Player Watch #11: Max Gawn (C) – 6 x All-Australian, 2 x Best & Fairest, AFLCA Champion Player and Premiership Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Hasn't even played 100 games yet. Won't until next year at the earliest...unless we play 4 finals this year ;)
Would suck to lose a qualifying final. Want that second finals game to be a prelim at the G. :rainbow::D

Now 1st in the AFLCA award. Equal first in the Herald-Sun player of the year and top 5 in the Age player of the year

On 2018 form there is a strong case to be made for him being the best player in the league

Now 1st in the AFLCA award. Equal first in the Herald-Sun player of the year and top 5 in the Age player of the year

On 2018 form there is a strong case to be made for him being the best player in the league
But, but, but Brodie Grundy gets way more disposals :drunk:

If gawn nudges Grundy out for AA, the salt from pies fans will go nicely in the loony bin.

It'll be like Hogan beating cripps for the rising star all over again

I was thinking about the pies game on the weekend and I thought mason cox took some gawn esq marks in defense. This means grundy hasn't needed to work as hard as gawn to push back. Grundy hasn't been required to carry a team like gawn did against the saints.

If gawn nudges Grundy out for AA, the salt from pies fans will go nicely in the loony bin.

It'll be like Hogan beating cripps for the rising star all over again
Won’t happen. AA is a popularity prize. The yearly media hype can give you a pretty decent idea of who will make up the 22 and Grundy is the new toy. It doesn’t matter if it’s fair or not but the only way I see Gawn as making the list is if the panel take the approach of naming 2 rucks.

If you are selecting the AA side right now and picking the best ruckman it is Gawn easily IMO.
Best tap and takes marks almost whenever in his area.
Grundy being a 5th midfielder is great and he's a gun but they'll select 5 more mids in that side as it is on the wings and flanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won’t happen. AA is a popularity prize. The yearly media hype can give you a pretty decent idea of who will make up the 22 and Grundy is the new toy. It doesn’t matter if it’s fair or not but the only way I see Gawn as making the list is if the panel take the approach of naming 2 rucks.
Did you just say Gawn won't make AA? WTF?

It’ll be both Gawn and Grundy in the team at this stage.
That’s how it should be, but in the event they decide to go with one I have a suspicion they will go with Grundy. Not because it is the right decision (it’s not) but because the selectors are dickheads.

That’s how it should be, but in the event they decide to go with one I have a suspicion they will go with Grundy. Not because it is the right decision (it’s not) but because the selectors are dickheads.
It feel like the general perception of the AA Ruck battle at the moment has turned to Gawn being the concensus, given how much of an effect he has on each game he plays. But Grundy is still deserving should they want to pick two.

That said, they'll probably pick Grundy, and put Joel Selwood on the bench because there is some kind of contractual obligation to pick him in the team, regardless of if he deserves to be.

That's what i think, but i see a lot of hype in the media and Broadcasts saying Gawn is still the best ruckman in the league

I don't think there's any player in the AFL more popular than Max at the moment.

I'm usually not one for big calls, but if Max Gawn can stay fit, he'll be the #1 ruckman in the league in 4 years time.
Fair dinkum, with more strength and experience, Gawny will be near impossible for opposition defenders to match up on.
:eek: This “big call” was on the money

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back