Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald - Roo til end '26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought that McDonald had his best year playing midfield. He's aggressive, can break tackles and his kicking is more effective forward of centre.

He looks more natural playing midfield, isn't that the position his played before playing AFL?

I always thought that McDonald had his best year playing midfield. He's aggressive, can break tackles and his kicking is more effective forward of centre.

He looks more natural playing midfield, isn't that the position his played before playing AFL?

IIRC he played middle at School and back pocket in the nationals.

He went to Scott and asked for this very thing.

If Scott had done it he'd probably still be coach.

The mask thing was funny. Any media about it not being a good look is stupid.

I can recall at least one interview after a game where North was cut up by an elite midfielder, again, where the interviewer asked Scott about his choice not to use a tagger. His response was we didn't have one on the list other than Jacobs and he was unavailable. Stupidity. I have seen posts on BF for at least a year, including my own, saying it is well worth trying LMAc as a midfield tagger. Finally, Shaw gives it a crack and he has two major scalps already and I would think will have a crack at Cotchin this week.

I can recall at least one interview after a game where North was cut up by an elite midfielder, again, where the interviewer asked Scott about his choice not to use a tagger. His response was we didn't have one on the list other than Jacobs and he was unavailable. Stupidity. I have seen posts on BF for at least a year, including my own, saying it is well worth trying LMAc as a midfield tagger. Finally, Shaw gives it a crack and he has two major scalps already and I would think will have a crack at Cotchin this week.
And Jacobs didn't start as a tagger either; it's not a role you recruit for, it's one you mould based on aerobic capacity, concentration and determination

And Jacobs didn't start as a tagger either; it's not a role you recruit for, it's one you mould based on aerobic capacity, concentration and determination

I could be wrong but didn't Jacobs become a tagger under Crocker's short term tenure?

Spot on Merlin. I also have heard Nicky Dal talking about how Jacobs became a tagger. He was playing as chase the ball midfielder when he was called into the coaches' office. He was told that he would never be selected again as an onballer and that the only way he would be selected was as a tagger. He spent one game in the twos came back into the senior side and nailed it, never to be dropped again. For the right guy with the right physical attributes and mentality, it appears it is not a difficult transition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time for an update to the thread title? Luke McDonald - The Mask.
Gotta be CoVid appropriate..
Maximus-wh-in-hood.jpg

Might have improved his tank in the last year or so to now go with the best players?
He was ready to play midfield in 2017. Brad said no and wanted him to become a defender.

Good year and this is a good move. We already have way too many half backs that struggle to generate accurate drive. Lmac is the perfect one to relocate as he has a long way to go in his career. Good utility size as well, I can see him doing some smart work down the track once he completely owns his role - float forward for the odd goal, decent enough size and mark to be useful in transition at times.

Good year and this is a good move. We already have way too many half backs that struggle to generate accurate drive. Lmac is the perfect one to relocate as he has a long way to go in his career. Good utility size as well, I can see him doing some smart work down the track once he completely owns his role - float forward for the odd goal, decent enough size and mark to be useful in transition at times.
Rhyce is rightly under fire for the Campbell selection, but credit where it's due, the change of role for McDonald is a plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back