Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald - Roo til end '26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heeney?

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

JMac beat Heney in the last pre season game. Was all over him. Seems an obvious choice, but Shaw seems a considered coach who isn't afraid to try things. Can imagine Heeney pumped to get something back over JMac only to find Luke lining up on him.

A lot of positively for Rhyce or a backhanded slap to the previous.
I think Rhyces work with the backline has been nothing short of a miracle.
There’s been no silly turnovers, no rushed kicks, no uncertainty with the ball, etc

Unrecognizable poise

I think Rhyces work with the backline has been nothing short of a miracle.
There’s been no silly turnovers, no rushed kicks, no uncertainty with the ball, etc

Unrecognizable poise

They hold their structure and don't all bolt forward, so it actually makes life easier for them.

Re-watched that Round 1 ‘inside the rooms’ video where Rhyce mentioned how Luke had a slow start to the preseason but worked and worked until he was an automatic selection for Rhyce to put on the board. Now months later after destroying Toby Greene he seems to be absolutely flying and is probably the most confident in his role that we’ve seen him. But the big thing is that he is trusted by the coaches. One knock on Luke in the past is that he couldn’t be trusted from week to week - I hope our bald messiah has changed that for good. The signs are promising.

Add to that the increased fitness of the whole team which allows the mids to push back into defence to take the load off the backs.

Correct.

This is the thing, the mids are now being better two way players.

It's almost as if a gameplan and ethos that tries to exploit your strengths and minimize your weaknesses, on both an individual and group level, is especially effective at allowing players to get the best out of themselves.

Luke being fitter and playing a much more one one one style means he's able to smother his opponent more. His team mates being fitter and more responsible for their matchup's means it's harder for the other team to get the ball to Luke's opponent's advantage as easily, which means luke has even more of an edge.

I've possibly harped on about the deficiencies of Scott's coaching too much by now, but I'm not at all surprised that the current regime's approach is benefiting Silver immensely. He's a really effective one on one player, and it was ugly watching him play his opponent loosely for the sake of structures. Personally I'm excited to see what happens if he maintains his defensive form for a half season and gets some real confidence, his offensive weaponry has been on the blink for years and you can't help but wonder what still might be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He went up and down and all over media street after his job on Greene and I’m not wondering whether Toby was playing injured now.

5 clangers in the match is terrible and he should never have been given the role on Papley, who rightly tore him to shreds. Wasn’t the matchup that suited.

Just a case of one step forward and two steps back.

He went up and down and all over media street after his job on Greene and I’m not wondering whether Toby was playing injured now.

5 clangers in the match is terrible and he should never have been given the role on Papley, who rightly tore him to shreds. Wasn’t the matchup that suited.

Does he get Breust or Wingard this week?

He’s an incredibly average footballer. At least he made the most of his week in media street. SEN and 3AW will never make that call again.

Papley is a horrendous matchup for Luke - too fast, too skilled, too crafty.

I’m convinced he can lock someone down for us each week, but it has to be a realistic task he’s given.

Thankfully there aren’t many of Papley’s ilk going around at the moment and the ones that are should be earmarked for Marley Williams every time.

I agree! Papley is a very good footballer, and keeping him to a couple and only a few effective touches is a good result. Good players sometimes play well, Papley was ok but not great and Luke is the reason why.
Yeah I don't get the angst about Luke's game either. He battled hard against a really good player. Unless he keeps his opponent touch less he's seen to have been no good.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back