Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald - Roo til end '26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sad that you have to apologise for something like this but someone on here had a go at me for joking that it wasn't good when South Australia got rid of all their coronavirus cases so I guess sooks are everywhere these days.
Criticism has come from Goddard, Kornes and Lyodd.
They’re what’s wrong with media industry today..they’re all fairly vanilla commentators and if they disappeared from the industry tomorrow, I don’t think anyone would miss their special comments.

if you’ve ever spent time with some Irish folk could you imagine the phone call between Connor and McDonald?

Last edited:
So there is a story about us playing St Kilda where Milne lost his mouth guard in a sequence of play.

Brady was playing and picked up the mouth guard and then the St Fiddler players started calling give it back give it back.

So Brady retrieves the mouth guard *from inside his shorts* and throws it back.

Could you imagine the puritanical outcry if a story like that saw the light of day now. The Karen collective would be horrified.

Luke's actions required no explanation or apology and were as much banter as the crow ruckman tweeting NicNat.

I am legitimately disappointed he apologized.

I kind of do get why some people would frown upon what he did, COVID in general is a touchy subject right now, but it really pisses me off to see ex-players and journos leading the charges. I GUARANTEE those ex-players said/did/saw/heard much worse sledging on the field, and most of that would have been much less (seemingly) in the spirit of humor. And I'm pretty sure journalists have bigger stories, both in and out of football, to comment (read: harp on) about than some innocuous banter on a football field.

So there is a story about us playing St Kilda where Milne lost his mouth guard in a sequence of play.

Brady was playing and picked up the mouth guard and then the St Fiddler players started calling give it back give it back.

So Brady retrieves the mouth guard *from inside his shorts* and throws it back.

Could you imagine the puritanical outcry if a story like that saw the light of day now. The Karen collective would be horrified.

Luke's actions required no explanation or apology and were as much banter as the crow ruckman tweeting NicNat.

Once the beat up occurs you have to apologise. Should have never been a story in the first place but the last thing a footy club needs is some of the best financially and physically insulated people in Australia looking like they're being callous to something that is ruining the lives of lots of ordinary Aussies.

As below, I doubt that he apologised when he called - the two of them would have had a chat and a giggle and agreed that the call was only happening because commenting on the AFL is now the domain of overly PC peanuts.

if you’ve ever spent time with some Irish folk could you imagine the phone call between Connor and McDonald?

Once the beat up occurs you have to apologise. Should have never been a story in the first place but the last thing a footy club needs is some of the best financially and physically insulated people in Australia looking like they're being callous to something that is ruining the lives of lots of ordinary Aussies.

I honestly hate the footy media.

It was nothing. Nothing. It wasn't commentary about the social impact of the pandemic. Anymore than Reilly O'Brien calling NicNat lazy and unfit was commentary about the impact of obesity.

We are nearing a point where all colour and character is gone from the game and everyone can sit around and discuss which style of vanilla they dislike least.

I honestly hate the footy media.

It was nothing. Nothing. It wasn't commentary about the social impact of the pandemic. Anymore than Reilly O'Brien calling NicNat lazy and unfit was commentary about the impact of obesity.

We are nearing a point where all colour and character is gone from the game and everyone can sit around and discuss which style of vanilla they dislike least.
I think it was an over reaction too, but I suppose he is mocking a player for having a disease that has killed hundreds of thousands around the world and is still at major risk levels in Victoria and at pandemic levels around the world. From what I can see McKenna and Essendon did not complain but the media will always pick up something like this. Not a good look. He apologised. McKenna accepted. Thats about it.

I don’t like that he apologised either. Whatever happened to our immense rivalry against the bombers?

Bunch of ******* snowflakes. It’s just dumb banter
Would have had no choice. As others said, once the media and talking heads picked up on it you pretty much have to. The alternative is telling them 'yeah, nah, it was all a bit of fun and it's harmless so * off', and then they'll start talking about the club belittling all those who have died about a global pandemic etc :rolleyes:

I don’t like that he apologised either. Whatever happened to our immense rivalry against the bombers?

