Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald - Roo til end '26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Your right, who cares if the club fu**s up during the draft. It’s not like we are putting all our eggs in one basket this off-season, oh wait.
Putting aside your irrational dislike of Silver, the recruiting team (and the football department at large) responsible for that draft are well and truly a thing of the past.

Your right, who cares if the club fu**s up during the draft. It’s not like we are putting all our eggs in one basket this off-season, oh wait.

Do you think we fu**ed up taking LDU at 4? Cunnington at 5? Or Jy at 12?

Swings and roundabouts, mate. But the negative posters will always bitch and moan about something and it's a bit pathetic.

Dec 18, 2014
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Pierce & Pierce, Stratton Oakmont
Putting aside your irrational dislike of Silver, the recruiting team (and the football department at large) responsible for that draft are well and truly a thing of the past.
Well considering our last administration left us in this mess, and the previous one left us in that mess, I can’t say I’m overly optimistic. I’m hopeful but that’s about it. In regards to “Silver” who I assume though mean McDonald. How is it irrational to dislike a player who has been s**t for the past few years? Ask any North supporter who went to games in the past 5 years, and tell me that Luke McDonald didn’t drive them up a wall. The whole draft fiasco is just the icing on the cake to make him a whipping boy. Yeah, good for him that’s he finally showing some level of consistent footy, however that doesn’t mean I’m just ignore the last 5 years in particular.

Dec 18, 2014
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Do you think we fu**ed up taking LDU at 4? Cunnington at 5? Or Jy at 12?

Swings and roundabouts, mate. But the negative posters will always b*tch and moan about something and it's a bit pathetic.
Or Hansen over Selwood, Liam Anthony over Rory Sloane and Michael Walters. You can play this game all day. Sorry that you have to conflate reality with “Bitching and moaning”, but until this club actually accomplishes something this century, other than getting trounced in Preliminary finals, you’re gonna see more of this s**t. I’m gonna assume that you were around for a few flags, in which if that’s the case, you’ve had the memories of this team being successful, some of us on here weren’t around to watch generational talents play every week.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well considering our last administration left us in this mess, and the previous one left us in that mess, I can’t say I’m overly optimistic. I’m hopeful but that’s about it. In regards to “Silver” who I assume though mean McDonald. How is it irrational to dislike a player who has been sh*t for the past few years? Ask any North supporter who went to games in the past 5 years, and tell me that Luke McDonald didn’t drive them up a wall. The whole draft fiasco is just the icing on the cake to make him a whipping boy. Yeah, good for him that’s he finally showing some level of consistent footy, however that doesn’t mean I’m just ignore the last 5 years in particular.

In a business context what you are doing is known as a "sunk cost fallacy". Yes he cost us a top 10 draft pick and yes he has played some ordinary football in the past but nothing the administration or Luke himself does now can change that history. All he and they can do is influence what he does now and into the future. He is without question one of the few guys in our team who has backed up and had a real crack every week this year and is young enough to be a strong member of our best 22 for another 7 or 8 years.

Or Hansen over Selwood, Liam Anthony over Rory Sloane and Michael Walters. You can play this game all day. Sorry that you have to conflate reality with “Bitching and moaning”, but until this club actually accomplishes something this century, other than getting trounced in Preliminary finals, you’re gonna see more of this sh*t. I’m gonna assume that you were around for a few flags, in which if that’s the case, you’ve had the memories of this team being successful, some of us on here weren’t around to watch generational talents play every week.

As I said, swings and roundabouts on drafting and trading. You just proved my point.

Hilarious that you are perpetuating the millennial stereotype with this entitled attitude. "Woe is me, I haven't seen the success. It's not fair! I'm entitled to it, Goddammit!!! I know, I'll just snipe a player from the cheap seats to feel better about things".

Dec 18, 2014
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
As I said, swings and roundabouts on drafting and trading. You just proved my point.

