Player Watch #11 Max Gawn - 3 Time All Australian

Gysberts2Bate

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
FFS mate ANB s**ts himself under little pressure and fumbles the ball, the guy doesn't even get basic skills right.

I don't think Langdon is going to suddenly make us into a finals side but he absolutely improves us on the spread.
We aren’t coached to spread. If the coaches change the game plan because we get Langdon I’ll be happy to see some results.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mrmonkey

Premiership Player
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don’t know if Salem was ever really leading it for a substantial period. Gawn was pretty dominant pretty early
I still thought Salem was very consistent early, I guess that with Gawn it's expected that he'll perform week after week it's easy to overlook how well he's been playing because it's at such a high standard.

schmuttt

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
West Ham United
Unpopular football opinion;

Max Gawns season was overrated and he was fortunate to be selected in the AA.
Statistically he was better than last year in a lot of areas but don't feel he had the impact on the game as much, especially in hitouts.

Jamurp

Club Legend
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Still remember his game against the Cats down at Geelong in 2015 when we finally broke the hoodoo, not certain it was his breakout game, but the first I saw that made me think how good he could and would be.

Champion, just wish we’d had a better year as a club to compliment him.

Cannon82

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
He had a great year. He's a 208 cm tap ruck who can get around the ground and has excellent skills for a big ma(r)n. He's genuinely one of our better field kicks, which is more of an indictment on the rest of the side. He can make the game look ridiculously easy at times but is prone to the odd clanger and shank - if anything I think his season is underrated. If our mids had been in better form / more dominant, I'm sure people would be raving about the season he just had. His tap work could have been better but the people on the end of it were just as much if not more at fault.

saj_21

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2007
unlisted
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Still remember his game against the Cats down at Geelong in 2015 when we finally broke the hoodoo, not certain it was his breakout game, but the first I saw that made me think how good he could and would be.

Champion, just wish we’d had a better year as a club to compliment him.
What I loved in that game was his contested marking. His marking this year was very poor. The giants game at the G was the only time I remember him taking some big marks.

Johnny Karate

Club Legend
Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
What I loved in that game was his contested marking. His marking this year was very poor. The giants game at the G was the only time I remember him taking some big marks.
Yeah. He deserves credit for working his arse off but some of those games like Queen’s Birthday were really stat padding. He’s far more effective when he takes intercept marks or rocks forward to take a contested grab.

Gysberts2Bate

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
What? He took the sixth most contested marks in the comp this season and his intercept marking went to another level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

stEdy

Team Captain
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Didnt have the connection with the mids like last year, I think we forget how much of an edge that gave us last year. Some of those 3rd quarters when we would stream forward from every bounce with a decisive clearance were unbeatable. Probably more the mids fault as Gawn was still getting a heap of taps this year, just not making use of it.

jhong

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Sheffield Wednesday fc
By our standards he had a good year , by his i reckon his 2018 year was more influential for the team . His connection with the mids was not as good this season.

Top Bottom