Player Watch #11: Max Gawn (C) – 6 x All-Australian, 2 x Best & Fairest, AFLCA Champion Player and Premiership Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Maxy's goals this season.

11 goals from set shots, and one more that he maybe should have been awarded during the GF. Hopefully the commentators will stop talking about his issues in front of goal every time he takes a mark inside forward 50 now, it’s so ******* annoying.

Geez he kicked some absolute blinders this year though from general play even before the prelim.

Still not really bad enough for the amount of attention it gets. Would have roughly the same set shot conversion rate as Petracca
He's missed one to win the game and he generally hooks them hard left when he does. I'd say it gets the attention it deserves. 11.15 suggests he ain't a great set shot mate.

Tracs doesn't get the same attention because he doesn't miss them in similar ways like Gawn

Still not really bad enough for the amount of attention it gets. Would have roughly the same set shot conversion rate as Petracca

It's because he has had more trouble with the easy set shots over his career, especially in big moments.

He's missed one to win the game and he generally hooks them hard left when he does. I'd say it gets the attention it deserves. 11.15 suggests he ain't a great set shot mate.

Tracs doesn't get the same attention because he doesn't miss them in similar ways like Gawn
Yeah but that was almost four whole seasons ago. Petracca had literally the worst expected accuracy differential in the league this year with roughly -30%, and Lobb, Membrey and Lynch were all around -20% but if those players get talked about for it I don’t think it’s to the same extent. It’s like how commentators would insist that Fritsch was a great set shot whenever he lined up in 2020 even though his expected accuracy record was also worse than Gawn’s. Max had a slight positive differential, so it’s not all about missing easy shots like Bluelegs said, he’s breaking even. Anyone would think he never kicks them based on the commentary

Clearly he’s not a great set shot, but it’s at the stage where it’s just something for the commentators to talk about. Don’t think I ever heard it mentioned before that Geelong game in 2018, and I don’t think I’ve ever heard it not mentioned when he’s lined up for goals since then. He’s not exactly Mason Cox but he’s decent for his height. I’d rather they stopped making the same joke about his goal kicking every time because it looks weird and started criticising how bland his tap ruck work is most of the time rather than constantly talking up how great it is, would be much more interesting

Anyway, I bet it will change - already noticed after R23 that there seemed to be less focus on his goal kicking during the finals

Our goal kicking in general is by far and away the worst in the league and has been for years. Feel like as well as technique a lot of it lines up with the self-defeating attitude which has been ingrained into the players psyches over the last two decades, can only hope it’s one of the things that improves next year with the shot of confidence winning a flag gives and the season becomes a long patch like the parts of them prelim and GF where we couldn’t miss

title needs an update

#11 Max Gawn - 2011 Premiership & All-Australian Captain

Our goal kicking in general is by far and away the worst in the league and has been for years. Feel like as well as technique a lot of it lines up with the self-defeating attitude which has been ingrained into the players psyches over the last two decades, can only hope it’s one of the things that improves next year with the shot of confidence winning a flag gives and the season becomes a long patch like the parts of them prelim and GF where we couldn’t miss

No surprises that guys like Brown and Fritsch with excellent technique and actual routines are far more reliable from set shots than someone like Trac or Oliver who just hit and hope.

No surprises that guys like Brown and Fritsch with excellent technique and actual routines are far more reliable from set shots than someone like Trac or Oliver who just hit and hope.
Fritsch is now, but wasn’t the case earlier. It’s pretty funny that Trac kicked 26.6 in 2017 because he’s otherwise been pretty hopeless. Oliver has one of the worst routines I’ve ever seen, it all goes to s**t in the last few seconds before he kicks which makes me thing it’s mostly mental.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fritsch is now, but wasn’t the case earlier. It’s pretty funny that Trac kicked 26.6 in 2017 because he’s otherwise been pretty hopeless. Oliver has one of the worst routines I’ve ever seen, it all goes to sh*t in the last few seconds before he kicks which makes me thing it’s mostly mental.

Fritsch always had an excellent technique, he just had a poor year in front of the sticks last year, was all mental for him. Oliver is absolutely technique issues, he gets no momentum in the runup and kicks under the ball too much.

I really believe it’s in their heads ( trac and Oliver ) for set shots . Both have kicked some good goals when snapping with no time to think . Anyway we saved being dead eye dicks for the one game it really counted, (from halfway into the 3rd q on ).

I really believe it’s in their heads ( trac and Oliver ) for set shots . Both have kicked some good goals when snapping with no time to think . Anyway we saved being dead eye dicks for the one game it really counted, (from halfway into the 3rd q on ).

Kicking goals from general play is a fair bit different to kicking goals from set shots, Trac has always been pretty decent from general play.

Fritsch always had an excellent technique, he just had a poor year in front of the sticks last year, was all mental for him. Oliver is absolutely technique issues, he gets no momentum in the runup and kicks under the ball too much.
That’s the mental aspect to technique though. It’s like he loses concentration whenever he’s kicking for goal - or kicking the ball in general - even though he’s able to go 100% in almost every other aspect of the game. He’s always falling over the footy or leaning back too far when he’s kicking for goal.

Kicking goals from general play is a fair bit different to kicking goals from set shots, Trac has always been pretty decent from general play.
Trac also horribly misses on the run aswell, he's kicking technique just isn't consistent. Kicked 27 goals or something from like 60 odd shots. Capable of kicking a freak goal no doubt but that's because there's no pressure to miss

Trac also horribly misses on the run aswell, he's kicking technique just isn't consistent. Kicked 27 goals or something from like 60 odd shots. Capable of kicking a freak goal no doubt but that's because there's no pressure to miss

I'd be interested to see the stats as I feel he would be over 50% from on the run but set shots well below that. I have seen him spray some but he doesn't look comfortable when he has to slow down (Oliver is even worse).

I'd be interested to see the stats as I feel he would be over 50% from on the run but set shots well below that. I have seen him spray some but he doesn't look comfortable when he has to slow down (Oliver is even worse).
That's most modern players really, most forwards are terrible set shots at goal. That's just footy now

I wonder if its due to high performance managerment and training load restrictions that they cant have tons of shots at goal every training session, like they used to.

I wonder if its due to high performance managerment and training load restrictions that they cant have tons of shots at goal every training session, like they used to.

This has been known for years.

If I was a forward, I would party hard for a month in the off season and then park myself in front of the goals and kick until I could goal in my sleep.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back