MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Dog of a game, one of the worst.

A game where you see the disconnect of supporters and players, with the disparity of how much it means to either party.

Three examples of this,

- Kelly, the player we offered (potentially) more money to play for us, but didn't want to, was allowed contact free stoppages and collected 42 disposals.
- Gaff, the player who caved in the mouth of a teenager, the prized jewel in our 'rebuild', was allowed to run around unchecked and collect 35 disposals.
- Kennedy, laid a heavy (fair) bump on a completely vulnerable 19 year old playing his sixth AFL game, who was playing through a dislocated shoulder... and then Kennedy just jogged back to position, smiling and joking with his team mates at three quarter time.

I see this as a supporter, having an adult meltdown on the couch that is so stark to my normal behaviour that even my dog notices. Brennan Cox jogs back to position to stand on his man and then I'm reminded that it's just a job for them.

Nothing is lonelier than knowing that, the least they could do is pretend it's not.
The reality of it all is, none of the players care about "playing for the jumper." And unfortunately what legitimate reason do they have to play for it? They're getting paid decent money at the end of the week no matter how poorly they play, so there's no incentive for them to give a s**t. Fans hate how badly they're playing? Doesn't matter to them,they're getting paid. Fans hurl abuse at them? Still paid.

There's nothing any group of fans or anyone can do to actually cause any change, I can't really name anyone who "plays for the jumper" in any team, and if there are it's less than a handful. Sports isn't about team pride anymore, it's about getting a payday and being in the limelight, and as sad as it is, and as completely depressing as it is to watch as a fan, I completely get the mindset.

"Make enough money so you don't have to worry for the rest of your life, why do I give a * what a few people on the internet say?"

That's the sad state of football, players are getting paid more than ever, there's a much lower incentive to actually give a * now.

Midnite65

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Philadelpia 76'ers
One type of speed is running speed. Another form of speed is quickness at reading the game. Kennedy is much quicker than Logue at responding to what is in front of them.
Unfortunately too many players like him that are gifted games on either potential, injuries to other players or players not ready to step up yet so where is the pressure on a Logue to perform to his highest when he knows he will get a game every week.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Unfortunately too many players like him that are gifted games on either potential, injuries to other players or players not ready to step up yet so where is the pressure on a Logue to perform to his highest when he knows he will get a game every week.
Logue was a beast last year and looked like he could be anything, he then got a very significant injury. Right now he's on the comeback trail really and his prep is pretty thin. If we had Pearce & Hamling he'd have more time to hit his straps in a less harsh examination than the AFL.

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
PS Oscar Allan - diving on Freddys foot - I'd cite him for that.

Wish we had more of that in our side, players that collapse into opposition players knees like what happened to Lobb in PS, Cerras ankle a few weeks ago and Freddys foot, players that make sure to take the wind out of a player when they both go down not look out for the opposition

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
I just felt we didn’t have strong leadership and we didn’t have heart. We were soft and going through the motions.

Where is their pride? Where is their heart? Do they even care? On paper we should have won. It was the weakest team they have put out in years.

I don’t get the nice guy attitude that’s crept into footy.The boys need to stand for something more than themselves. We don’t have many heart and soul players. We needed Luke Ryan out there. You can have any system you want, but more importantly you need desire, controlled aggression, and you you must hate to lose. I am certain most supporters are more upset w

They embarrassed themselves yesterday, but more importantly, they embarrassed us supporters. I am sick and tired of going to work the Monday following derbies sad and ashamed.

I wish I knew how we could make the players care.
Brayshaw being a nice guy. You’d know if it was Suban, Crowley, J Carr on the receiving end, they would’ve gone after him in the games after. Instead it’s just oh we played Golf, handshake and done. Gaff continues to pants us off the wing.
Ross, early, was bashing on west coast then a few years later, probably by the management downplayed derbies. Ever since we looked weak and feeble

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Brayshaw being a nice guy. You’d know if it was Suban, Crowley, J Carr on the receiving end, they would’ve gone after him in the games after. Instead it’s just oh we played Golf, handshake and done. Gaff continues to pants us off the wing.
Ross, early, was bashing on west coast then a few years later, probably by the management downplayed derbies. Ever since we looked weak and feeble
Once WC embedded the Simpson game plan that was the end of us in derbies.

