Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald - Roo til end '26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm prepared to conclude he doesn't have elite pace, but he's not slow either.

So what? Tom Mitchell isn't that quick, and neither is Martyn.

What they do have is the freedom to be completely offensive footballers, which is really what suits Luke best. Unfortunately we haven't had the combined midfield running power to allow him to play that role..................yet.

Symbiosis Gaso, people will learn this word.

Mitchell is allowed to play that role because is one of the best runners in the competition. He isn’t just an offensive player either he does a mountain of defensive running and tackling.

Mitchell improved his running capacity through his hard work, professionalism and training standards.

Luke doesn’t have the running capacity to play that type of midfield role.

Mitchell is allowed to play that role because is one of the best runners in the competition. He isn’t just an offensive player either he does a mountain of defensive running and tackling.

Mitchell improved his running capacity through his hard work, professionalism and training standards.

Luke doesn’t have the running capacity to play that type of midfield role.

Mitchell predominately plays at the coal face because he is best suited as an extractor, and because Hawthorns ball efficiency and midfield spread capacity rarely has him backtracking.

Martyns real asset is strength relative to size and pace. The same thing goes for G. Ablett.

Martyn is also facilitated by a side with powerful running numbers in the fat part of the field.

To an extent he fits this category pre 2018; but there was an individualism that crept into his game last year and it was best exemplified with the body language he displayed. At times, he appeared to over exaggerate his effort when he was losing the control of the ball/player. It’s something I have noticed across his career and when we as spectators only have our eyes and tv replays to make a perception, body language on a sporting field is something that all athletes/competitors need to be conscious of; do others see it or am I incorrect?

To an extent he fits this category pre 2018; but there was an individualism that crept into his game last year and it was best exemplified with the body language he displayed. At times, he appeared to over exaggerate his effort when he was losing the control of the ball/player. It’s something I have noticed across his career and when we as spectators only have our eyes and tv replays to make a perception, body language on a sporting field is something that all athletes/competitors need to be conscious of; do others see it or am I incorrect?

..........or maybe he was just buggered.

..........or maybe he was just buggered.

Yeh and that’s the fine line with him I think...he looks more exhausted than others so it comes back to what is his stamina, can he improve upon it?

Maybe he just is the current version of Laconic Lachie

I'm prepared to conclude he doesn't have elite pace, but he's not slow either.

So what? Tom Mitchell isn't that quick, and neither is Martyn.

What they do have is the freedom to be completely offensive footballers, which is really what suits Luke best. Unfortunately we haven't had the combined midfield running power to allow him to play that role..................yet.

Symbiosis Gaso, people will learn this word.

Has he ever played as an offensive footballer?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe try him as a small forward/crumber in the future?

If he can actually make a impact on games through the score board which may excel his confidence and drive
The ole mullet rationale: "If he has a long kick and bangs them in from HBF imagine how many goals he'd kick as a forward" :drunk:

Forwards need to react quickly. I've seen a double-decker bus complete a 3-point turn before LMac gets the ball onto his boot. I'm not even joking...it's as though he needs to manually wind up his hamstring to unleash the power required to kick.

GCySBAN.gif

The ole mullet rationale: "If he has a long kick and bangs them in from HBF imagine how many goals he'd kick as a forward" :drunk:

Forwards need to react quickly. I've seen a double-decker bus complete a 3-point turn before LMac gets the ball onto his boot. I'm not even joking...it's as though he needs to manually wind up his hamstring to unleash the power required to kick.

GCySBAN.gif

I struggle to see where he fits. I know he loves playing in the midfield but we have that covered

We never thought putting Daw in the back-line would work but it was a masterstroke

I think we'll see some ruthless selections this year. Hopefully Luke will be bright enough to be aware of that !
His spot is no longer guaranteed. Hopefully that will galvanise him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back