News 11 June 2020 - Restarting the 2020 AFL season

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Ha ha - 6PR were very excited to have finally pinned down Steve Hocking for an interview tonite after weeks of trying. Hocking would make a good politician, he probably answered about two of twenty questions put to him and they were only the bleeding obvious anyway. I think I learnt one thing from the whole interview: the Gold Coast hub is apparently to be called The High Performance Centre. Oh, and they're likely to allow for more sponsors logos on the backs of jumpers. :neutral:

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Given we have returned to a traditional fixture (1 game per week) there is absolutely no need for an increased bench (or shortened quarters)
Yeah? ........... Nah!

* Hugely compromised match conditioning after taking a two month break
* Just a few weeks of full-contact training now
* No byes to rest bodies during season
* Other codes that have started have registered massive increases in soft-tissue injuries

It's just common sense.

Ian McKeown speaks to the media.

Around 7 minute mark Mackers talks about sharing info with Brisbane Broncos guys. I assume there will be more discussions when we are based the SE Qld Hub in june and July.

How did we link up with the Broncos?? All started with Phil Walsh and Aaron Greaves getting to know Anthony Seibold. Seibold was the Melbourne Storms development coach in 2014. I think Greaves knew Seibold before he joined Ports at the end of 2013 season. We did something together in 2014, but in 2015 it cranked up and our young players and their young players did a week's training together in the preseason. The Storm's head coach Craig Bellamy ended up coming to check out Port's set up in 2015.

Siebold became an assistant coach to Bellamy then he got the head coaching job at South Sydney Rabbitohs after 2017 season ended and we ended up doing 2017-18 preseason stuff at Redfern with their young players and our young players for a week like the Storm stuff, then a couple of their main kickers came to Alberton for a few days in mid 2018.

Then end of 2018 season Anthony Seibold and Wayne Bennett switch coaching roles at Brisbane and South Sydney, so looks like that close connection with Seibold has been maintained but its now with the Broncos high performance and general footy department staff.

We probably did some unreported stuff with their HP staff when we went up to Sunshine Coast Sports Hub at Lake Kawana, just south of Maroochydore, for our preseason camp in December last year.

Brisbane probably have the best facilities in the NRL, so if we struggle to get what we want on the GC we will probably use some of their facilities, unless AFL steps in with protocols that say otherwise.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Securing an extra few weeks at home – and out of the Gold Coast hub – was an incredibly important win for Port Adelaide. Their round-two Showdown against Adelaide will be a highlight of the return. The stakes are incredibly high, not only because it will be the only match of the first four rounds outside the Queensland hub for the two SA teams, but also because it is the perfect opportunity for Port's rivals to bounce back from a disappointing round-one loss to Sydney. Life in the bubble is an enormous step into the unknown, so not wasting a chance to put their best foot forward in their home state is vital for the Power. Ollie Wines and Charlie Dixon are fit, while Robbie Gray is expected to play despite injuring his toe after dropping a weight on it.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
I posted the following comments in the NRL thread but they are worth a mention in this thread.

I watched most of the NRL games on the weekend and

Coverage wise the crowd noise effects worked well. It is probably more effective in the NRL as the action tends to be confined to a smaller area on the field and the cameras can be focused inside of the touch lines and you do not see the empty stands until the ball goes out of play or is kicked. I reckon with AFL footy it may not be as effective as the stands and outer are normally visible for longer periods as the ball moves more quickly over a longer distance.

The FOXTEL production team used the crowd noise quite well as they were able to modulate it to suit the on field action. The result was louder cheering as tries were scored etc. There were times when I actually forgot there was no crowd, hopefully the AFL works as well.

Not sure the cardboard cut outs were as effective as they looked what they were. Still cardboard cut outs are probably going to be more knowledgeable than a stadium full of Crows fans. That said the NRL cut outs were a bit of fun and probably raised some cash for the NRL.

Yup, claim they don't need financial assistance, then get financial assistance.
The prime time position and coverage gifted to these sides is the most effective and lucrative handout existing in the AFL today.

I posted the following comments in the NRL thread but they are worth a mention in this thread.

I watched most of the NRL games on the weekend and

Coverage wise the crowd noise effects worked well. It is probably more effective in the NRL as the action tends to be confined to a smaller area on the field and the cameras can be focused inside of the touch lines and you do not see the empty stands until the ball goes out of play or is kicked. I reckon with AFL footy it may not be as effective as the stands and outer are normally visible for longer periods as the ball moves more quickly over a longer distance.

The FOXTEL production team used the crowd noise quite well as they were able to modulate it to suit the on field action. The result was louder cheering as tries were scored etc. There were times when I actually forgot there was no crowd, hopefully the AFL works as well.

Not sure the cardboard cut outs were as effective as they looked what they were. Still cardboard cut outs are probably going to be more knowledgeable than a stadium full of Crows fans. That said the NRL cut outs were a bit of fun and probably raised some cash for the NRL.
9 did the Thursday night, Friday night and Sunday game and Foxtel the other games. I saw Thursday and Friday nights and they seemed to have a good balance. Where the other games similar? Better? Worse than those 2?

Back