Player Watch #11: Max Gawn (C) – 6 x All-Australian, 2 x Best & Fairest, AFLCA Champion Player and Premiership Captain

When we went to the 2009 draft with picks 1,2,11 & 18 who would have thought we would get our superstar player at pick 34?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The only pick Prendergast and Harrington have to hang their hat on. What a complete shambles for the club other than Gawn that draft turned out to be.

The only pick Prendergast and Harrington have to hang their hat on. What a complete shambles for the club other than Gawn that draft turned out to be.

To be fair to them, it's a hardly their fault that our number 1 pick packed up and left (given he's been a pretty good player at GWS when fit), and that our club doctors ****ed up the number 2 pick's foot.

But yeah aint nice reading...

To be fair to them, it's a hardly their fault that our number 1 pick packed up and left (given he's been a pretty good player at GWS when fit), and that our club doctors ****** up the number 2 pick's foot.

I watched the under 18 carnival closely that year, and Martin was the best player by a mile to my eyes, i honestly didn't have a clue how Scully and Trengove were ranked of him. (probably only because of character concerns at the time, which has turned out to be nothing at the end of the day)

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
To be fair to them, it's a hardly their fault that our number 1 pick packed up and left (given he's been a pretty good player at GWS when fit), and that our club doctors ****** up the number 2 pick's foot.

Yes it is, Martin was clearly the better footballer than both but we chose the safe option.

Having slammed them for taking Scully and Trengove over Martin, i must confess that i wanted Nathan Vardy over Gawn at #34, simply because of Max's injury history. Thought he was just going to be one of those bean pole's who'd never be fit .

So :$ to me on pick #34.

Tapscott could have been something if he was developed right I reckon. 0 proof clearly but he could play.

He came on quickly and faded fast, usually an indicator that his body was already AFL ready at under 18's, had no scope for improvement though.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Having slammed them for taking Scully and Trengove over Martin, i must confess that i wanted Nathan Vardy over Gawn at #34, simply because of Max's injury history. Thought he was just going to be one of those bean pole's who'd never be fit .

So :$ to me on pick #34.

I reckon Vardy could Have been decent as well if he had a good run at it. Even early along at Geelong he still looked pretty good imo.

Gysberts was a massive reach. Tapscott looked like your standard late first rounder role player, certainly could have been decent

We took the wrong string bean midfielder, Nathan Fyfe at #11 would look a lot better right now. :'(

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
He came on quickly and faded fast, usually an indicator that his body was already AFL ready at under 18's, had no scope for improvement though.

Tough and kicked like a mule, wouldn't have been a 300 gamer but players with less skill sets have been molded into role players. could have been a Josh Hunt or Daniel Rich

I reckon Vardy could Have been decent as well if he had a good run at it. Even early along at Geelong he still looked pretty good imo.

Yea, funny how it works out, i was worried about Gawn being the injury prone one, Vardy looked the more sure bet to me, had a fair bit of muscle on him, even at under 18's.

Clearly Max's upside has been proven to be far greater than Vardy's though, even if Vardy had a decent run with injury, he wouldn't have the dominance that Max has all over the ground IMO. Could have been a very good (top 5-10 ruckman) but def no AA.

Tough and kicked like a mule, wouldn't have been a 300 gamer but players with less skill sets have been molded into role players. could have been a Josh Hunt or Daniel Rich

Josh Hunt would have to be the softest bloke with a rig like he had in AFL history. :D

I get comparison but Hunt played like an absolute fairy.

Back