Autopsy 11 Losses in a row - Booooooo - Rd 7 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

In some ways you can be bound by your previous successes where you rate and trust your midfield to turn it around quickly when the team loses a couple of clearances or gets a few goals behind.

We have a good midfield. Maybe not as deep was we'd like. When you add Cerra (and I guess that's the reason Tucker was brought back a little early in selection) - a coach has those extra pieces to shift around and try and keep ahead of the opposition taking some ascendency - but without those surefire options you can make moves with your 2nd stringers too late...or not at all.

I thought maybe Walters could have gone into the middle today or we could have gone with a player who could apply a hard tag on one of their mids, just to change it around.

Everything looks wiser in hindsight. You're 3 goals down and you go to your trusted midfield and it blows out to 5 goals. Oh well.

Out Coached!!
Sorry to say it but we ended up playing to the Eagles game.
Not the first time the coaching has got it wrong or most importantly not adjusted.
I'm not a Longmuir basher but sitting in the coaches box with head in hands is not coaching.
We need him toughen up and put a rocket up the team then get some help to learn some strategy because he is not ready yet to lead a flag wining team.
Lucky for him the team is not ready yet either.
A few good lessons learned today hopefully and we can get better.

I dunno man a lot of backmen are coming down to earth with a thud this year

Last year was defender utopia

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

So you think it's systematic or a result of the new rules and not an issue with Logue then? I agree it is to some extent.

So you think it's systematic or a result of the new rules and not an issue with Logue then? I agree it is to some extent.
Logue had 1 game in the 2’s to get some sort of game sense & fitness & then went straight into the AFL & played on Walker. No scratchies & limited game simulation training, give him a chance to get it right.

When Steven May first played at Melbourne, he was coming off injury & was s**t. He was given time & is one of their most important players atm.

Give him some time to find form & fitness, because he’s been thrown in the deep end with the injuries to Hamling & Pearce not to mention today not having our best intercept defender in Ryan assisting & then to lose our second best intercept/sit in the hole defender go off in the 2nd. He had very little support.

It’s no coincidence that we began to fall away in the 2nd when Hughes went off, despite his failings, he is very important to our defensive structure & gives great effort.

Which can’t be said for one of our other high priced defensive recruits.

So folks are happy then?

As bad as the game was there was a few positives....

As I posted earlier....

- Matt Taberner kicked 3 goals before half time.

- Tobe Watsons 1st goal was a beautiful set shot. Yes he is listed as a defender, but if that is how he kicks goals from those set shots, put him up forward, I dont mind more of those goals.

- Kicked more than 2.19.31.

- Acres gets crapped on here but he got 24 disposals.

- James Aish did ok with 20 disposals.

- Darcy tucker had the occasion turn over but he too got 20 dispsoals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to get fitter, you can’t win a game with this many passengers or coaching mismanagement, percent time on ground:

Serong 66%
Watson 65%
Tucker 70%
Shultz 75%
Crowden 62%

You’d be filthy as a teammate, even Chapman played 80% with one arm

Yeah what’s with blokes playing only half a game? I guess it’s managing work loads but Serong regularly only plays around 65%

That was a really poor way to end the weekend after looking forward to the game - we looked like year 9’s getting bullied by the year 12’s in the second half. Our depth just isn’t that good enough, or mature enough, to have an impact on the better teams and it looks like we need 4 or 5 more to return from injury To be competitive. We seem to lack size around the contest as was evident against Carlton and today.

Who are we going to look at with pick 6?
If freo were going to struggle again, I dont mind finishing 14th with pick 5. Trade pick 5 and a 2022 3rd rounder for the 8th placed sides mid 1st , mid 2nd and mid 3rd rounder which would be picks 12, 30 and 48. That will add to our 2nd rounder of pick 23.

If freo were going to struggle again, I dont mind finishing 14th with pick 5. Trade pick 5 and a 2022 3rd rounder for the 8th placed sides mid 1st , mid 2nd and mid 3rd rounder which would be picks 12, 30 and 48. That will add to our 2nd rounder of pick 23.
Sick of all the talk year after year about the draft, Havent we had the last 5 years to get the draft right, how many more years do we want to finish bottom 5 or 6 to get excited about the draft?

