Player Watch #11: Max Gawn (C) – 6 x All-Australian, 2 x Best & Fairest, AFLCA Champion Player and Premiership Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Big footy being my only foray into posting on social media thingys this comment is third hand from D’land but love the significance if true. Clayton Oliver posts “four more years of silver service.” That I like!

People on Demonland are so ******* cringe, apparently four years is too long because no one else would want to sign him up. Weird that there’s still a subsection of Dees fans who think you have to give out the bare minimum every time in order to be totally ruthless before anything else.

People on Demonland are so ******* cringe, apparently four years is too long because no one else would want to sign him up. Weird that there’s still a subsection of Dees fans who think you have to give out the bare minimum every time in order to be totally ruthless before anything else.

lol I saw that too, same people will demand Oliver and Petracca sign 8 year deals.

Lol. Gawn just turned 29 in December, he’ll be 33 by the end of his contract (turning 34 in that off season)

Todd Goldstein is turning 33 during this season, coming off arguably his 2nd best season and was possibly sort after by other clubs (Geelong)

I’m confident Max can still be a quality ruckman by the end of this contract

Also completely missing the fact that more years usually equals less money. Not to mention the fact that over the next 5 years, he'll be trading more and more ruck time with Jackson and be spending more time in the forward line, which hopefully comes with some more time spent on his goal kicking.

Also completely missing the fact that more years usually equals less money. Not to mention the fact that over the next 5 years, he'll be trading more and more ruck time with Jackson and be spending more time in the forward line, which hopefully comes with some more time spent on his goal kicking.

Yeah absolutely he'd be on less money than he is right now over that period.

Amazing that someone both so elite and so decorated has only played 138 games as a 29 year old. There’s good reason of course with the knee reco and the darts but it’s still huge.

Huge. In height yes, but more than that.

Comfortably the #1 ruck if the All-Australian team was named today. Every other year is has been contested against Naitanui or Grundy, but so far there's no contest.

He would be only the second ruck to be named for four straight AA teams (Dean Cox the other), and would sit second to Cox in total number of teams made (5, Cox has 6).

Huge. In height yes, but more than that.

Comfortably the #1 ruck if the All-Australian team was named today. Every other year is has been contested against Naitanui or Grundy, but so far there's no contest.

He would be only the second ruck to be named for four straight AA teams (Dean Cox the other), and would sit second to Cox in total number of teams made (5, Cox has 6).
Amazing that he would have done it in about 150 career matches too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazing that he would have done it in about 150 career matches too.

He’s just a phenomenal player. We all know that but there is a realisation dawning that we are witnessing a true Demon great of any era not just this one. Norm Smith, Barassi, Flower, Lyon, Stynes - he’s headed for that sort of territory. Max has a huge future in the game not just as a player but I think he will become a media star and public figure once the curtain closes on his playing career. He’s maturing into the full package.

Last edited:
Nearly broke the record for contested marks in a game and kicked a 'uge captain's goal.

He's in unbelievable form at the moment, a joy to watch
Gawn loves playing Hawthorn, I was thinking before the game he’s in for a big contesting marking game.

He equaled his career high of 8 which was also against Hawthorn in 2016, took 6 last year against them, and I remember that huge mark in the defensive 50 in the semi final 2018 during the last quarter when Hawthorn was coming

Coaches votes could be a good indicator. Clearly getting noticed the most. Kinda hard to miss him.
Even when he won the AFLCA award in 2018 he was eight votes off the Brownlow winner though. It’s a question of whether he’s able to have more impact around the ground this year with Jackson in the ruck, which should get him more votes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back