Player Watch #11 Max Gawn - 3 Time All Australian

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gysberts2Bate

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think Salem was leading it after round 1. That might be it.
I was gonna specify as much but wasn't sure if it went without saying ha. At any rate Salem's season really ended up being not that much to write home about. Played well against the Eagles and the Lions in the back half but was also a big part of the reason we lost seven games in a row to end the season. His kicking went to absolute s**t late IMO and started picking up a lot of empty touches.

Topkent

Premium Platinum
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I was gonna specify as much but wasn't sure if it went without saying ha. At any rate Salem's season really ended up being not that much to write home about. Played well against the Eagles and the Lions in the back half but was also a big part of the reason we lost seven games in a row to end the season. His kicking went to absolute s**t late IMO and started picking up a lot of empty touches.
Salem's completely wasted as a backline player.

Topkent

Premium Platinum
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
the club have an obsession with moving anyone who can kick to the backline.

Salem, Vince, Lewis

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk
Don't forget Fristch and Melksham both playing in the back line aswell.

I think modern footy is all about using the ball in the forward half not the back half anymore.

Gysberts2Bate

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
If our actual defenders (Lever, May, Jetta, Frost, Hore) can stay fit four of them are very good disposers. I think Langdon will play out of defence and hopefully Salem will be released as Fritsch was to play up the ground.

schmuttt

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
West Ham United
If our actual defenders (Lever, May, Jetta, Frost, Hore) can stay fit four of them are very good disposers. I think Langdon will play out of defence and hopefully Salem will be released as Fritsch was to play up the ground.
Langdon will play on the wing mate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gysberts2Bate

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Well yes it is, you said our biggest problem would get worse with Langdon on the wing so one would imagine our biggest problem getting even worse makes us a worse side.
Our biggest problem isn’t fixed by having a winger for the sake of having one when our garbage kicking inside 50 is why our lack of good outside players is such an issue. Langdon is one of the worst at it in the comp, it’s not going to be the right role for him to play for us.

Topkent

Premium Platinum
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Our biggest problem isn’t fixed by having a winger for the sake of having one when our garbage kicking inside 50 is why our lack of good outside players is such an issue. Langdon is one of the worst at it in the comp, it’s not going to be the right role for him to play for us.
Yeah I'm kinda on the fence with Langdon. If ANB was given the freedom outside that he gets I'm not certain he couldn't do a similar job

Topkent

Premium Platinum
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
We don't play with wingers and we don't attack the wings. Langdon is an aerobic beast who was rated one of the worst kicks in the AFL by champion data. 80% of his kicks were turnovers going inside 50. All that happens is he is allowed to play exclusively outside at the dockers.

Gysberts2Bate

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
We don't play with wingers and we don't attack the wings. Langdon is an aerobic beast who was rated one of the worst kicks in the AFL by champion data. 80% of his kicks were turnovers going inside 50. All that happens is he is allowed to play exclusively outside at the dockers.
Look at the Freo v Essendon game. Hill (who just had an off night, is normally a good user going inside 50) and Langdon released to the outside. Massive possession numbers, massive turnovers, Essendon never looked like losing. Langdon alone isn't somehow going to be a panacea to our midfield mix. IMO would be much more suited to bringing his big pressure game and groundball ability and run and carry to our back half.

Last edited:

schmuttt

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
West Ham United
FFS mate ANB s**ts himself under little pressure and fumbles the ball, the guy doesn't even get basic skills right.

Look at the Freo v Essendon game. Hill (who just had an off night, is normally a good user going inside 50) and Langdon released to the outside. Massive possession numbers, massive turnovers, Essendon never looked like losing. Langdon alone isn't somehow going to be a panacea to our midfield mix. IMO would be much more suited to bringing his big pressure game and groundball ability and run and carry to our back half.
I don't think Langdon is going to suddenly make us into a finals side but he absolutely improves us on the spread.

Top Bottom