Outshined

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Could be wrong but I vaguely remember Pav recalling that when Ross first started here he was livid with the (unfortunately justified) lack of respect shown by West Coast. Externally he downplayed things but internally it was probably a very different story.

Would be nice for someone to light that fire again because yesterday was just sad more than anything else.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Could be wrong but I vaguely remember Pav recalling that when Ross first started here he was livid with the (unfortunately justified) lack of respect shown by West Coast. Externally he downplayed things but internally it was probably a very different story.

Would be nice for someone to light that fire again because yesterday was just sad more than anything else.

I think you’re thinking about Pav in his book said that Lyon didn’t understand the importance that the players put on a derby win, but Pav explained it to him and he then promised Pav he’d do everything possible to win every derby from then on.

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle

They've got less respect for us than ever. We're a complete joke to them, and performances like that don't do anything but enforce the status quo. The infuriating thing is they can rock up arrogant as *, complacent knowing they will brush us aside and we just play our role and roll over.

Like others said if we're outclassed that's fine but we need to fight to the end and stand up for our own.
No one has gone near Gaff, in every derby since he coward punched AB. That is just crazy.

Outshined

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think you’re thinking about Pav in his book said that Lyon didn’t understand the importance that the players put on a derby win, but Pav explained it to him and he then promised Pav he’d do everything possible to win every derby from then on.

That's the one - worked out well for a few years there at least.

They've got less respect for us than ever. We're a complete joke to them, and performances like that don't do anything but enforce the status quo. The infuriating thing is they can rock up arrogant as fu**, complacent knowing they will brush us aside and we just play our role and roll over.

Like others said if we're outclassed that's fine but we need to fight to the end and stand up for our own.
No one has gone near Gaff, in every derby since he coward punched AB. That is just crazy.

Can't argue with this. Feels like learned helplessness at this point.

Maybe it turns later in the year if we're in/near the top 8 and have a home crowd behind us...I won't hold my breath though.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wish we had more of that in our side, players that collapse into opposition players knees like what happened to Lobb in PS, Cerras ankle a few weeks ago and Freddys foot, players that make sure to take the wind out of a player when they both go down not look out for the opposition
Go all yakuza on the arse eh? Can't say I'd be going with that intent myself, but that dive by Allen...there was no way he was going to get anywhere near it. Absolutely an unrealistic attempt at the ball, but a totally realistic attempt at upping the odds of harm/injury to Freddy.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Once WC embedded the Simpson game plan that was the end of us in derbies.
I think having top-level KPPs gives greater leverage in big games. For years we had the wood in the Derbies along with Pav and McPharlin in their pomp, the shoe is on the other foot since late 2015.

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
Go all yakuza on the arse eh? Can't say I'd be going with that intent myself, but that dive by Allen...there was no way he was going to get anywhere near it. Absolutely an unrealistic attempt at the ball, but a totally realistic attempt at upping the odds of harm/injury to Freddy.
Feels like we actively try and avoid causing harm, where a lot of other sides aren’t phased in the slightest, another example was NN knee to sandis ribs, our players turn their knee to not cause harm

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle

I don’t get the nice guy attitude that’s crept into footy.The boys need to stand for something more than themselves. We don’t have many heart and soul players. We needed Luke Ryan out there. You can have any system you want, but more importantly you need desire, controlled aggression, and you you must hate to lose. I am certain most supporters are more upset w

It the long-term effect of the draft. Very, very few players grow up giving two hoots about the team that they will eventually play for. Most high-end draft picks probably have stronger feelings of friendship for their peers on the opposition than the older guys on their own team. After all it is the opp players that they played junior footy with, were on development squads with, etc.

Most guys who were picked at their first draft know that they probably could have gone to another team without too much difficulty. Why bleed for the jumper, when it could so easily have been another jumper -- perhaps even one closer to home for a team they actually followed growing up.

Why bleed for the jumper when the club will de-list you or try to force you into a trade if it suits them?

Generally, the players that care the most are those mature age state league types (like Ryan or Schultz) who know what it is like to be overlooked and work 9-to-5. They are the ones that who act as if they owe their club something because they are the ones who think "if this club didn't grab me no-one would have".

About the one mature ager I can think of who didn't appear to show that really strong loyalty is Kelly. But by the time he was ready to be drafted, Kelly knew he had multiple options: that Geelong just had the right pick, rather than being the only option.

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
The teams on the park yesterday were actually not that far apart in terms of experience, someone posted the breakdown earlier in the thread.

