Player Watch #11: Max Gawn (C) – 6 x All-Australian, 2 x Best & Fairest, AFLCA Champion Player and Premiership Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

I dunno about that

This year NikNat was for sure but overall there wouldn't be much difference between the two. NikNat is more flashy with his big leaps and hitouts which catch the eye. Whereas Gawn just bangs it down the throat of our midfielders without looking flashy
Gawn has the soft touch, doesn’t look as flashy but just as effective if not more.

Gawn is a better set play tap ruck, but Nic Nat better at it generally.
I'd have it the other way round. Nic Nat's best hits seem to be predetermined.
Also NN benefits from having a more balanced midfield and one of the best forward lines for them to kick to. Hitouts and clearances look great when JK/Darling/Ryan are hit up to slot a goal. Nicer than bombs to Fritsch in a 1v3 anyway.

When was the last time we had a genuine star of the comp like Gawn that gets individual nods when its a 50/50 call?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

I'm sorry but I thought Max wasn't great this year. His stats might look good but I thought he was extremely ineffective in the ruck - whether that is his fault, or our boneheaded mids, I don't know. I will say he was fantastic in dropping back in defense though, which is what probably gave him the nod. Not the best ruck in the comp this year. Sorry Max, I still love you and well done.

Until he and the midfield actually start using his hitouts to advantage he is overrated ,sorry. Shouldnt have been close to an all australian this year.

Would love a breakdown on how Freo went with Sandilands in his prime and how effective they were using the amount of hitouts he would win.

Nothing to back this up, but I feel it would put 2019 & 2020 Melbourne to shame.

Do we have any reliable information about how we perform with him in the team and without - or maybe how our midfields performance changes when he is in/out of the team

My intuitive watching of some replays is that we are not better with him in the ruck (same as ADatP) but maybe the performance of the midfield is perhaps a good indicator

Do we have any reliable information about how we perform with him in the team and without - or maybe how our midfields performance changes when he is in/out of the team

My intuitive watching of some replays is that we are not better with him in the ruck (same as ADatP) but maybe the performance of the midfield is perhaps a good indicator
Using purely clearances this year

With Gawn we won the clearance count 9 times, lost 3 and drew 1

Without Gawn we won 1 time and lost 2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Using purely clearances this year

With Gawn we won the clearance count 9 times, lost 3 and drew 1

Without Gawn we won 1 time and lost 2

OK so probably not enough to go on as I think out game plan changed a little, but purely on those stats he does make a difference right?

OK so probably not enough to go on as I think out game plan changed a little, but purely on those stats he does make a difference right?
I’d say he makes a difference on clearances, but hard to say overall game. The games he missed were North, Collingwood and the Bulldogs.

We lost the clearances against North and the Pies but won the games easily. We won the clearances against the Dogs but lost the game.

There are other factors to look at.
I wonder when Max plays if our game plan focuses in on winning the stoppages compared to when he’s out we focus on ball movement more, I’m not too sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back