Status
Not open for further replies.
LMac has not progressed at all

That seems a strange thing to say:

1: he's progressed statistically in every category

2: he's progressed in position

3: he's progressed in impact on games

4: and lastly he's progressed to 5th in the B&F

I'm annoyed at him sure. But that doesn't undo a very good year from him.

Luke will be a very good footballer. He has the rare ability on our list to win a match off his own boot.
His desire at the contest sets him apart and he’ll be the type of player to drag his teammates out of the fire in close matches or give them the ability to lift and follow him when the whips are cracking.

I always thought he was a bit ahead of himself when he first signed on and struck me as someone who just expected success to happen.
After last year I thought he showed glimpses of being a more mature person and it showed in some consistency in the second half of 2017.

This indiscretion is pretty minor, but sometimes we all need something like that to regain focus. Hopefully he’ll use it and be better for it.

I think he’ll be best and fairest this year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lmac needs to be told a few home truths. One, for the draft pick the club invested in him, he has not delivered. Is he a hbf? Is he a midfielder? And did he enjoy the list manager calling our list the worst in the afl. Did he think that was funny ? Or was he insulted and hurt and wants to prove something? Because he seriously needs to pull his finger out.
Someone buying into "the list manager" and spouting home truths? You're already in the running for moron of the year and the season hasn't even started.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Luke is a victim here of his own high standards, from player to club right through to the supporters. When you are held in such high regard youd think this was beyond him.

Most people have unrealistic expectations about a 21 year old kid that is emerging. If the improvement curve doesn't match their beliefs, they start to exhibit dissatisfaction. What people generally don't take in to account is asking themselves whether their expectations are rational.

Luke is tracking nicely for his age & experience, based upon age comparisons with similar types that went on to become very good players..

Where do you envisage McDonald ending up ranked amongst that group?

It's hard to say whilst they are fiddling about with his position.

I definitely think he could be an AA half back in time. AA wing spots now tend to go to non wingman.

I'm not currently convinced Luke has the make up to be an inside/outside midfielder.

I was asking more anecdotally, if you have a free hit on any of these players at their peak (which requires projecting for 2 of them) where do you imagine Luke might rate?

Better than Shaw & Laird. He probably won't have Docherty's marking ability, but he should be as good or better than him also.

Enright, well, he's all time great status, so I wouldn't go comparing him with any 22 year old player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Better than Shaw & Laird. He probably won't have Docherty's marking ability, but he should be as good or better than him also.

Enright, well, he's all time great status, so I wouldn't go comparing him with any 22 year old player.

If Luke gets to the point of trumping Shaw's 2010 then we have ourselves a player.

If Luke gets to the point of trumping Shaw's 2010 then we have ourselves a player.

Of course, damaging half backs need a strong side to show their wares.

Shaw would do him on burst speed, but Luke is more accountable and harder at the contest.

Problem is, what you are saying is just wrong. Factually, tell me where it says in a players contract that they can not drink alcohol in the season?

It doesn't matter what decade it is. Football players have hours. They turn up to work (the club) and do their job, what you are saying is just incorrect.

There would be many many legal problems if the club was to punish a player inside the work environment by perfectly legal actions taken outside of that environment. Again, they are not livestock, they are not owned.

Luke can likely be suspended for that match ONLY because he was on an NMFC camp. If he wanted to go to the pub every night, he could.

They pay NBA players millions and millions to play, they are all professional athletes. You know what most of them do after a game - head out and go clubbing. Its the same soccer, its the same with football. I think this picture of what people can demand of other people is somehow misaligned with reality.
Of course it doesn't say it in a contract. I never said it does. I said the onus is on the players and or club to police that how they see fit. You would hope that a player would do the right thing by themselves and their teammates. If they don't the club might intervene and set rules. They aren't legal rules but generally the player takes it as a reality check and admits fault - similar to what Jy did.

