Player Watch #11 Max Gawn - 3 Time All Australian

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CatRiot

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Threw a tenner down on the big man for the Brownlow @$51
I just threw $5 on him @ 101-1 on Ladbrokes...

How do you guys assess his chances this year?

He's on 16 votes on AFL Predictor... but I think Grundy might be just by a whisker slighly ahead of Gawn this year, but many votes will be pinched from Grundy by other Pies players, when comparing to Gawn.

I know rucks don't poll that great, but I suspect Tim Kelly our best chance will cop a heavy tag for the rest of season and could potentially drop a bit in polls, but is an extremely good chance.

Crusty Demon

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2009
Ferntree Gully
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
If he didn't win the brownlow last year, he will never win it. Especially given the fact we will end up having a considerable difference in win/loss this season which will make polling votes even harder. Not many taking votes off him this year though..

schmuttt

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
West Ham United

He's on 16 votes on AFL Predictor... but I think Grundy might be just by a whisker slighly ahead of Gawn this year, but many votes will be pinched from Grundy by other Pies players, when comparing to Gawn.

I know rucks don't poll that great, but I suspect Tim Kelly our best chance will cop a heavy tag for the rest of season and could potentially drop a bit in polls, but is an extremely good chance.
Depends how many games we win in 2nd half of the year. Brayshaw and Oliver aren’t anywhere near as good this year as last year so they aren’t going to steal as many votes off him.

Gysberts2Bate

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

Darn I should have jumped on those odds.

The Dr

Premiership Player
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Really enjoyed this debate re Gawn and Grundy - and how much better they are as a duo even compared to Cox/Sandilands at their peak.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
If he didn't win the brownlow last year, he will never win it. Especially given the fact we will end up having a considerable difference in win/loss this season which will make polling votes even harder. Not many taking votes off him this year though..
That’s why he’s a big chance this year. There’s normally a lag between a player really dominating and polling votes. Once your recognized as a gun you are way more likely to poll well. After the game, when the umps are considering their votes, your first thought would be how did the gun players go? I think the recognized guns have a mortgage on the votes unless someone else plays an absolute blinder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Topkent

Premium Platinum
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
That’s why he’s a big chance this year. There’s normally a lag between a player really dominating and polling votes. Once your recognized as a gun you are way more likely to poll well. After the game, when the umps are considering their votes, your first thought would be how did the gun players go? I think the recognized guns have a mortgage on the votes unless someone else plays an absolute blinder.
No chance
Rucks don't poll well, rucks in a 4 win side really don't poll well

Sylvia Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
3 time AA now - fair effort by Max. Who was our last three timer? We have a lot of one season wonders.

Maybe not the right thread but other teams' players make the team when they are ancient - Houli, Pendlebury and Hurn for instance, why do our players suddenly become terrible once they hit their late 20s.

00Stinger

Duel Group 1 winner
May 8, 2007
@ HOME
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool & San Francisco 49ers
3 time AA now - fair effort by Max. Who was our last three timer? We have a lot of one season wonders.

Maybe not the right thread but other teams' players make the team when they are ancient - Houli, Pendlebury and Hurn for instance, why do our players suddenly become terrible once they hit their late 20s.
Gary Lyon

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

mrmonkey

Premiership Player
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
No point having a bnf this year quite clearly our best player certainly our most consistent. I had Salem earlier in the year was very consistent but he just fell away badly in the end, gawn however you could rely upon no matter how poorly the team played this year.

Gysberts2Bate

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
No point having a bnf this year quite clearly our best player certainly our most consistent. I had Salem earlier in the year was very consistent but he just fell away badly in the end, gawn however you could rely upon no matter how poorly the team played this year.
I don’t know if Salem was ever really leading it for a substantial period. Gawn was pretty dominant pretty early

Proper Gander

Owl whisperer and secret agent
Feb 15, 2015
Port Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I don’t know if Salem was ever really leading it for a substantial period. Gawn was pretty dominant pretty early
Agree. Salem just got mentioned more frequently because during the first part of the year his form noticeably lifted. Gawn was better throughout, but we take that for granted and rarely note it.

Top Bottom