Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald - Roo til end '26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Famous last words. If Dusty isn't influencing the game through the mid, Luke to go to the next best midfielder (which is Lambert).

Just because they don't have a start studded lineup of midfielders, doesn't mean we should change one of the few things that has been working for us. You shut Lambert down, with Dusty not playing midfield minutes, and we are in really good shape to win this game.
I don't think you can say Luke tagging has been working for us if we're losing games. It's a team sport and playing a tagger has only made our form worse if we're being objective.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Would it be fair to point out that the most talk about LMac’s Maskgate has been in this thread? Have we completely lost the ability to ignore some things?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It was a minor scandal created by ex players and media that was nailed on the head quickly and disappeared. Not sure what you're trying to point out.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't think you can say Luke tagging has been working for us if we're losing games. It's a team sport and playing a tagger has only made our form worse if we're being objective.

Mate, we should be taking every little victory we can. Silver's tagging hasn't been the difference between a win and a loss, but he's had a noticeable influence on the opposition's best while also looking an improved offensive player himself. Maybe you could argue that if instead of moving him to being a defensive mid we could have done X, Y, Z instead and that might have had a better overall outcome, but I don't think that changes the fact that (in isolation, if you need to consider it that way) Luke has been in ripping form and having a positive impact on games since the move.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Then surely it follows that you were wrong to say that Luke tagging hasn't been working?
I'm not saying it hasn't been working. I'm not saying it's working either. He's executed his role perfectly and it hasn't changed our form at all. It's not like he's learning on the job either. He was killing it from the first bounce against the Bulldogs. He's a defender so tagging comes naturally to him. Lambert isn't Bont or Shiel. There's no Tiger mid that I'd say is the key to victory so there's nothing to lose throwing him on ball. Psicosis's question is dumb. Thank you!

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm not saying it hasn't been working. I'm not saying it's working either. He's executed his role perfectly and it hasn't changed our form at all. It's not like he's learning on the job either. He was killing it from the first bounce against the Bulldogs. He's a defender so tagging comes naturally to him. Lambert isn't Bont or Shiel. There's no Tiger mid that I'd say is the key to victory so there's nothing to lose throwing him on ball. Psicosis's question is dumb. Thank you!
I’m with you he needs to play in the middle, the next evolution to his game is start defending stoppages, not just a player. Once that happens we’ve got our new Jacobs.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m with you he needs to play in the middle, the next evolution to his game is start defending stoppages, not just a player. Once that happens we’ve got our new Jacobs.
Yep, eventually Jacobs was directing entire midfield defense. McDonald playing something like the old ruck-rover role blocking and tackling to make SPACE for our creative players would be good to see.

Yep, eventually Jacobs was directing entire midfield defense. McDonald playing something like the old ruck-rover role blocking and tackling to make SPACE for our creative players would be good to see.

This is what LMac is doing. His work in the clinches has been selfless. Putting together an excellent year.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tag Dusty.

Yep. They’re not going that well and Dusty being down on form has a lot to do with it.

If Dusty doesn't start in the middle we should just let him play as a mid. Tagging Lambert or whoever else isn't worth it.

If he tags Dusty he’ll follow him midfield or forward like he did with Greene.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
latest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back