Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald - Roo til end '26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see what the big deal is. I think some of the frustration comes from knowing what he could potentially be. I'm frustrated that he's down back again. I desperately wanted another small defender so luke, mountford, clarke, atley, and jmac all stay out of there. Mid rotations and jmac as a winger.

The intent is there with luke. My issue keeping his kicking simple at times instead of giving it the big wind up. Needs to be given the auskick pulled aside treatment so he can work on his kicking. Otherwise he stays in. Not far off it.

You go around accusing long term members of not watching games and then refer to crude DE stats to try to prove your point.

Then you take this authoritarian line - supporters shouldn't criticise players, shouldn't highlight their ongoing mistakes and areas they need to work on.

Imagine you at list meetings - you'd be telling everyone not to criticise players. If you were in charge no one would ever be delisted.

This is professional sport pal. You can't be sweeping things under the carpet. You need to own your weaknesses and fix them.
You are delusional if you think McDonald's kicking doesn't need work. He can't hit targets so he kicks long, often to our disadvantage.

I really don't give a **** about Goddard. Although with supporters like you bagging our players sometimes I think I am on the Essendon board.

What I do care about is so-called North "supporters" potting our players on the back of a season that to date, has exceeded expectations.

And that doesn't happen if the team as a whole, and the playing group as individuals, are failing.

One week it's MacMillan. The next it's McDonald. This week someone is asking for Ziebell to be dropped FFS. And every other week it's the coach.

Thank christ that some of you morons aren't in the coaching group. We would have 4 changes every single week and wouldn't win a game.

I really don't give a **** about Goddard. Although with supporters like you bagging our players sometimes I think I am on the Essendon board.

What I do care about is so-called North "supporters" potting our players on the back of a season that to date, has exceeded expectations.

And that doesn't happen if the team as a whole, and the playing group as individuals, are failing.

One week it's MacMillan. The next it's McDonald. This week someone is asking for Ziebell to be dropped FFS. And every other week it's the coach.

Thank christ that some of you morons aren't in the coaching group. We would have 4 changes every single week and wouldn't win a game.
Do you actually believe that something written on this board can somehow "support" or discourage a player? Seriously, do you?

The thing I like about all our players right now is that they are sticking tight to a very clearly defined gameplan. We are not always successful, as this gameplan partly requires very precise kicking. Lmac is a case in point. He, always follows the gameplan to the letter, especially with regard to switching the ball inside at every opportunity. It results in turnovers at times, but Scott requires them to persist, in the expectation of improvement in the skill execution side of things, as the season progresses. It's apparent that some of us are prepared to take a patient approach to this, while others are less forgiving. So be it - time will tell. For the first time in the Laidley/Scott years, I am seeing signs of North playing in unison. They are starting to trust one another more. This will prove invaluable in the face of the constant pressure that is/will be exerted, particularly by Richmond. Normally, at live at North game, I get very agiitated when we turn the ball over. Yesterday, strangely, I was a bit more zen about things, as I could see more clearly what the team was trying to do. I strongly believe that LMac is in our best 22, whereas, I don't believe Clarke and Dumont are quite up to it, even though their intensity and effort cannot be faulted.

Last edited:
Thanks stats zombie - no doubt you reckon Goddard has had a good year averaging 20+ at 80% while having zero impact.

Atley playing forward - kicking into 50 to outnumbers under pressure. Cunnington and Anderson winning the hard ball, under pressure, handballing through congestion, kicking inside 50.

Even on that shitty app it was obvious that Cunners' kicking from free kicks/marks to targets inside 50 was shite in that first quarter and that had nothing to do with winning hard balls.

You go around accusing long term members of not watching games and then refer to crude DE stats to try to prove your point.

Then you take this authoritarian line - supporters shouldn't criticise players, shouldn't highlight their ongoing mistakes and areas they need to work on.

Imagine you at list meetings - you'd be telling everyone not to criticise players. If you were in charge no one would ever be delisted.

This is professional sport pal. You can't be sweeping things under the carpet. You need to own your weaknesses and fix them.
You are delusional if you think McDonald's kicking doesn't need work. He can't hit targets so he kicks long, often to our disadvantage.

You are correct champ, it is a professional sport. Or even a professional business.

And how do you think professional businesses measure the effectiveness of their employees / players? With Key Performance Indicators (or to dumb it down for you - lets call them stats).

They use these things called stats to get a more accurate read on whether a player is meeting the expectations of the coaching group or not. And if they are not, they get dropped. If they continue to fail, they are delisted.

