Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald - Roo til end '26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luke scored 93 votes in 13 games in the Syd Barker.

Extrapolate that to 22 games and he'd on 157 games which would've had him in 11th, 1 vote behind Atley.

Would be an ok result but hopefully he can go higher in a successful North Melbourne side in 2020.

Thanks KC. I came here to ask exactly that question (how’d he poll in the games he played). Pretty respectable. Think the bagging he’s getting is way over the top.

Luke scored 93 votes in 13 games in the Syd Barker.

Extrapolate that to 22 games and he'd on 157 games which would've had him in 11th, 1 vote behind Atley.

Would be an ok result but hopefully he can go higher in a successful North Melbourne side in 2020.
Where does he finish if you extrapolate every player's season?

Just watch him position himself live at a game.

The amount of times he gets into no mans land and lets his player burn him makes me incredulous.

He’s a classic ball watcher
he cops a lot of criticism but this is going over board. The reason he gets out of position is because he’s stuck in no mans land covering two or three players, that’s a result of our s**t game plan. not LMac ball watching.

Luke was clearly one of the most talented juniors from his crop. Can’t help but think playing him in a lock down defender role for what ever reason has been a waste of talent. he was tracking really well early in his career to be a top midfielder, breaking tackles at will. I really hope Shaw and the rest of the coaching squad can get the best out of him

I posted this in the At Training thread. Which has very little conversation related to anything to do with anything at actual training - but the that’s besides the point. Anyway...

One of the reasons he gets disproportionately criticised by ‘supporters’, looks to be about decision making & work rate.
His defensive application has been solid. I hope that with the new coaching regime they can get him to be more decisive with ball in hand.

Also - work rate to get to the right places. Too often he gets smothered because he's predictable getting on to his left. When he's fatigued, he gets hemmed in, cutting off angles and inhibiting his ability to get penetration on his kicking. That may also be team cohesion so that structure puts players in places that are best aligned to their attributes.
Otherwise, he has the skills and physical attributes.
Basically, work rate and decision making need to improve and a better understanding of his place in the structure... I reckon in the new regime he can address that and be a really solid defensive half-back and winger, who can hurt on the way out if addressed.

I posted this in the At Training thread. Which has very little conversation related to anything to do with anything at actual training - but the that’s besides the point. Anyway...

One of the reasons he gets disproportionately criticised by ‘supporters’, looks to be about decision making & work rate.
His defensive application has been solid. I hope that with the new coaching regime they can get him to be more decisive with ball in hand.

Also - work rate to get to the right places. Too often he gets smothered because he's predictable getting on to his left. When he's fatigued, he gets hemmed in, cutting off angles and inhibiting his ability to get penetration on his kicking. That may also be team cohesion so that structure puts players in places that are best aligned to their attributes.
Otherwise, he has the skills and physical attributes.
Basically, work rate and decision making need to improve and a better understanding of his place in the structure... I reckon in the new regime he can address that and be a really solid defensive half-back and winger, who can hurt on the way out if addressed.

This correlates nicely with my view that our flankers & pockets have suffered badly from a leaking midfield.

As I have posted for years now, when the mids are on top, lightning rods like McDonald, Turner & MacMillan look like completely different footballers. Conversely, when the midfield is leaking like a sieve, these are usually the players that attract the most pressure. The wash up of all of this is that they are usually NOT the source of the problem, they are the outcome.

You can basically utilize the criticisms of these players to work out the posters who have a myopic understanding of football.

The knocks on Luke are usually a result of what is going on further up the ground.

This correlates nicely with my view that our flankers & pockets have suffered badly from a leaking midfield.

As I have posted for years now, when the mids are on top, lightning rods like McDonald, Turner & MacMillan look like completely different footballers. Conversely, when the midfield is leaking like a sieve, these are usually the players that attract the most pressure. The wash up of all of this is that they are usually NOT the source of the problem, they are the outcome.

You can basically utilize the criticisms of these players to work out the posters who have a myopic understanding of football.

The knocks on Luke are usually a result of what is going on further up the ground.

Similar to the knocks on JMac (with the exception of his one on one tackling when he's in front of the ball carrier.)