Hilarious that you are perpetuating the millennial stereotype with this entitled attitude. "Woe is me, I haven't seen the success. It's not fair! I'm entitled to it, Goddammit!!! I know, I'll just snipe a player from the cheap seats to feel better about things".
Not a millennial mate but nice try. And yeah, I demand this team win a premiership, what’s wrong with that? Sounds like you are making excuses for us being s**t for so long. And L-Mac getting “sniped”, well I’m sure If I go through this thread and several others, I surely won’t find any history of you or anyone else being harsh on players.

Not a millennial mate but nice try. And yeah, I demand this team win a premiership, what’s wrong with that? Sounds like you are making excuses for us being sh*t for so long. And L-Mac getting “sniped”, well I’m sure If I go through this thread and several others, I surely won’t find any history of you or anyone else being harsh on players.

Whatever.

This all started with your straw man call of people saying he's our best player. Not one person was saying that, so you only said it to have a whinge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Who was the Supreme_Chancellor in a previous life? I can’t keep up.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Caracas.

That's right. It was you.

1599433395133.jpeg

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Luke McDonald says a broken ankle was the catalyst for a ‘light bulb moment’, which has helped him to a career-best season.

McDonald's form has seen him to average 20 disposals and to successfully shutdown some of the game’s superstars this year.

“It’s been a good year personally in terms of my form just to play some of the footy that I sort of always knew I’m capable of playing,” McDonald told Sportsday WA.

“The catalyst was on the back of last year, I broke my ankle in Round 18.

“I was six years in to my career and hadn’t achieved anything I personally wanted to achieve, it was a bit of a lightbulb moment.

“I worked really hard to get back into as good a nick as I possibly could because I couldn’t really train until after Christmas and to be honest, that time between Round 1 and 2 with that COVID break, was awesome for me.

“I trained really hard with my roommate and it’s been good just to string a few games together and play a number of different roles.

“I’m feeling really confident in my footy at the moment and I suppose it’s been good to just to reward some of the guys who had faith in my over the journey and play some good footy.”

McDonald says while the on-field results have been disappointing it’s been a good opportunity for the Kangaroos’ younger brigade.

“At the start of the year we started really well with those two wins against really good sides but form just fell away and it’s obviously been really disappointing to find ourselves where we are.

“I suppose if you look at a positive spin we’ve been able to unearth some really good young guys and get some games into those guys that probably wouldn’t have got games in previous years.

“So whilst its really disappointing where we find ourselves its been good to see some young blokes get some games and get some continuity.”

With five Rising Stars in Bailey Scott, Tarryn Thomas, Cameron Zurhaar, Nick Larkey and Curtis Taylor over the past two seasons and the emergence of Luke Davies-Uniacke, Jy Simpkin, Jed Anderson, Jack Mahony and Tristan Xerri, McDonald says the future is in good hands.

“I’ve got a lot of confidence and faith in our list even as soon as next year, to really get us going up the ladder.

“LDU [Luke Davies-Uniacke] in particular the last three rounds, he’s really just growing in confidence and becoming a really, really solid contributor for us.

“We’ve always heard about his talent but it’s been really good to see especially coming from two pretty interrupted pre-seasons and seasons with injury. He didn’t really get to do much pre-season as he had a few groin issues but he’s getting that power and confidence into his body and its going to be pleasing watching him over the next few seasons.”

nmfc.com.au

Karla Zanardo - North Media

groo

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2009
geelong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think he is a lot more worth to the team tagging. His 15 metre kick-ins to the pockets are meaningless. Even more meaningless when he immediately calls for the ball back after positioning himself back in the goal square.

He's had a very good year, last week in particular was really strong - although I thought the few weeks prior teams were starting to work off him a bit. Letting him get the ball and squeezing him up (although that's probably got more to say about his team mates than him). Personally I'm just glad any time you can lock in a very good young player as a key part of your 22 for the next 5-6 years.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think Shaw would relate much better to LMac based on personalities and methods than Scott.

I'm not surprised he's improved considerably.

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
With Luke, it was a matter of when it was gonna click.

Being stuck in that back pocket for what seemed like an eternity, it just had to change.

He is a player that had heaps of ability basically put 'on hold' until the shackles were broken.

His disposal has improved because of the freedom he has to direct and create.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back