be drawn into semantic arguments about the definition of unintelligent. He failed to convince the other coaches for the need of faster ball movement into the forward line. That's assuming he even asked for it. That's just the obvious one.

Also I dont have to know of failures made. The fact he didnt practise as a forward suggests the forwards might not be getting the best advice they could get nor the best positioning. If I hire a nurse to lead a team of junior doctors it's pretty obvious they might not be getting the best advice possible.

chris9753

Team Captain
Aug 23, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
I see him as similar to sav. Has the attributes where afl will suit his game more than vfl.

Hope you're right about Kreugs! What I love about Sav is that he has improved markedly each season....if he's got another couple of jumps in him he'll end up one of the stars of the comp!

edit: sp

Last edited:

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm not going to be drawn into semantic arguments about the definition of unintelligent. He failed to convince the other coaches for the need of faster ball movement into the forward line. That's assuming he even asked for it. That's just the obvious one.

Also I dont have to know of failures made. The fact he didnt practise as a forward suggests the forwards might not be getting the best advice they could get nor the best positioning. If I hire a nurse to lead a team of junior doctors it's pretty obvious they might not be getting the best advice possible.
In other words, you don't have the foggiest.

Back