A few posters are saying that Griffen Logue is looking to be a Bust.....

I disagree. Looking at his development....

2017: Played like 13 games in his debut season. He looked solid but he was playing around the ground.

2018: He was injured all season and played a couple of peel games in the WAFL.

2019: Played 10 games as he was rotating depth in the back line and was injured for half a season.

2020: Played the 1st 5 games in the season and didnt play another game in 2020 due to injury.

2021: didnt play a dockers game until round 5.

So from 2017-2020 he has played 28 games out of 83 games.

Sick of all the talk year after year about the draft, Havent we had the last 5 years to get the draft right, how many more years do we want to finish bottom 5 or 6 to get excited about the draft?
I wish the rebuild was easy.

But saying that, the rebuild has been flawed but we have some good kids coming through.

The harsh reality is this, this rebuild will take longer than originally predicted.

I hate to compare us to West coast. But the reality is this: Freo are poorly run for most of their history and underfunded. West coast has got 50-60 million in the bank, we dont.

we aint making finals. 27 years in and we have only made finals in 7 out of those 27 years. No point getting frustrated over it.

If we had more money and had better scouts and a bit of luck, our club history would of been much better. Not saying we were certain of a flag. Intead of making finals 7 times out of 27, it could of been 10-12 years out of 27.

We need to get fitter, you can’t win a game with this many passengers or coaching mismanagement, percent time on ground:

Serong 66%
Watson 65%
Tucker 70%
Shultz 75%
Crowden 62%

You’d be filthy as a teammate, even Chapman played 80% with one arm
Why we playing Tucker if that’s the way he’s managed? Blakely is fit, it seems the coach rank players and you’re off the injury list, in you go. Was against it without any WAFL game last week. He only played once for Peel seniors. Crowden does nothing on the field so what’s the point of 62% TOG. Baffling.
Sturt should be in and Blakely has to stop being maligned. Play him, give him a chance. No way should Tucker have played regardless of who coaches like about him.

Why we playing Tucker if that’s the way he’s managed? Blakely is fit, it seems the coach rank players and you’re off the injury list, in you go. Was against it without any WAFL game last week. He only played once for Peel seniors. Crowden does nothing on the field so what’s the point of 62% TOG. Baffling.
Sturt should be in and Blakely has to stop being maligned. Play him, give him a chance. No way should Tucker have played regardless of who coaches like about him.
Because Blakely is barely WAFL competent let alone AFL.

Man. I had to turn off the game at 3 quarter time. I was at work and I was starting to get ratty with my staff. What a disappointment. Not the end of the world though. We are talking about being beaten by a heavily experienced team with two monster fowards coming off a beasting whereas we are a depleted team with no backline to talk about. Coxy can't do it by himself, Logue needs to play into some form. Hughes and Chapman brave. The only players who concern me realistically are Acres and Wilson. Not impressed.

Feelin sad fam

Chin up, mate. I've seen worse losses than this. Sadly I think it was inevitable. Home game next week, hopefully the crowds back (which have always pumped us up) and hopefully a couple of returning players and we'll be right. This is a young team. It takes time

No point ranting and raving, this was quite an easy tip like it always is.

WC’s system is better, their structure is better, personnel is better. It sucks but it’s not going to change just because it’s ‘our time’ or we have ‘momentum’ or something. With both back lines depleted, in a shootout we were never getting close. Our defence is second rate with the guys out that we have. Hopefully at least Hamling will be back soon to help out on the big forwards.

But more importantly we have too many players whose heads are not in the game. We won’t go anywhere with someone like Acres in the team, and Lobb and Logue should not be considered certain starters just for their structure.

I’d say we’re a bit better than what we showed in this game, but not a lot better. We can regroup and challenge Brisbane at home, and probably keep the finals flame alive for most of the year but we’re not a real threat.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back