Last edited:
Thought I'd reply in LMac's thread.

Kudos for acknowledging you're not especially a fan and that he does, indeed, 'come across as a jumped up twat' (well put!) whilst still defending him.

Personally, I do think the F/S, BFNAAK, high draft pick does mean he's probably judged more harshly BUT from my point of view, I don't see the elite traits in any one area of his game and/or see what role he really 'owns'. He can be a decent close checking defender - which I think is his best quality - but he doesn't seem to be in that elite category, defensively and certainly not offensively. Indeed, offensively, he's a bit of a one-trick pony, namely wheeling onto the left, only, and roosting it. At best, he's a 'meat and potatos' defender, though I ask 'Can we do better?'

The calls for him to be in the middle seem to be based on one good game tagging Sloane in Hobart. Does he have the inside nous or the outside evasiveness and skill? Can he work hard both ways?

I reckon he might have gone okay under Pagan and the 90s game plan, being at the bottom of packs, like Stevo, and roosting it into the F50, like Simmo.

All that said and done, like everyone here, we only want the best for NMFC and if that means he either fulfils a vital role under the new game plan, or takes his game to a new level under Shaw, and because he's approaching an age where he could begin to mature, mentally, then great! For now, however, I remain dubious.

I think him wearing the no 11 and people thinking he doesn't live up to it also adds to the negativity.

I think he's better than you give him credit for, eg he's capable of being a great contested "outside mid" (if that makes sense, given "Outside' usually means outside the contest.) I remember him working well in traffic in 2017, shrugging tackles and running out of them the way Higgo does and not doing wheel onto his left thing.

One thing is that after all the off field changes i'm prepared to sit back and watch what happens next. All my previous assumptions about how players play aren't gonna apply for a while, possibly ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think him wearing the no 11 and people thinking he doesn't live up to it also adds to the negativity.

I think he's better than you give him credit for, eg he's capable of being a great contested "outside mid" (if that makes sense, given "Outside' usually means outside the contest.) I remember him working well in traffic in 2017, shrugging tackles and running out of them the way Higgo does and not doing wheel onto his left thing.

One thing is that after all the off field changes i'm prepared to sit back and watch what happens next. All my previous assumptions about how players play aren't gonna apply for a while, possibly ever.
We agree on the ‘wait and see’ at least.

I love his endeavour and he's tough, but his blind bombing like it's still under 11's really gives me the shits.

With a better set up forward of the ball, long kicks won’t be an issue.

I’d rather our blokes smash it 60m than * up kicking it 25m.

With a better set up forward of the ball, long kicks won’t be an issue.

I’d rather our blokes smash it 60m than fu** up kicking it 25m.

That is fine and agree as at least out of "danger".

However far too often he doesn't take the right option - it is more noticable in person than on TV. His Captain is even worse.

Lets see how it goes then under Shaw, hopefully some of our players kicking can become a strength not a liability.

However far too often he doesn't take the right option - it is more noticable in person than on TV. His Captain is even worse.

Lets see how it goes then under Shaw, hopefully some of our players kicking can become a strength not a liability.

I’m more inclined to believe that the failings of the previous coach exacerbated the weaknesses of the side and certain players in particular.

I’m optimistic about what Shaw can get out of this side.

I’m more inclined to believe that the failings of the previous coach exacerbated the weaknesses of the side and certain players in particular.

I’m optimistic about what Shaw can get out of this side.

Agree with this TPA.

I reckon we will know a lot more about quite a few players by Round 6 - possibly earlier.

Given what we now know about the previous regimes approach to skills/training/prep I think we can cut a few players some slack. Better training, better strategy, better selection policies should all help players on our list.

Shaw has instilled a real buzz around the place and things are looking positive.

Of course we need to actually beat opposition sides before we get too carried away but the intent/the prep is all headed in the right direction and it is reasonable to expect that individual players will improve in this environment.

It could be he (and jack for that matter) just wasn't coached properly.

His decision making and disposal need to be cleaned up for him to have a meaningful impact on a game. We also realise this and Shaw is probably the ideal coach for Luke.

I think that could have applied to the whole team under Brad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back