Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald - Roo til end '26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Luke McDonald-Future Father Son

I'm wondering how close he'd go to being #1 in 2013.
I'm wondering what type of player he will end up being. He is 16 now and stands at 187cm, is not overly quick, can play CHF and midfield. You would think he will probably add another two inches or so, so get to 6'4 or 193-194 cm's, which would be good for a CHF. Can kick like a mule and is a smart player by all accounts.

I guess we'll get a better indication of his ability if he gets to play at the U/18 carnival as an under age player next year.

Vic Metro 12.6 (78) d Vic Country 9.11 (65)

Goals
Vic Metro:
Boyd 2, Franetic 2, Christensen 2, Billings, Kennedy-Harris, Conlon, McDonald, Greiser, Bewley. Vic Country: Willsmore 3, McCartney 2, Thomas, Sharp, Taylor, Gardiner.

Best
Vic Metro:
Considine, Howes, Billings, Kelly, Boyd, McDonald, Cooke, Franetic Vic Country: Tsitas, Heppell, Gardiner, Taylor, Channing, Willsmore.

From what I heard at the ground, Luke was awarded the Metro MVP, not al games completed, but will be a shoe in for AA, whch almost certainly means an AIS scholarship.

I'm wondering what type of player he will end up being. He is 16 now and stands at 187cm, is not overly quick, can play CHF and midfield. You would think he will probably add another two inches or so, so get to 6'4 or 193-194 cm's, which would be good for a CHF. Can kick like a mule and is a smart player by all accounts.

I guess we'll get a better indication of his ability if he gets to play at the U/18 carnival as an under age player next year.

That's not entirely true. He represents Trinity in 100m, 100m relay, 200m and triple jump at AGSV level.

He's currently the AGSV triple jump and 100m relay champ.

That's not entirely true. He represents Trinity in 100m, 100m relay at AGSV level.
****. Good stuff then.

Have you seen him play much Pykie?

Anyone got anecdotal observations on how many top u16s in the championships kick on to bigger things?

From what I can tell, just reading about drafts, there seems to be a fairly high rate of top U16 kids progressing to high draft picks. Which is interesting when compared to other sports. In soccer for example, U17 level means absolutely nothing when it comes to identifying future stars.

He's looming as a CHF/CHB if he gets to 193-194 cm.

The next Carey.

That's not entirely true. He represents Trinity in 100m, 100m relay, 200m and triple jump at AGSV level.

He's currently the AGSV triple jump and 100m relay champ.

So no vertical leap? Get rid of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know that Essendon have set up an academy for their potential father sons. Any chance of us doing something similar?

I know that Essendon have set up an academy for their potential father sons. Any chance of us doing something similar?

I thought we already did, hence why Fairley was reported as spending one day a week at Arden Street.

I mean an academy that fosters all the boys, from when they're 13 or 14, not just kids who show something. Runs over the whole year, especialy school holidays etc. Father/son is the only leg up that clubs have over other sides, and if you look at Geelong and Collingwood, it certainly can give you that extra edge.

Two Dogs got a mention in an article on the AFL site talking about the weekends games...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/120582/default.aspx

Tyson enhances top-10 draft hopes

...[CONT]...

A scout from GWS was spotted in the crowd and he would have been pleased with what he saw from Tomas Bugg, who the club has already signed as part of its 17-year-old allocation.

The quick-handed left footer was instrumental in APS' win with 25 possessions and two goals.

North Melbourne and Melbourne also had a stake in the game with future father-son picks Luke McDonald, son of North footy manager Donald, and Jack Viney, son of caretaker Demons' coach Todd, playing for AGS and APS respectively.

Viney's exploits at the national championships already have Melbourne fans excited, but McDonald, who the Roos are yet to commit to selecting, finished with 20 possessions, seven tackles and a goal in a performance sure to please North supporters.

Both clubs will need to be patient, however, with Viney not eligible to be drafted until 2012 and McDonald 2013.

Two Dogs got a mention in an article on the AFL site talking about the weekends games...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/120582/default.aspx

North Melbourne and Melbourne also had a stake in the game with future father-son picks Luke McDonald, son of North footy manager Donald, and Jack Viney, son of caretaker Demons' coach Todd, playing for AGS and APS respectively.

Viney's exploits at the national championships already have Melbourne fans excited, but McDonald, who the Roos are yet to commit to selecting, finished with 20 possessions, seven tackles and a goal in a performance sure to please North supporters.

Not bad for a guy who's realistically a Year 10.

This game is essentially a rep TAC Cup game, the best of the best, it's a pretty good indicator.

I remember seeing Michael Barlow absolutely tear Xavier Ellis a new one in this game, about 6 years ago, he had 45 odd touches and kicked 3 goals, at the time Ellis was being touted as close to the #1 pick and Barlow was snubbed by all the TAC Cup sides......

Don't be surprised to see Luke around the club alot more in the next 18 months, as he is a year ahead of his schooling, with GWS's 17 year old window next year as well....... the club will most likely commit to him sometime next year.

His last year of TAC Cup will be high-school-free, the club would be crazy not to have him down the club for at least one day a week.

So he's in year 10, playing in the APS vs AGS rep game against blokes two years older than him, including some top rated draftees for this year and Vic Metro reps, and racked up 20 touches, 7 tackles and a goal? Christ, that's seriously impressive.

He's in year 11 I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back