Contested possessions #2
Hitout win % #2
Hitouts #3
Hitouts to advantage #3
Score launches (I don't know that this even is) #2
Stoppage clearances #2
Clearances #1
Centre clearances #1

Goldstein stiff to not even make the squad based on all the usual metrics.

WC vs Melb Naitanui 1 coaches vote, Gawn 0
WC vs Coll Naitanui 4 coaches votes, Grundy 0
WC vs North Naitanui 0-0 Goldstein

Melb vs North Gawn 0-0 Goldstein
Melb vs Coll Gawn 0-0 Grundy
North vs Coll Goldsten 0-0 Grundy

Overall Naitanui 56 votes, Goldstein 32, Witts next on 31. Been BOG several times, none of the others have really stood out as in previous years.

Last year the top 2 ruckmen in the AFLCA award were Grundy (82 votes, first ruck) and Gawn (70, bench). In 2018 it was Gawn (97, won the award, first ruck) and Grundy (bench).

Weird that people are shocked that Naitanui made it.

AFLCA votes are as relevant as the Brownlow imo.

They are 90% weighted to the winning team.

It's not Nic's fault North are perpetually terrible lmao

No s**t.

and I'm not even saying Goldy deserved to be AA.

I'm responding to the insinuation that NN was heads and shoulders above the next ruckman as a second midfielder, which is plain wrong.

Goldy averaged more contested possesions per game, more possessions, more marks.

They both finished top 10 in the league in clearances.

There wasn't much between them - NN was the starting ruck and Goldy didn't even make the squad!

1600984030689.png

No sh*t.

I'm responding to the insinuation that NN was heads and shoulders above the next ruckman as a second midfielder, which is plain wrong.

Goldy averaged more contested possesions per game, more possessions, more marks.

There wasn't much between them - NN was the starting ruck and Goldy didn't even make the squad!

View attachment 970162
Maybe it's time you start watching footy before you make yourself look any more stupid.

No sh*t.

View attachment 970162
It's a fair comment. I haven't watched too much of north this year so went and looked at the comparison. Effectively similar, although was surprised Goldy has less average hitouts per game with 24% more time on ground, considering he's second on the all time hitout list.
In the key ruckman stats, NN shades him: 58.1% hitout win% to 45.1%, 3% higher hitouts to advantage (NN rates as 'average', Goldy rates as 'below average', although is 3% a significant difference?), but Goldy gets to more hitout contests (probably time on ground).

Just wish the bloke could play a full game, then he would be head and shoulders above the rest.

Fly’n definitely deserved his spot, but I think he was talking about Liam’s twin brother Luke.
Aha...I see clearly now.
Although I only see AA as a token gesture it does however make for tip top debates.
As for Fly’n, great to see our Yamatji boy from the mid-west doing good after a turbulent start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People who dont understand how good NN is just baffles my mind. They either have an agenda or really just dont understand footy.

He was clearly the best ruck this year. His influence on games is ridiculous.

For those that dont understand this... well I just cant help you.

I remember Gary Dempsey i think he took the most marks in the VFL a staggering nine times, oh it was a different game back then Ruckmen won the Brownlow Medal nearly every year, players held their positions and we had some of the best one on one contests the game has ever seen.

I remember Gary Dempsey i think he took the most marks in the VFL a staggering nine times, oh it was a different game back then Ruckmen won the Brownlow Medal nearly every year, players held their positions and we had some of the best one on one contests the game has ever seen.

And football was so much more enjoyable to watch.

The one on one contests of that era were an absolute attraction.

Gary Dempsey one of the all time great ruckmen.

FFS Bontempelli (11 Goals) over actual forwards Papley (26 Goals), Butler (27 Goals) or Gunston (31 Goals)

That's been going on for decades. Just fill the team up with midfielders. A classic example was 1991 where Paul Hudson booted 62 goals from a flank, but the positions were given to Gavan Brown (15 goals) and Nicky Winmar (12 goals). If you don't believe me, look it up. Oh, and Hawthorn won the flag that year and not 1 player in the AA team. Let's face it people, it's just a case of people picking their favourites and they don't have to justify it to anyone.

At time it seems people overestimate how many mark rucks take on average. Surely more mobile one like Stynes, Cox or Martin rack up big numbers. Other not so much.

Still quite low. NicNat really is a strange case with his marking. Goes ok in the contested department. But he close to never takes uncontested marks. Averaging way less then 1 over his career. Probably really hard to find a player with a similar stat and so many games. Most somehow manage a few cheap marks a game.
There are a few factors at play here. Firstly, opposition teams do not leave Nic on his own. Any Mark is going to be in a contest.
Second he is a contested beast, not an aerobic beast. He is at the contest, not running into space.

Third (more about marking numbers in general) since his knee reconstructions, it has been noticed that he doesn’t fly into the pack like he used to. He tends to stay on the ground and not jump for the mark. Not sure if this is deliberate or psychological?

dempsey also played back pocket on the resting ruckman.

Ignoring that you are comparing an apple with an orange, Fly’n Ryan definitely earns his spot.
Anyways, it is just some token ritual that we need not get worked up about. Granted some selections leave you scratching your head.
I think he meant Luke Ryan which is equally as ridiculous. He’s been Freo’s best player by a mile this year and deserves his spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back