We’re falling into the trap of calling ourselves a young team every year, when we actually have a core of experience, another group that have built up plenty of experience by now, and then a revolving door of fringe/younger players.

Out team make-up is no different to teams that aren’t rebuilding.

We’re not that young anymore. We should be performing now, if the rebuild was successful.

I vehemently disagree with this.

That graphic that was posted belies the difference. The average age is skewed significantly by Mundy, and the Eagles have a lot more 150+ game players in key positions on all 3 lines.

Our younger players are in positions where we rely more significantly on their contributions to win and our up and down results are a consequence of that due to their natural inconsistency.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle

That graphic that was posted belies the difference. The average age is skewed significantly by Mundy, and the Eagles have a lot more 150+ game players in key positions on all 3 lines.

Our younger players are in positions where we rely more significantly on their contributions to win and our up and down results are a consequence of that due to their natural inconsistency.
Our midfield got smashed and in there we have plenty of experience. I am big on perspective and how things like age and experience matter, but there is no out here.

I'd be curious to see what the stats would like like if you took both the top 3, and bottom 3 out of both categories.
Need to remove the outliers for real statistical analysis

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
The best teams are that way because they are good without ball in hand. They make better/quicker decisions, position themselves better & then have greater opportunity to impact the contest either by receiving the ball or assisting the ball receiver with body protection or creating space for the player with ball to move into.

Richmond are the best, West Coast & Bulldogs are next & then the rest. GWS were very good when they had a mature squad, but we are still very average.

Footy is all about structures & procedures, which basically means what the players are doing when they don’t have the ball. We need toget better at this otherwise WC will keep getting us & easily.

Effort will only get you so far, but holding structure is what wins you games & the longer you hold structure, despite being scored against, the more likely you win.

chris_chungus

Draftee
Apr 20, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Celtics, Liverpool
at this point I’m actually hoping he is injured because if he is fully fit. Wowee. We made a big mistake.
He showed good form towards the end of 2019 and start of 2020. He could still be injured as the club rushed him back after a lengthy injury.

kp junior

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
Dog of a game, one of the worst.

A game where you see the disconnect of supporters and players, with the disparity of how much it means to either party.

Three examples of this,

- Kelly, the player we offered (potentially) more money to play for us, but didn't want to, was allowed contact free stoppages and collected 42 disposals.
- Gaff, the player who caved in the mouth of a teenager, the prized jewel in our 'rebuild', was allowed to run around unchecked and collect 35 disposals.
- Kennedy, laid a heavy (fair) bump on a completely vulnerable 19 year old playing his sixth AFL game, who was playing through a dislocated shoulder... and then Kennedy just jogged back to position, smiling and joking with his team mates at three quarter time.

I see this as a supporter, having an adult meltdown on the couch that is so stark to my normal behaviour that even my dog notices. Brennan Cox jogs back to position to stand on his man and then I'm reminded that it's just a job for them.

Nothing is lonelier than knowing that, the least they could do is pretend it's not.

Great post. Adult melt down
The lack of physical contact toward Gaff is pretty staggering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nolo180

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2014
Somewhere in time
AFL Club
Fremantle
The best teams are that way because they are good without ball in hand. They make better/quicker decisions, position themselves better & then have greater opportunity to impact the contest either by receiving the ball or assisting the ball receiver with body protection or creating space for the player with ball to move into.

Richmond are the best, West Coast & Bulldogs are next & then the rest. GWS were very good when they had a mature squad, but we are still very average.

Footy is all about structures & procedures, which basically means what the players are doing when they don’t have the ball. We need toget better at this otherwise WC will keep getting us & easily.

Effort will only get you so far, but holding structure is what wins you games & the longer you hold structure, despite being scored against, the more likely you win.
Well said BDB.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
1620022430131.png

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
To compare Logue to English we would first need to play Logue in another position behind at least two primary focuses of the opposition, since Tim is really an average ruckman and will be until he is stronger but adds his value to the side in being a tertiary target up forward.

So lets play Logue in the midfield. Mundy started on the bench? Let's run our stoppage teams like this:

Team A: Darcy, Serong, Brayshaw, Logue
Team B: Lobb, Fyfe, Mundy, Tucker

With the last of each being the accountable player.

I,'ve been all for Logue to the midfield since he arrived at the club.

Back