Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald - Roo til end '26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar to the knocks on JMac (with the exception of his one on one tackling when he's in front of the ball carrier.)

Jamie's greatest value by far is when he is allowed to play as an attacking half back.

I love his endeavour and he's tough, but his blind bombing like it's still under 11's really gives me the shits.
He is genuinely tough.He deserves credit for that. What hurts him is his lack of leg speed. Some players can get away with it because they have other tricks. Maybe he's one of those guys who's destined to be a gun VFL player who struggles with the pace of the game at the highest level. There's been heaps of blokes like that.

He is genuinely tough.He deserves credit for that. What hurts him is his lack of leg speed. Some players can get away with it because they have other tricks. Maybe he's one of those guys who's destined to be a gun VFL player who struggles with the pace of the game at the highest level. There's been heaps of blokes like that.

He ran down Cyril Rioli who is quicker than most.

He’d automatically be half a yard quicker atleast if he fixed his running style. Head everywhere it’s a shambles from a mechanics point of view

Yeah his technique is a bit chaotic and all over the place.

(Watching the vid it was probably a 10m start too.)

Bit of a tree falling in the forest situation there. If you're only fast enough to chase down Cyril by pushing yourself to the point that your legs tear apart are you really fast enough to chase down Cyril? I think that effort says more about his desperation than speed.

I don't think he's a good enough of a contested ball player to be a midfielder but he could be a good halfback for us if he can add a string to his bow that all good modern halfbacks have. That means he either needs to get involved in more link-up play and find the space to use his elite kicking like Hurn does or he needs to show more with his intercept marking.

I think as a medium defender at the moment he is struggling to find a point of difference. Marley's speed and superior 1 v 1 defending means he's above Luke. Pittard went past him so fast it wasn't funny plus he has an aerial ability that well outstrips LMac. Macmillan is more a natural link up player, even though he was getting himself into trouble by burning the footy this year. The return of Daw and a potential Ahern emergence puts heaps of pressure on him. Sink or swim in 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of a tree falling in the forest situation there. If you're only fast enough to chase down Cyril by pushing yourself to the point that your legs tear apart are you really fast enough to chase down Cyril? I think that effort says more about his desperation than speed.

I don't think he's a good enough of a contested ball player to be a midfielder but he could be a good halfback for us if he can add a string to his bow that all good modern halfbacks have. That means he either needs to get involved in more link-up play and find the space to use his elite kicking like Hurn does or he needs to show more with his intercept marking.

I think as a medium defender at the moment he is struggling to find a point of difference. Marley's speed and superior 1 v 1 defending means he's above Luke. Pittard went past him so fast it wasn't funny plus he has an aerial ability that well outstrips LMac. Macmillan is more a natural link up player, even though he was getting himself into trouble by burning the footy this year. The return of Daw and a potential Ahern emergence puts heaps of pressure on him. Sink or swim in 2020.

Pretty much exactly what you want if you have finals aspirations.

I don't think LMac is as quick as being claimed.

He isn't slow sure but quick is a massive stretch.
Was only a few metres behind the winner in the final of the Grand Final sprint a few years ago. And has been our nominee at least twice so he must go OK.

Gawd is that the footage from the Horror Hobart Game this year?

If there was ever a nail in the coffin it was that pathetic effort.
Loved that you giffed this at the time gr

So symbolic of what was about to happen days later.
I mean the score board, the time of the game, what had happened leading up - and it all blew up in our faces.

To think if he listened. Sliding doors moment for our club.

Loved that you giffed this at the time gr

So symbolic of what was about to happen days later.
I mean the score board, the time of the game, what had happened leading up - and it all blew up in our faces.

To think if he listened. Sliding doors moment for our club.

I remember in that first quarter watching them live that they weren’t playing for him...lethargic, selfish and flat footed. Anyway let’s not go back there, too painful 😖

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back