Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald - Roo til end '26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some time in the VFL might be good for him.
giphy.gif

Dear Orange....are you still under the impression that match committee make sensible, tough decisions?

Even Luke's detractors don't knock his effort - he has a go.

His execution and decision-making are the problem and have been poor for too long.

He certainly can play like an old school backman.

But after the tackle performance last week we can't drop the guy who was equal top of the tackle count. That's just even stupider than not picking Paulie.

Even Luke's detractors don't knock his effort - he has a go.

His execution and decision-making are the problem and have been poor for too long.
Some do question his effort, which annoys me a bit because he usually tries his guts out. But I also get it. He has massive flaws and it would be easy to dismiss the good, especially given that smile/grimace he gives which leaves some to believe he's taking the mickey.

This is the AFL.....effort is the very least thing you should be getting from everyone.

And yet a lot of blokes don't run hard enough, avoid contact, or aren't willing to fill the hole when it's their turn.

The effort Lmac is willing to put into his offensive and defensive game is an admirable trait that I wish more players had. Just like I wish he had Higgins skills and Polec's coolness under pressure.

FYI I'm not happy with him as a player atm and have no issues with him going down a level to the VFL.

Also led our tackle count against Brisbane.

Not singling Luke out as his committment on field is not in question, but is a tackle counted if your opponent still get an effective disposal away? We seem to judge tackling as the be all and end all of defence. There’s also guarding space, ensuring your opponent can’t get onto his dominant side, positioning at stoppages etc...

Not singling Luke out as his committment on field is not in question, but is a tackle counted if your opponent still get an effective disposal away? We seem to judge tackling as the be all and end all of defence. There’s also guarding space, ensuring your opponent can’t get onto his dominant side, positioning at stoppages etc...

Its not whether he stops the opponent, its simply that there's * all other players showing the intent that's needed.

Right now there is a thread on the front page about our first game three years ago where we had double the tackles that we had against Brisbane. I think dropping him is a bad idea. Especially after losing Marley Williams.

LUkes disposal is an issue, but there's probably no one better to replace him.

Murphy is a better kick, sure, but he's not as defensively capable as Luke.

Last edited:
Not really an issue for mine, but that’s coming from a low expectation base. He and Pittard try hard and defend well but we ain’t climbing the ladder with disposal like theirs going forward. What ever elite foot skills McDonald had are gone. His first kick in footy may have had a Jack Watts first game like effect in his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LUkes disposal is an issue, but there's probably no one better to replace him.

Murphy is a better kick, sur, but he's not as defensively capable as Luke.
Won't be too long though Snake. Lukes practice swing after that brisbane bloke had already marked the ball in the last quarter was caddyshackesque.

Won't be too long though Snake. Lukes practice swing after that brisbane bloke had already marked the ball in the last quarter was caddyshackesque.

Would've been perfect if he then jumped around pumping his fists calling "It's in the hole! It's in the hole!"

Defensively, he has been gone.

I can't take anyone seriously who can't acknowledge that.

Defensively, he has been gone.

I can't take anyone seriously who can't acknowledge that.
Yeah well, a bloke on the improve with better distribution is certainly worth acknowledging. Lukes fresh air swing was far from good defending.

Yeah well, a bloke on the improve with better distribution is certainly worth acknowledging. Lukes fresh air swing was far from good defending.

You can acknowledge Murphy all you like, but Walters would have kicked 8 on him.

Who got away from Luke from the Brisbane match?

I would have thought Murphy or Wright (if ready) for Marley was obvious. And until someone else will run back into packs and take excellent defensive marks the LMac has to stay. In the first half against Brisbane when we were defensively sound his efforts were excellent and kept us in the lead and incontrol on multiple ocasions. Till there is someone who can do that better we need to keep him.

He managed to kick a ball last week that actually floated 40m. It did not spin even 1x rotation. It was amazing.

This is the thing. He's applying himself well...............but the kicking and decision making, Jesus H Christ!

It has to be mental too, as I know he can freakin' kick!

You can acknowledge Murphy all you like, but Walters would have kicked 8 on him.

Who got away from Luke from the Brisbane match?

If you look at the afl match feed on the official site in Q4 at 18:48 It says this:

"Lincoln McCarthy gets Brisbane's second goal in a minute to put them back in front. After kicking a game high four goals against the Eagles last week he has been well held by Luke McDonald who has allowed him to win just four disposals from 40 minutes of time matched up against him."

That was after MW's injury and our backline structure failing in the fourth.

Just to make it clear to everyone else - that previous 40 minutes was the time Brisbane got back on top and in that time their most dangerous goal scorer from the previous week against the premiers was held to four disposals by LMac.

This is the thing. He's applying himself well...............but the kicking and decision making, Jesus H Christ!

It has to be mental too, as I know he can freakin' kick!

Gets blood rushes like our captain and just kicks the s**t out of it with one of his default (awful) kicking actions/ball drops. When he stays calm and shapes a kick he's pretty bloody good. Was expecting an increased fitness base to directly influence his efficiency by enabling him to be physically under less duress and thus mentally sharper. Alas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back