Sure we don't have access to all of the stats that the club does, and even if we did, you'd probably still call for him to be dropped simply because you 'think' he is a s**t kick.

Do you actually believe that something written on this board can somehow "support" or discourage a player? Seriously, do you?

Did you actually read my post champ? Seriously, did you?

Did I actually state that the tripe you write has an impact either way on a player??? No I didn't.

To simplify it for you, I am sick of keyboard warriors like you who most likely sit in front of a game shoveling pies down their throat whilst yelling at players to try harder, and then post-match get on line and continue the vitriol using an anonymous username.

Did I actually state that the tripe you write has an impact either way on a player??? No I didn't.

To simplify it for you, I am sick of keyboard warriors like you who most likely sit in front of a game shoveling pies down their throat whilst yelling at players to try harder, and then post-match get on line and continue the vitriol using an anonymous username.

My vote for POTY

I suspect Brad Scott is building Lmac into a versatile player with the only requirement until he gets the experience into him being effort and defensive pressure.

Lmac has played in the back pocket, midfield, wing and foreard pocket this year.

His struggling, but that is the best way to learn.
Has the attributes to being a fantastic player down back, in the middle or upforward.

Folks around here need to understand, that we dont have the depth to contend with the top teams. Were only a couple of injuries from having another frustrating year...

Versitility to cover injuries is our current strategy until our depth improves. And the only way bnb you can do that is by giving players with the physical attributes to play anywhere the experience in different roles...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Haha. Go home then. You're spending time and effort replying to something you dismiss as worthless and admit has no impact on the players. Which is more pathetic?

I don't see what the big deal is. I think some of the frustration comes from knowing what he could potentially be. I'm frustrated that he's down back again. I desperately wanted another small defender so luke, mountford, clarke, atley, and jmac all stay out of there. Mid rotations and jmac as a winger.

The intent is there with luke. My issue keeping his kicking simple at times instead of giving it the big wind up. Needs to be given the auskick pulled aside treatment so he can work on his kicking. Otherwise he stays in. Not far off it.

I think that’s the issue here

Maybe he doesn’t want to play down back anymore as we all know hes admited that he loves playing midfield and having trained in the middle in the preseason has no doubt pissed him off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had 24 possessions at 75% DE.

Atley had 18 at 75%.

Anderson 28 at 68%.

Cunnington 38 at 66%.

Get your hand off it.
Probably should compare DE by position - midfield DE is always down on backline due to the nature of how the game is played.

Probably should compare DE by position - midfield DE is always down on backline due to the nature of how the game is played.
That said, seems our backline really struggled to get the ball out (which kinda aligns with richmonds game).

I suspect Brad Scott is building Lmac into a versatile player with the only requirement until he gets the experience into him being effort and defensive pressure.

Lmac has played in the back pocket, midfield, wing and foreard pocket this year.

His struggling, but that is the best way to learn.
Has the attributes to being a fantastic player down back, in the middle or upforward.

Folks around here need to understand, that we dont have the depth to contend with the top teams. Were only a couple of injuries from having another frustrating year...

Versitility to cover injuries is our current strategy until our depth improves. And the only way bnb you can do that is by giving players with the physical attributes to play anywhere the experience in different roles...

Yeah and if you want someone capable of covering for others in positions they aren't used to then you want a hard competitive bastard who will do everything possible to win the ball including "go back and win it again" when he *s up.

That said, seems our backline really struggled to get the ball out (which kinda aligns with richmonds game).

Our backline was under midfield like pressure - and yeah that is their game, so its not really surprising.

Yeah and if you want someone capable of covering for others in positions they aren't used to then you want a hard competitive bastard who will do everything possible to win the ball including "go back and win it again" when he ****s up.
Personally, i think his too hard on himself after making a mistake.

I've seen him drop his head several times after making a mistake while i was sitting on the boundary line at Etihad. If you look closely, he always follows up the next passage of play with added intensity.

Its definitely not from lack of effort or care.

The kid works bloody hard. His just trying to adjust.

Footy is a difficult, fast moving game that requires a player to make an accurate decision based on a multitude of factors at speeds that the average human will not be able to accomplish. And thats only half the competency required. You need to also have the skills to execute those decisions as well.

Fortunately, Lmac doesnt have a skills issue. Its a decision making issue that you would expect every player who is sked to play 5 different positions to have as they adjust.

Experience breeds familiarity which drastically improves decision making skills.

Mark my words, he will be one handy player...

Personally, i think his too hard on himself after making a mistake.

I've seen him drop his head several times after making a mistake while i was sitting on the boundary line at Etihad. If you look closely, he always follows up the next passage of play with added intensity.

