Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald - Roo til end '26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this in the training thread in December:
Both Shaw and Lmac are F/S. Both experienced the pressure of playing for the club their dad played for and the pressure that goes with it... I think LMac will have a big year and surprise a few people based on the guidance from Shaw with regard to this - or he’ll encourage him to leave for an interstate club!!!

Right so far on the first prediction, hopefully the 2nd never cones true!

Excellent call.

I posted this in the training thread in December:
Both Shaw and Lmac are F/S. Both experienced the pressure of playing for the club their dad played for and the pressure that goes with it... I think LMac will have a big year and surprise a few people based on the guidance from Shaw with regard to this - or he’ll encourage him to leave for an interstate club!!!

Right so far on the first prediction, hopefully the 2nd never cones true!
Kingstradamus

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I posted this in the At Training thread. Which has very little conversation related to anything to do with anything at actual training - but the that’s besides the point. Anyway...

One of the reasons he gets disproportionately criticised by ‘supporters’, looks to be about decision making & work rate.
His defensive application has been solid. I hope that with the new coaching regime they can get him to be more decisive with ball in hand.

Also - work rate to get to the right places. Too often he gets smothered because he's predictable getting on to his left. When he's fatigued, he gets hemmed in, cutting off angles and inhibiting his ability to get penetration on his kicking. That may also be team cohesion so that structure puts players in places that are best aligned to their attributes.
Otherwise, he has the skills and physical attributes.
Basically, work rate and decision making need to improve and a better understanding of his place in the structure... I reckon in the new regime he can address that and be a really solid defensive half-back and winger, who can hurt on the way out if addressed.
I was pretty bullish on Luke improving this year, posting this in December.
Looks like work rate, decision making and team structure are improving. So is Luke. Attributes were always there to be quality.

Luke going into the mid was brand's idea, he started doing this late 2017....putting him onball.

Luke’s had a few injuries last couple of seasons. Glad to see him getting reward for effort now. Easy to forget as an under 18 player he was vic metro captain in a team that included josh kelly and bont, and wce bid on him at 5 for a reason. This sort of form shouldn’t surprise us and let’s hope it continues. Shaw seems to be getting the best out of him.

Has matured a LOT. Looks to have definitely pulled the finger out after admitting he hasn’t done much in his career to date. Playing top notch footy, great work Two Dogs.

Thought the same thing, the attitude change and Shaw's encouragement were big factors in his turnaround. Finally has decided to step up and become a leader and buying into the club and the team by performing well & earning the comp's respect.

Interesting that he mentioned his girlfriend. I don’t know what his girlfriend status has been like over the years or how serious this one is but Luke strikes me as someone who would play his best footy once he settles down with a girl and starts a family.

Luke has stood up beautifully the last couple of months in the time of extended absences from Ziebell and Cunnington. His next challenge is to maintain this when they're back because if he does he could be anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that he mentioned his girlfriend. I don’t know what his girlfriend status has been like over the years or how serious this one is but Luke strikes me as someone who would play his best footy once he settles down with a girl and starts a family.

He's been swinging hands with this girl for couple of years now.

Luke is 25 years old, should be in his absolute prime. And finally, the penny seems to have dropped for him. Hopefully, he doesn't look back from here.

Thought his earlier games were more influential than his latest one. Adelaide gave Luke very little regard in an non-existent forward line.

The sample size is small but it looks like things are heading in the right direction :thumbsu:

Best player on the list RN

Playing like a true leader
That's over doing it I think.

Just watching that video interview, I noticed that the long kick to Maj was on his right foot.
After years of watching him get caught trying to wheel on to his left, I reckon this speaks volumes about his confidence and understanding of his own game. We’re finally starting to see what his junior years promised.

Finally getting in a footy coach not just a politician has helped LMac significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back