Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald - Roo til end '26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Is Luke more effective as a tagger playing in the guts or as a half-back flanker?

Or can he rotate between both?
Rotating between both he could probably do but we are straining him as is. Unless we move him from HBF to onballer for the rest of the game as a 'steady the ship' measure, he stays at HBF in elite form.

Besides, it's not about Luke doing both roles, it's about his teammates playing to a standard so he can just cover one role.

I think the media have already given that to Maynard. He's having a similar year to Luke only not in a North Melbourne jumper. If Luke keeps up this form for a couple more years he might be considered as "almost in AA contention".

Maynard is having an outstanding year and IS the best HBF at the moment.

Maynard is having an outstanding year and IS the best HBF at the moment.

Luke would also be behind Lloyd, but he's bridging the gap quickly.

Note, I stated "contention" IF he continues along the current patch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luke has averaged 28 disposals over the past 5 games since the Adelaide 'breakout' game. In his first 8 games of the season, he averaged just 14 disposals. He has doubled his output to a level where he would be equal with Lachie Neale for the second highest average disposals in the game. Does anyone have any insight on how he has just turned it around in such dramatic fashion? Even more dramatic seeing that it's essentially been 2.5 years of stagnating and even regressing play. Love what I'm seeing now and really hope he can maintain this level.

Luke has averaged 28 disposals over the past 5 games since the Adelaide 'breakout' game. In his first 8 games of the season, he averaged just 14 disposals. He has doubled his output to a level where he would be equal with Lachie Neale for the second highest average disposals in the game. Does anyone have any insight on how he has just turned it around in such dramatic fashion? Even more dramatic seeing that it's essentially been 2.5 years of stagnating and even regressing play. Love what I'm seeing now and really hope he can maintain this level.

well he had a role change which explains the disposal numbers. he was playing just as well if not better before that but without the flashy numbers.

He may end up being a bargain pick? .. he captained vic metro, (i believe) definitely made of the right stuff
Hmm, it's hard to imagine any top 10 pick as a "bargain", though there are plenty at the bottom end of the top 10 who end up as solid rather than stars. At midseason when he seemed to have basically got his act together I would have said that's great and positive but we've still spent pick 8 on a defensive role player - a flanker/tagger.

Now if he's able to keep his current run of form going consistently, there's no way you'd begrudge pick 8. If he continues as an A-grade defender/distributor off half back it's a really important piece of the defensive rebuild sorted, in the age group where the list is struggling the most. Regardless, we paid full freight with the bid for him, thanks to the idiotic previous bidding system.

Finally the L in Lmac stands for Leven [ 11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back