Its definitely not from lack of effort or care.

The kid works bloody hard. His just trying to adjust.

Footy is a difficult, fast moving game that requires a player to make an accurate decision based on a multitude of factors at speeds that the average human will not be able to accomplish. And thats only half the competency required. You need to also have the skills to execute those decisions as well.

Fortunately, Lmac doesnt have a skills issue. Its a decision making issue that you would expect every player who is sked to play 5 different positions to have as they adjust.

Experience breeds familiarity which drastically improves decision making skills.

Mark my words, he will be one handy player...

I agree with everything you've said. I love the way he competes too.

Even on that shitty app it was obvious that Cunners' kicking from free kicks/marks to targets inside 50 was shite in that first quarter and that had nothing to do with winning hard balls.
You know what it had to do with? The fact that kicking into forward 50 is one of, if not the hardest kick in the game, unless you've just forced a turnover. And my point wasn't that they were under pressure AND kicking into 50, I was saying that many of their possessions were under pressure OR in congestion OR going into 50 or a combination.

So Cunnington going into 50 had Brown double teamed and multiple Richmond players zoning. He didn't bomb it, tried to pass it but was intercepted. If it were easy we'd kick 45 goals a week. That said, I'm sure he'll look at it, maybe look to give his kicks more height to get over zoning players or whatever the coaches come up with. And I'm confident he'll execute because in general he's a good kick.

You are correct champ, it is a professional sport. Or even a professional business.

And how do you think professional businesses measure the effectiveness of their employees / players? With Key Performance Indicators (or to dumb it down for you - lets call them stats).

They use these things called stats to get a more accurate read on whether a player is meeting the expectations of the coaching group or not. And if they are not, they get dropped. If they continue to fail, they are delisted.

Sure we don't have access to all of the stats that the club does, and even if we did, you'd probably still call for him to be dropped simply because you 'think' he is a s**t kick.
No worries pal, you go set your KPIs for North players based on AFL stats like DE and disposals - keep it simple, it suits you.

Just be aware that Jarrod McVeigh had 21 possessions at 91% against us. I'm sure he'd hit your KPIs. Not mine, not by a long shot.

As for me, I'll watch the games and make my own mind up.

And spare me the 90s management-speak garbage.

You know what it had to do with? The fact that kicking into forward 50 is one of, if not the hardest kick in the game, unless you've just forced a turnover. And my point wasn't that they were under pressure AND kicking into 50, I was saying that many of their possessions were under pressure OR in congestion OR going into 50 or a combination.

So Cunnington going into 50 had Brown double teamed and multiple Richmond players zoning. He didn't bomb it, tried to pass it but was intercepted. If it were easy we'd kick 45 goals a week. That said, I'm sure he'll look at it, maybe look to give his kicks more height to get over zoning players or whatever the coaches come up with. And I'm confident he'll execute because in general he's a good kick.

There were at least 2 occasions where he kicked it straight to the opposition player. From frees or marks iirc. the first one there was no pressure on him. No intercepts or outnumbers - just straight to where the opposition player was standing by themselves under no pressure. He had a great game tho. No one has ever played a perfect, mistake free game of football. I'm not having a go at him.

McDonald had more inside 50s and a third less major errors than Cunners. FWIW.

I think your (and others) criticism of McDonald is unreasonable.

There were at least 2 occasions where he kicked it straight to the opposition player. From frees or marks iirc. the first one there was no pressure on him. No intercepts or outnumbers - just straight to where the opposition player was standing by themselves under no pressure. He had a great game tho. No one has ever played a perfect, mistake free game of football. I'm not having a go at him.

McDonald had more inside 50s and a third less major errors than Cunners. FWIW.

I think your (and others) criticism of McDonald is unreasonable.
Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion. As I've mentioned I don't rate DE or disposals as an indication of how well or how poorly someone has played. An example would be McVeigh against us. He made two dreadful kicking mistakes which were very costly yet had 21 at over 90%. He also looked incredibly slow and panicky when Hartung chased him down from a long way back. He also chipped the ball sideways and backwards and didn't take the game on. Great for us - and perversely great for his DE and disposal stats.

As for Cunnington, I don't see him making kicking mistakes week in week out and I'm confident he'll hit targets across half back and take the game on. That said, North friends of mine reckon he should get back behind the mark quickly first rather than look to go inboard. I agree with that.

As for McDonald, players don't get the luxury of fixing clangers across half back very often, no matter how hard they try. I have my opinion on his kicking over a long period of time - enough said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back