You clearly haven't worked in an elite althlete setting. Football isn't an office job. Your body is your tool and you are assessed on performance. It isn't a laptop you log into at 9am and shut down at 5pm. What you do 24/7 can impact your body both in the short and long term.

They are livestock, that's the harsh reality. That's sport in general. If you don't perform and the club do not want you they parade you in front of others, hoping they want to buy you. If no one does they pat open the gate, and say bye. If you're lucky they might keep you in some other capacity.

If he wants to go to the pub and drink every night that is on him. The coaches and players wouldn't appreciate it and it would impact his career negatively. I'm not sure if you understand the negative impact alcohol has on the body? Especially when we are talking about a sport that has arguably the most athletic people on the planet.

If we are comparing AFL athletes to professional soccer and NBA players we are in trouble. Vastly different cultures and drug testing procedures.

If you are any serious athlete you crave success. Both individually and team. This is from the top to the bottom at AFL clubs. I know first hand because I've worked with coaches who do university courses outside of work to increase their knowledge base. Players do it to, they want to improve their diets, understand how sleep can impact their recovery, how best to prepare themselves before games, and how best to recover afterwards. They speak to psychologists, dietitians, physios, exercise physiologists - the works. There is a reason why sports drinks, water, choc milk etc. are in the clubrooms after a game. That's what they want you to drink.

Dog eat dog and if you aren't taking your career seriously and giving it 100% you are just decreasing your possibility at getting the most out of your career.

I like Luke. I think he's a really good footballer but he has the potential to be elite. This is the frustration for the supporter base and i assume the coaches. I'm sure he will bounce back from this issue.

I hope the mindset isn't because expectations are low we should relax, we have to maintain professionalism or we will be another carlton/dees

Groin guru clearly BOG at moment. Slotting them from all angles.

On track to celebrate with a sparkling water and maybe even a little bit of lemon juice on his orange roughy tonight.
Sparkling water...carbonation. Give me an ice cold water with a few lemon wedges thanks. Perfect way to unwind and reflect on the good day i had. I'll wake up adequately hydrated, viitamin c has helped my immune system, and most importantly a clear mind ready for the day ahead.

Yeah thanks. Thats makes me feel so much better.
Ben C is a B plus at best. He is not A grade.
So you are saying relax Lmac, a player we have committed a top 10 pick on, is well on the way to being a good B grade player.
LOL

Compare him to Martin, Bont, Jkelly. This is the level we need to get to !

1) You are referring to 3 top ten picks from a pool of 50 players spanning 5 drafts. In other words a 6% hit rate, divided by 18 clubs. The chances of lucking in to that are 0.33%.

2) Luke isn't anything like those players in style.

3) North had pick 8. Would you trade him for Salem that went at pick 9?

1) You are referring to 3 top ten picks from a pool of 50 players spanning 5 drafts. In other words a 6% hit rate, divided by 18 clubs. The chances of lucking in to that are 0.33%.

2) Luke isn't anything like those players in style.

3) North had pick 8. Would you trade him for Salem that went at pick 9?
He was also touted to be one of the 17 year olds GWS had access to pre draft.
Same as Jkelly.
Correct ?
We were all hoping he could be that star we desperately were hoping for, but he is nowhere near that level.
If i had to graph his development. I would say he is tracking more towards Atley, than Jkelly.
Now i know you are going to post he is not Jkelly. So i will save you the trouble. I know he is not JK. I know he is not Martin. (I am using an example).

He was also touted to be one of the 17 year olds GWS had access to pre draft.
Same as Jkelly.
Correct ?

I dunno, but I also don't see a point.

We were all hoping he could be that star we desperately were hoping for, but he is nowhere near that level.
If i had to graph his development. I would say he is tracking more towards Atley, than Jkelly.
Now i know you are going to post he is not Jkelly. So i will save you the trouble. I know he is not JK. I know he is not Martin. (I am using an example).

He will be a star. A star half back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back