Bunch of ******* snowflakes. It’s just dumb banter
I think the convo would’ve started along the lines of
Luke: I can’t believe I got ratted out..
Connor: what the fook are you talking about mate?
Luke: I’m calling cos I got ratted out, pretending to have a mask.
Connor: but that was just a bit of craic... I’m bored with all the * shiteheads, you wanta got for a pint??
Luke: Garns and I are already at the pub, meet us there?
Connor: Aiiii thank fook we ainn’t in Melbourne, I’ll catch you lads in five

Would have had no choice. As others said, once the media and talking heads picked up on it you pretty much have to. The alternative is telling them 'yeah, nah, it was all a bit of fun and it's harmless so fu** off', and then they'll start talking about the club belittling all those who have died about a global pandemic etc :rolleyes:

Yeah soon they will ban banter between players because someone will get upset!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must be getting old, but seriously? This whole saga is nonsense. I understand North getting on the front foot and hosing it down, but why on earth has this been news in the first place? Yes, I know, the footy media. God save us.

One of the best 'sledges' I am aware of involved Ray Huppatz when he was playing for us around 1978 and umpire Glenn James. I don't know Ray but Glenn is a top bloke, with a great sense of humour, and for context is indigenous. (I cannot quote either party verbatim, but this is the drift of the interaction.) On the outer wing at Arden Street during a break in play, Huppatz picked up a chicken bone that had been thrown over the fence. He threw it towards the umpire and said something along the lines of "Have this, you are umpiring like a dog." Without batting an eyelid, Glenn retorts, "Behave yourself or I will point it at you!"

Fast forward to 2020...how would that play out with umps miched up and cameras everywhere except the toilet?(as far as we know.)

Oh dear, as if we don't have important things to be concerned about.

I think the convo would’ve started along the lines of
Luke: I can’t believe I got ratted out..
Connor: what the fook are you talking about mate?
Luke: I’m calling cos I got ratted out, pretending to have a mask.
Connor: but that was just a bit of craic... I’m bored with all the * shiteheads, you wanta got for a pint??
Luke: Garns and I are already at the pub, meet us there?
Connor: Aiiii thank fook we ainn’t in Melbourne, I’ll catch you lads in five
Nek Minnit pub is called Crossroads...

I must be getting old, but seriously? This whole saga is nonsense. I understand North getting on the front foot and hosing it down, but why on earth has this been news in the first place? Yes, I know, the footy media. God save us.

One of the best 'sledges' I am aware of involved Ray Huppatz when he was playing for us around 1978 and umpire Glenn James. I don't know Ray but Glenn is a top bloke, with a great sense of humour, and for context is indigenous. (I cannot quote either party verbatim, but this is the drift of the interaction.) On the outer wing at Arden Street during a break in play, Huppatz picked up a chicken bone that had been thrown over the fence. He threw it towards the umpire and said something along the lines of "Have this, you are umpiring like a dog." Without batting an eyelid, Glenn retorts, "Behave yourself or I will point it at you!"

Fast forward to 2020...how would that play out with umps miched up and cameras everywhere except the toilet?(as far as we know.)

Oh dear, as if we don't have important things to be concerned about.

Lol. Agree Glenn James was cool. His brother played for Sandy Bay in the 70s. Looked good in blue and white stripes.

If Dusty doesn't start in the middle we should just let him play as a mid. Tagging Lambert or whoever else isn't worth it.

Famous last words. If Dusty isn't influencing the game through the mid, Luke to go to the next best midfielder (which is Lambert).

Just because they don't have a start studded lineup of midfielders, doesn't mean we should change one of the few things that has been working for us. You shut Lambert down, with Dusty not playing midfield minutes, and we are in really good shape to win this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back