Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald - Roo til end '26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Forget about hard lock down, that's a waste.

He needs to play a kick behind play no matter where the ball is on the ground.

His ability to turn defence in to attack is a major weapon that is not being harvested properly at the moment.

He should be the focal point of our forward press.

Watch GR's clip again, but think about it from the perspective of a player who rolls up the ground with the midfield transition (when we get that right), rather than staying bolted down in the defensive 50:

Luke could turn 10-15 rebounds a game in to forward entries & scores, particularly now that his left foot has got it's laser guidance system back on line.
I wouldn't discount his tagging ability. Kept bont and others to very few possessions.

The Butcher

All Australian
Mar 8, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thanks for that together GR.

The most pleasing thing from last week for me was that I thought Luke had a bad start to the game, a lot of their good ball movement seemed to go thru his man, but he turned it around. For me that says a lot about his development.

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He is building that versatility reminiscent of someone like Birchall or Hodge. Able to intercept, lockdown, tag, do anything the coach requires.

It is one of the criteria for a premiership team that has already been ticked.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I dunno if you'll win the Syd Luke, but take a bow on a great season mate, you have finally realised your talent.

1600348459569.png

Fish Sticks

All Australian
Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What a player! Turned his season around massively, after the fist handful of games. It was looking to be another good serviceable year from Luke... then POW! He starts racking up the touches, linking up & using it well.
Breakout year, that I was starting to think may never come!
Always rated his kicking, he just lacked confidence, but now he backs himself in...
Very hard man to tackle too.
Top 3 BnF...

SammyRoo

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Reckon 12 months ago... An opposition forward that was told his likely match-up this weekend was going to be Luke McDonald would be like- “yeah, fine. Whatever ”

Now ..... The opposition forwards who have Luke McDonald coming up .... will be thinking about it ..... & know they will have tough match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back